Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

distortion of images after downloading from camera to pc

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Aug-2004, 05:37 PM #1
Unhappy distortion of images after downloading from camera to pc
Have recently purchased an Olympus C765UZ digital camera supplied with camedia master 4.2 software. When downloading images from camera to pc using supplied USB cable the images become distorted within cam master . thumbnail images look ok, but when viewed in main window show distortions/corruptions. Horizontal lines across image. disjointed lines. broad bands of colour distortion. Also when editing an image, the editing goes well until I try to save it. At this point image becomes totally trashed.
When trying to print a page of say 6 images to fit A4, printing usually fails with "the program has performed an illegal operation. if problem persists please contact the vendor" and I have to close and usually re-boot.
My hardware op system meets product requirements namely :-
HP Vectra with
Intel Celleron (TM) 700 mhz processor
255 mb ram
Windows 98SE operating system
The onboard graphics card is Intel 82815 graphics controller using 9-10 mb of ram.
I have bought and installed a Radeon 64mb AGP graphics card using the AGP slot and disabling the onboard Video card in the BIOS. This appeared to work fine for everything else but did not fix my digital photos imaging problem, so I removed it and re-enabled the original graphics card. Olympus support not much good.

Any ideas!
Armababe
Account Disabled with 8,373 posts.

11-Aug-2004, 06:55 PM #2
Have you tried viewing/editing the images with any other software...

Have you tried to print just one?

perhaps Irfanview
Member with 6,832 posts.

12-Aug-2004, 09:25 AM #3
The camera will show as an extra drive in Windows Explorer when it is connected. Click on the drive until you show the individual pictures. Edit>Select all. Right click on any one of the highlighted images and select “Copy”.

Find a place on the computer where you want the images. File>New. Type a name like “Bubba 12Aug 04”. Right click on your new folder and select “Paste”. All of the photos will download into that folder. They will not be distorted and will open and print in a program like Irfanview with no problem. If they are distorted in Irfanview or whatever you are using as your default viewer you have a problem with the camera. Irfanview will not print multiple images on a single sheet, but you can import the images from the folder into Camedia if you want to do that once you determine the images are OK. It is better to have your images in your own folders than let Camedia control their import and storage.

I have Camedia 4.0 and find it about as useless as any software I have ever encountered. It does a nice job of stitching panoramas, but otherwise it is best avoided IMO.

You could be running out of resources or RAM. Your best bet is to clean out your startups: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php Also run the free version of Adaware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

If your problem is in Camedia this will allow you to print 4 images on a single sheet: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/zappicbrowser.html
Member with 1,068 posts.

12-Aug-2004, 01:45 PM #4
I never liked the free Camedia softeare that came with my camera either so I bought Camedia pro a long time ago and didn't like that either. I have XP and a card reader so I use the Windows picture viewer to upload the pics from th card reader then from there I use PSP or photoshop elements to edit them if need be. If you are going to be uploading a lot of pictures you might consider a card reader and they are very cheap now like $20 or sometimes even free after a rebate lately at my local office store.

13-Aug-2004, 11:49 AM #5
Thanks to all respondents.
slipe. I have tried copying and pasting from the temporary drive created by camera. Some images ok, some not.
acraftylady.
I have been considering an alternative means of uploading the pictures. I have used a slot on a friends EPSON printer which takes XD picture cards. The pics were ok on his machine.
Buck52.
I have viewed the images in free windows Kodac imaging viewer. Some were ok. others distorted .
I took the memory card to BOOTS chemist and got them all put onto disk. Put the disk in my machine at work and viewed all pictures in windows imaging software . They were all fine.
So then took disc home and viewed same images using same windows imaging software. Most seemed ok, but some did show distortions, however same pics looked ok a while later. BOOTS supplied free viewer and provided pics in low and hi resolution.
Using free viewer also showed distortions in some images which when the files were saved to hard drive retained the distortions. Also this viewer also crashed out with any attempt to edit.
So I think it may well be the limitations of my PC and memory. Though I don't know how to overcome it as I thought I had met all requirements of the software as explained on the box. Will try using it on my daughters pc this weekend to see how camedia behaves on that. It is a faster machine with more memory.

thanks for the advice
Account Disabled with 8,373 posts.

13-Aug-2004, 12:07 PM #6
Your system should handle what your trying to do

I have an old HP running 98 with onboard video and 192mb of ram and have no trouble...not the speediest thing but it works fine for all but giant files from my new camera...

If it were me I'd ditch the Camedia software...while your at it ditch the Kodak viewer that comes with Windows...I get a headache just thinking about that program ... and give Irfanview a try...it's free and a very robust image viewer...

If you need to print multiples try the software slipe suggested

buck
Member with 1,068 posts.

13-Aug-2004, 04:53 PM #7
I am not computer expert but do you have the latest drivers for the new video card? I have heard when people have graphics problems with a new video card they are told to make sure they have the latest from the manufacturers website. Also does this just happen with pictures from the digital? When someone e-mails you some photos or if you get some pictures from the net how do they view on the computer? Another thing did you try viewing the photos in IE, that's how I used to view them in 98.

25-Aug-2004, 12:51 PM #8
To Crafty Lady. Yes when installed new AGP card also installed driver for it though it took some finding.(Hidden away in a folder ) The pc looked great with it but it didn't fix my image distortions.
Buck, I will try to get the Irfanview product.
I took the camera, cable and camedia software to shop where I purchased same. We loaded software on their computer. Downloaded images . They were all perfect. So camera is ok and software probably is too. It must be the crappy pc.
Went to pc world and bought a new HP Pavilion. Hope it works with that. Might load Irfanview on the old one anyway to give it a try.

thanks Armababe
Member with 1,068 posts.

25-Aug-2004, 12:56 PM #9
Maybe the monitor is defective. Lucky you on the new computer, have fun.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!