Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Writing on CDs

(!)

Member with 2,064 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 04:10 PM #1
Writing on CDs
Is it okay to write on CDs with a regular (permanent) Magic Marker? I mean the top part, of course, not where the data goes on.

I've been using a regular marker (a fine one) but someone gave me a pack of CD markers (the label calls them this) that say "safe to write on cds with".

Even though they seem like (and smell like) regular markers.

I'm thinking maybe they just say this and charge more, implying you need special markers for this and it's not safe to use any other kind ?

People have given me CDs that are written on with what looks like regular, black Magic Markers.

The only thing I can think of,(if it's not good to use regular ones) is if there's chemicals in them that sink into the CD or something.

~ Carrie
Account Disabled with 2,025 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 04:39 PM #2
i have always used permanent marker without a problem ....had cd`s breakdown on me , but not because of the marker ....
Member with 2,064 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 04:54 PM #3
Thanks!

That's what I thought, but wanted to check for sure.

Putting "safe to use on CDs" on the package just implies that you need special kinds (that probably cost a lot more), in order to sell them.

~ Carrie
Account Disabled with 2,025 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 04:58 PM #4
yep , i would agree with you there ..... $,
Member with 69 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2004, 05:17 PM #5
It's all about marketing, and money is always the bottom line. They've been doing this to consumers for many years.
Sorry, I'm ranting.
Member with 2,064 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 05:57 PM #6
I once read (and sometimes remember) "if something doesn't make sense, look to see who has a vested interest in having it the way it is".

This had to do with why marijuana is illegal, and (supposedly) because the hemp industry would put so many other companies out of business. Paper, and cloth were two I remember. And that hemp is more economical and better for the environment.

Not sure how accurate that is, but it makes sense.

Smoking pot also seems less destructive than cigarettes or drinking alcohol.

~ Carrie
Senior Member with 1,452 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 06:49 PM #7
A Sharpie, don't we all use those, will bleed through over time. It can black out some data. Of greater concern is how cheap blank media has become. Humidity, poor storage habits and poor handling mess them up as well. Even flexing a CD to pop it out of the jewel case can harm it. Once that aluminum film inside gets damaged it's all downhill.
Member with 2,064 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 08:33 PM #8
Maybe it also depends on how thick we put the marker on?

Are other brands okay?

I'm still new to cd burning, so haven't had many of them long enough to have something happen to them.

Floppy disks are so fragile, too. Of course, I stored mine by throwing them in a box

~ Carrie
Senior Member with 1,452 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 09:02 PM #9
If you have the chance to use a marker designated for such use it may pay off in the end. You can also use labels. Note that the label should be designed for use on CDs. If the label doesn't cover the CD properly it can cause the media to wobble in the drive. Some drives spin the disc at speeds up 24,000 rpm. They can shatter if a damaged disc is used in a high speed drive. Cd labels and markers can be inexpensive enough and for me at least they last a long time.
How CDs work
Member with 2,064 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 09:47 PM #10
I have a marker for cds but it's starting to wear out.

I live in a rural area and don't have a way to get to many stores.

Do you know any good online places to buy things like that?

I once found what looked like a good deal on white cd envelopes (for 100) but, they were charging something like $12 for shipping and handling so I didn't get them.

Notice how some place seem to have low prices and then add extra for "shipping" to make up?

~ Carrie
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2004, 10:21 PM #11
Right after I began burning CDs, something--I forget what--prompted me to Google "writing on CD-R's" and I got a gazillion hits on the topic. I read a great number of websites and forums and at that time, the overwhelming consensus was DON'T WRITE ON CD-R's WITH MARKERS!" The reason given was that the ink in the marker (most of the time, a Sharpie) would bleed through that top layer, down into the data layer and corrupt it. No one seemed to have a timetable for the data corruption, however. I did run right out and buy a package of special CD markers. Call me gullible, if you will, but the cost of these markers is not significantly more than the cost of Sharpies, so what's the harm? What if these people are right, and the ink does bleed down and destroy data?
Since I've been visiting more forums lately, I've found that it's fashionable to brag that you use Sharpies and that all the business about them destroying data is just a marketing ploy.
So....who knows? I've yet to see a set of CD markers for more than five bucks. And you get four, in four colors.

Sally
Member with 2,064 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 10:33 PM #12
It's not so much the money for me (though that is a consideration) as to finding a place I can get them.

I wonder if they sell them in a regular drugstore (we have Brooks and Rite Aid)?

We have no "discount store" in the area and I don't have a car of my own, so have a hard time getting things at Walmart, which is 25 miles away in NH.

I do buy things online (just won an auction for 100 CD-R Memorex on a spindle on ebay. Came to $23 in all with shipping. These are $17 for 50 at Walmart and I have to find someone who is going there or will go for me)

Maybe I should look on ebay for the cd markers?

I don't mind using special ones if it's best. Just it's a hassle if I don't HAVE to.

~ Carrie
Member with 6,832 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 11:00 PM #13
I have read that a regular “fine” Sharpie will eventually bleed through. I think it has to do with the thickness of the painted surface. I have some old CDRs without paint that I don’t write on at all.

I use an extra-fine Sharpie and write on my CDs if they have a painted surface and not a silver one. I have CDs I have stored for years with no problem that I wrote on with the extra-fine Sharpies. The important thing is to keep them in the dark.

I have also read that the markers made for CDs are safe. Labels of any kind can cause problems unless you have a good kit with the ones that cover the whole surface, and apply them properly.
Member with 2,064 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 11:05 PM #14
I didn't realize there was so much to this topic when I first asked.

The CD markers smell just like the regular ones!

How can you tell if the markers do something to the cds at some point? I mean, sometimes a cd will stop working, whether it's written on or not.

That's good to know about the labels causing problems if not put on correctly.

I had never heard of silver ones, but was looking for blanks on ebay last night and saw some that looked like "cheap deals" that called them this. Silver-silver I think it was.

For some reason I thought it might not be good, maybe because they were so much less.

I decided to stick with the known brands, and ended up getting Memorex 52X.

I have been using these, and know they work. I haven't been burning CDs very long to see how they keep or store.

they look like they have a coating on the top.

~ Carrie
Member with 2,064 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 11:23 PM #15
Found this on an ebay auction (copied/pasted misspelling and all)

They are $4.99 for 4 plus $1.55 shipping and says if you don't pay $1.30 insurance the seller won't be responsible if they are stolen. (well, what if they don't SEND them and say they did and they were "stolen" (LOL)

YOU ARE BIDDING ON SET OF 4 CD MARKERS(EACH MARKER OVER 3.5 INCH LONG)PERMANENT SAFE INK ESPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR WRITING ON COMPACT DISC.THIS MARKER IS WATER BASED.PERMANENT AND NON-TOXIC,THE ONLY PEN GUARANTEED 100% SAFE FOR WRITING ON COMPACT DISC.MARKERS MIGHT HAVE TEXT WRITTEN ON THEM.

Specifications/Features :

1. Color: Black, Red, Blue,Green
2. Specially design for writing notes on compact disc.
3. Guarantee 100% safe of CD Data for writing on the
compact disc.
4. Non-toxic.
5.Factory sealed and fresh
IF YOU USE THE LEAST EXPENSIVE SHIPPING YOU ARE BUYING AT YOUR OWN RISK,IF IT GETS STOLEN SORRY BUT WE CAN NOT GIVE YOU A REPLACEMENT(ONLY IF YOU PURCHASE A $ 1.30 INSURANCE)ALL MARKERS ARE SHIPPED IN BUBBLE PADDED ENVELOPE USING USPS.IF DEFECTIVE YOU GET A REPLACEMENT NO MATTER WHAT (CONTACT US WITHIN TWO WEEKS AFTER YOU RECEIVE YOUR ITEM) BUY OR WIN 3 OR MORE SETS AND GET FREE SHIPPING CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES

SERIOUS VERIFIED BIDDERS, WITH CONFIRMED ADDRESS REQUIRED. ANY QUESTIONS ASK BEFORE BIDDING, FOR ADDITIONAL PICTURES EMAIL US. BID WITH CONFIDENCE.WE WANT OUR COSTUMERS TO BE AS REASONABLE AS WE ARE. IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH OUR MERCHANDISE LET US KNOW BEFORE POSTING NEGATIVE FEED BACK, WE WILL TAKE EVERY EFFORT TO RESOLVE ANY ISSUES YOU MIGHT HAVE. FARTHER MORE WE RESPECT YOUR IMAGE AND POST EXCELLENT POSITIVE FEED BACK ON YOUR ACCOUNT. NEGATIVE FEED BACK POSTED TO UNREASONABLE COSTUMERS AND NONE PAYING BIDDERS. FOR COSTUMERS LEAVING NEGATIVE FEED BACK FOR FUN, WE RETURN A FAVOR WITH OUT FURTHER NOTICE AUTOMATICALLY, FURTHER MORE WE CONTACT EBAY AND SQUARE TRADE. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE SHIPPING COMPANY. (CHECK THE SHIPPING AND HANDLING RATES BEFORE BIDDING)YOU MUST ACCEPT OUR FLAT SHIPPING HANDLING AND PACKAGING RATES IN ORDER TO BID ON OUR AUCTIONS,THERE IS NO HIDDEN SHIPPING CHARGES. WITH ANY QUESTIONS, EMAIL US BEFORE BIDDING. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO COLLECT ANY SUBMISSION FEES, DAMAGES OR ATTORNEY FEES FROM NON-PAYING BIDDERS.

PERMANENT AND NON-TOXIC MARKERS,THE ONLY PEN GUARANTEED 100% SAFE FOR WRITING ON COMPACT DISC.DO NOT USE SHARPIE OR OTHER OFFICE SUPPLY MARKERS TO MAKE NOTES ON YOUR CD-R OR DVD-R MEDIA,IN TIME YOUR DATA MIGHT NOT BE READABLE BY YOUR COMPUTER CD PLAYER OR DVD PLAYER,REGULAR OFFICE PERMANENT MARKERS CONTAIN ACID PENETRATING YOUR CD SLOWLY CAUSING PERMANENT DAMAGE TO YOUR RECORDED MUSIC,MOVIES OR DATA.THIS IS PROVEN TO BE TRUE,THAT IS WHY SOME COMPANIES STARTED MAKING MARKERS SAFE FOR MAKING NOTES ON ANY CD MEDIA!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!