Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Photo Printing Wizard - I want to delete its cookies (i think)

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Nov-2004, 10:39 AM #1
Photo Printing Wizard - I want to delete its cookies (i think)
When I open a fax on my e mail..
My photo printing wizard opens up and downloads hundreds of photo's of everything that has been on my screen while surfing the last several hours.

This slows my computer and takes minutes.

I think these are called cookies,,,right? ... regardless, how do i get it to not do this ?> thanks

Last edited by flrman1; 04-Nov-2004 at 02:19 PM..
Member with 49,015 posts.

04-Nov-2004, 02:08 PM #2
Are you running an up to date Anti Virus - Do a full scan

SpywareBlaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
AdAware SE http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
SpyBot S&D http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

DL them (they are free), install them, check each for their definition updates and then run AdAware and Spybot, fixing anything they say.

Then get HiJack This http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html, put it in a permanent folder, run it , DO NOT fix anything, post the log here.

Unless I am wrong you have some malware causing this.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Nov-2004, 05:01 PM #3
Hi and welcome, have you tried clearing your internet history?

05-Nov-2004, 08:17 AM #4
Yes I run anti virus. I dont think that a virus is my problem.
No I have not tried clearing my internet history. I dont even know how.
Not sure that would have anything to do with it either. But I would try it.

05-Nov-2004, 12:08 PM #5
Tools, internet options, clear history.

05-Nov-2004, 01:23 PM #6
thanks - i cleared history.
all the pictures are still in my photo printing wizzard.
Under advanced internet settings looks promising as a place to disable the automatic picture download, but I dont want to change anything esle.
Thanks steve.

05-Nov-2004, 02:09 PM #7
I'm wondering if in that software, there is some item that permits everything viewed to be added to its history?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

22-Nov-2004, 02:38 PM #8
I just hit this problem today. Apparently the Photo Printing Wizard picks up any graphic files in the same folder that you are in, so in this case, when you try to print a picture from the Internet, Photo Printing Wizard prints anything in Temporary Internet Files. To clear this, open Internet Explorer and go to Tools->Internet Options, click Delete Files (cookies are text files and history is just the web site addresses you've been to so neither will have any affect on this problem).

Other option of course is to save the file to its own folder before printing.

Does anyone know of a way to keep the wizard from printing everything in the folder?
Junior Member with 5 posts.

21-Aug-2005, 10:56 AM #9
I have this problem also and have had no luck removing the captured images. I have tried the above suggested method to no avail. They are still there.

Here's where they show up. I recieved a fax as an attachment, I opened and clicked on the print icon. Window stated that the file was a jpg from url us.f302.mail.yahoo.com Clicking "open" then leads to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Clicking the Print icon then leads to Photo Printing Wizard. Clicking "next" brings up the fax in question and about 1,000 other images that have been captured from many different web pages. Appear to be parts of pages. Pics, logos, icons, etc. that were photo-shopped in, put in with Snag-it, or some other image manipulation software. clicking on them (right or left) provides no info.

Have looked in my file tree ad nauseum. Can't find them. Ran a root search for *.jpg files. No luck. Is it possible that these images are being stored in my Yahoo storage account, as seems possible by the "from" info?

Any ideas appreciated.
Member with 1,068 posts.

21-Aug-2005, 12:56 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearlyNN
I have this problem also and have had no luck removing the captured images. I have tried the above suggested method to no avail. They are still there.

Here's where they show up. I recieved a fax as an attachment, I opened and clicked on the print icon. Window stated that the file was a jpg from url us.f302.mail.yahoo.com Clicking "open" then leads to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Clicking the Print icon then leads to Photo Printing Wizard. Clicking "next" brings up the fax in question and about 1,000 other images that have been captured from many different web pages. Appear to be parts of pages. Pics, logos, icons, etc. that were photo-shopped in, put in with Snag-it, or some other image manipulation software. clicking on them (right or left) provides no info.

Have looked in my file tree ad nauseum. Can't find them. Ran a root search for *.jpg files. No luck. Is it possible that these images are being stored in my Yahoo storage account, as seems possible by the "from" info?

Any ideas appreciated.
It's the same with the XP scanner wizard, you get a drop down list of all the old things you scanned and there is no way to clear except to do some kind of registry edit so I left it alone. I assume it's probably the same for the picture and fax viewer. I had an MS article on the registry edit once but I don't think I saved it.

21-Aug-2005, 07:39 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acraftylady
It's the same with the XP scanner wizard, you get a drop down list of all the old things you scanned and there is no way to clear except to do some kind of registry edit so I left it alone. I assume it's probably the same for the picture and fax viewer. I had an MS article on the registry edit once but I don't think I saved it.
Thanks for pointing me in what I hope is the right direction.

After a bit of googling, it does appear that many images (fax/scanner for sure) are stored in the registry. I then went to check out registry cleaners that would help to remove this fast growing category of images on my computer. I was overwhelmed by the choices and not sure which, if any, would do the job.

They seem like a good idea in general, but I would like to pick the right one. Any suggestions? Thanks, again.
Member with 1,068 posts.

23-Aug-2005, 12:31 AM #12
I am possitive there was an MS article on exactly how to clear those out. I looked all through my links but I guess I didn't save it but I remember it was on the MS site and gave detailed instrucitons on backing up the registry and what to delete to get the stuff from the drop down list cleared out. It's driving me nuts I can't remember.

Read this Post another person and I were trying to figure this out and someone told how to find the registry keys but always back up the registry first.

23-Aug-2005, 12:06 PM #13
Well, I have some more info. Here goes.

I'm in the Seattle are, so called a friend who works for HP on the Microsoft campus. He directed me to: IE>Tools>Internet options>Settings>View files. This is where the little devils are hiding.

Again, the images appear to be parts of web pages that were used by some sort of digital imaging software to build the page. I asked him how does one delete them without deleting all one's cookies (which begs another Q below). He said it doesn't appear that there is a way. I then asked him why they were captured. He laughed and said just another bug of many in IE.

From the file details I am able to determine that there are 5 days worth of images captured. Most are very small in size, so I'm not going to worry about them. However, others may not like the fact that they leave a trail of where you have been.

My Q on cookies: If one deletes them its a pain when going to sites you frequent. If I use Password Manager I guess I can lessen the problem. Still, it would be a lot better if I could isolate the ones I want to keep and set up an auto-clear function. Wonder if this exists, of if Longhorn will handle all of the above better.
Member with 1,068 posts.

23-Aug-2005, 12:20 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearlyNN
Well, I have some more info. Here goes.

I'm in the Seattle are, so called a friend who works for HP on the Microsoft campus. He directed me to: IE>Tools>Internet options>Settings>View files. This is where the little devils are hiding.

Again, the images appear to be parts of web pages that were used by some sort of digital imaging software to build the page. I asked him how does one delete them without deleting all one's cookies (which begs another Q below). He said it doesn't appear that there is a way. I then asked him why they were captured. He laughed and said just another bug of many in IE.

From the file details I am able to determine that there are 5 days worth of images captured. Most are very small in size, so I'm not going to worry about them. However, others may not like the fact that they leave a trail of where you have been.

My Q on cookies: If one deletes them its a pain when going to sites you frequent. If I use Password Manager I guess I can lessen the problem. Still, it would be a lot better if I could isolate the ones I want to keep and set up an auto-clear function. Wonder if this exists, of if Longhorn will handle all of the above better.

Those entries in the scanner and camera wizard have nothing to do with cookies they are in the registry. I found some instructions on how to remove them but not the MS article I was looking for. Make sure to back up the registry first. Also I think I had saved this XP tweaks because it has the info but where on the site I don't remember.

Unwanted entries in a Wizard

Is there a way of removing the list of group and folder names that are stored in the wizard?

I have a query relating to the Scanner and Camera Wizard contained in Windows XP. Is there a way of removing the list of group and folder names that are stored in the wizard each time you download images from a digicam? My lists still show group names that have long been deleted.
Alan Bishop

There certainly is, Alan, and you’ll be unsurprised to learn the task involves editing the Registry. Make sure the wizard is closed and then click Start -> Run, type regedit and press Enter. Now browse to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ WIA \ WiaAcquisitionManager.

You’ll see two values in the right-hand pane: DirectoryNameMru and RootFileNameMru. Double-click each in turn, and delete the data from them before clicking OK. Close Registry Editor – the entries should have vanished.
PC Answers

Last edited by acraftylady; 23-Aug-2005 at 12:35 PM..

23-Aug-2005, 12:48 PM #15
Crafty, thanks for the heads up on the cookies. You're right, deleting these entries does not remove the problem.

I am now going to see if I can follow the above post regarding editing the registry. I'll be careful
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!