Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Corrupted JPEG files

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Dec-2004, 12:57 AM #1
Corrupted JPEG files
Hi All!
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to repair corrupted JPEG files, such is this example: corrupted JPEG ??
The memory card suddenly stucked in my digital camera, and the only way to recover the data was to use some soft designated for this, but unfornately most of the pictures were corrupted like this.
I have tried various programs to recover datas from card but the result was always the same .
But I know that there is a chance to correct these corrupted JPEG's, as one soft for recovering damaged JPEG recovered some parts of the picture, not the whole - just some fragments, but anyway.
Somehow to change the binary code.....

Any advise will be appreciated!
Thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
13-Dec-2004, 01:14 AM #2
It would help if you told us what you have tried so that we don't need to go down the same road again.

Frankly, that image looks like it is totally missing image information. Recovery from that sort of thing is not likely. But it may be possible to find some way to better recover information from the device. The image itself can't be reconstructed.

15-Dec-2004, 10:52 AM #3
Hi,
Thanks for the post!

*that example is the original corrupted file from the card, nothing was done with it, only resized to smaller, rotated, saved.
* what is giving me hope it is that I can see the thumbnails of the pictures (for example in ACDSee, but not the rotated ones).Is this something that can help us?
* but - trying to recover the data from the card again and again even with various programms (either via camera or card-reader) is giving me always the same results, corrupted pictures remains corrupted always identically (so in my opinion we can not recover anything else from the card... )...but anyway, I did still nothing else with the card.
* I have tried one programm for recovering the JPG file itself, for example this JPG. I tried to upload also the original to that server, but with no success, it is maybe to big (over 700kB)....maybe I could send it by email, just for comparing...
I know , the repaired segments in that picture are only some fragments, but anyway...

I can provide some more details, just write me what you need to clarify.
Thanks!!!

here is the example of the picture from which I was able to recover something with the soft (and here is the result - reconstructed) , just to see the difference, it is resized and as I have checked, from resized JPG it is already impossible to reconstruct something (I have still problems to upload the original...)

Last edited by romino; 15-Dec-2004 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: update
Member with 6,832 posts.

15-Dec-2004, 01:37 PM #4
The full thumbnails arenít necessarily an indication the full image is there. Most cameras generate a thumbnail to view in the LCD quickly. They include this thumbnail in the EXIF and some programs use that to generate thumbnails more quickly.

hewee posted this list on another thread: http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/sy...arecovery.html You might find something that will work, but I suspect from the one recovery you posted there might be portions of the images missing.
Member with 1,068 posts.

15-Dec-2004, 10:29 PM #5
I have heard that PC Inspector works good to recovery corrupt data from memory cards. I have not tried it but it helped another poster here.

16-Dec-2004, 04:47 AM #6
Thanks!
acraftylady: Yes, PC Inspector works good, I have tried it as first and it recovered the data from the card - but, they were corrupt.
slipe: I expected something like this...so it will not help us :-(
But if the portions of images are missing, how could then the PixRecovery reconstruct something from the file like you can see in the example above...?
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Dec-2004, 06:28 AM #7
Hi,
First of all, use a cardreader so that the memory card will look to your system as a removable disk.
Then you should try disaster recovery software that will scan and read all available data that is on your card to your harddisk. I have had good results with software such as:
BadCopyPro v.3.75
This SW recognizes Digital Media as on of the source options, so that it will try to reconstruct JPEG images.
Other software you might try is for instance:
EasyRecovery Pro v.6
Recover4all Pro 2.14
As you can see, I've been there and there is hope...
Member with 6,832 posts.

16-Dec-2004, 10:04 AM #8
Quote:
But if the portions of images are missing, how could then the PixRecovery reconstruct something from the file like you can see in the example above...?

If the reconstructed picture looks contiguous to you we are seeing different pictures. I see the strip along the top from the original, then another strip with the top of a guyís head and a large third part. It appears to me that large parts of the picture are missing from the reconstruction. Or maybe it extracted parts from 3 pictures Ė I donít see the trunk of the guy missing the top of his head in the bottom part, and the exposures look to be not even close.

If you are thinking that the whole picture must be there for the recovery software to get to the parts, I donít think that is necessarily the case. The recovery software is designed to ignore errors and continue past breaks. Often the errors or breaks arenít sufficient to ruin the entire picture. I think in your case there are large enough portions missing to ruin at least some of the pictures.

16-Dec-2004, 11:47 AM #9
Thanks for the explanation.

But I don't think the parts are from different pictures - just try to compare the reconstructed picture to the THUMBNAIL of the original picture which can be seen (in windows explorer, ACDSee...). All three parts are from one picture.

The second part should be moved to right and the third to left.

And of course there should be not the big "black banner" which was inserted by the recovery software as I used only the demo version of it.
So I assume if that software could recover it to this, there is also a chance to recover it somehow to 100 %.
But I do not know the process.
Member with 6,832 posts.

16-Dec-2004, 08:38 PM #10
Try some of the other software in the link.

17-Dec-2004, 04:23 AM #11
[QUOTE
The second part should be moved to right and the third to left.
[/QUOTE]

An image file is actually a long string of data, comprising three consecutive blocks: the RED data block, the GREEN data block and the BLUE data block. The imaging software (windows explorer, ACDSee, etc.) puts these blocks together and builds pixels from each color data block. If you look at an image -file header, it will advise the software a.o. about the size of the image, so that the software knows where one block ends and the next one starts.
In case of corruption, some data may be missing, whilst the header information still reflects the original file structure. That's why you get these shifts and most commonly, they are blocks of image-parts that do not seem to be at the right place. Also color shifts are very common (because part of one color is missing whilst data from another color might be complete).
I hope the short explanation above makes more sense now of the phenomena of corrupted images......
To restore such images you need quite heavy stuff, something like photoshop or other software that let's you extract an area (the block mentioned above) and move it to it's correct position, remove color cast, change contrast, change curves, etc. etc.
To show ( off ) what can be done:
I had an image that would not load in windows ("The source data stream is corrupt") or shows only a part of the image. I then used ALL the data recovery software I had at my disposal and saved the results in separate folders and looked at the result of each program. The best result (corrupted-reconstructed.jpg) I loaded in Photoshop and started to make the needed corrections, sometimes using parts of images that one of the other software generated.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jackô; 17-Dec-2004 at 04:43 AM..

17-Dec-2004, 09:44 AM #12
Great!

Only software that I found for the reconstruction of the JPG itself is PixRecovery (I mean reconstruction of the file already retrieved from the card).
Jack, could you please recommend also some others? Thanks!

(For data recovering from the card I have used several programms, also from the link above, but all with the same results, there were no differences in the level of corruption)

17-Dec-2004, 05:22 PM #13
Romino,
As I said before, I got good results using BadCopyPro v.3.75, EasyRecovery Pro v.6 and Recover4all Pro 2.14.
The most important question is ofcourse the one related to the circumstances of the malfunction.
If the memorycard got stuck whilst the camera was downloading the image, there is a good change that that particular file has not much data in it. Maybe some header info and the start of the datablocks. In such a case, no software in the world will be capable of "restoring" data that was not there in the first place.
The corruption must have taken place after the camera has had the time and means to transfer at least two color blocks of data onto the memorycard. Only a corruption that may have occured on that point in time or later may be salvagable by above mentioned software and other not mentioned by me.
My example pictures show a case in which some rows of memory did malfunction and the data from those rows could not be read anymore. Normal explorer and ACDSee for instance would start to display the image until they came to the bad rows. Then they would just stop and display the sentence: "The source data stream is corrupt", which is exactly what went wrong. This is the first picture situation.
The data recovery software just ignores that corruption and reads on. But now the three (?) data blocks do not have the correct correlated pixeldata anymore. That's the reason why the middle picture has so much banding and image dislocation artifacts.
In general, you could use any data recovery software that can read from a removable disk. Removable disks get a drive letter and thus the software can access them. The more the software is aware of the image structure of JPEG images (header identification string, color data blocks, etc.) the better they should perform (BadCopyPro seems to excel here).
If all fails, you may have to scan in RAW mode, which means the software will just rip the disk and put the data in some form on your hard disk. You should know the JPEG file format standard (f.i. look here http://www.corion.net/cgi-bin/wiki.c...ay/Format:JPEG or here http://netghost.narod.ru/gff/graphics/summary/jfif.htm) in order to reconstruct a JPEG image manually from the ripped data which you can then load into photoshop.
Some software enables you to specify header string data in order to catch the type of file you are looking for.
Sometimes it is easier just to load the data as RAW into Photoshop and see if that could be a starting point.........
Hope this makes sense,
Jack

30-Dec-2004, 08:54 AM #14
Thanks Jack!
Your posts are most useful for me.
I do realize that if the pictures were badly saved to the card that there is no chance to recover it,
I think (but I'm not sure) that in my case they were damaged by card error, I have recovered
also some older fotos from the card (which I thought were already deleted) previously they were
fine, now they are also mostly corrupted as well
Unfortunately software can recover them from the card only like your example nr. 1, and only
few of them can then the PixRecovery reconstruct to the state like your example nr. 2..
Nevermind. Maybe I will try to do something with the image of the card, but I do not think that
it will bring me anything new.
Thanks for help, at least I'm a little bit more skilled in this area ;-)
Junior Member with 3 posts.

06-Jan-2008, 10:48 PM #15
Rehash JPG header recovery
It has been a while for this thread but I wanter to seee if there is any new sources/info/technology out there for this problem.

Same type of issue here.

Formatted and reinstalled windows and forgot to pull my pictures off first. Recovered the files and some of them will not open even in IFANVIEW because it "cannot read header file."

The files are of picture size so I know they are in the file somewhere.

Looking for something to write the header info and make them usable again. Most were taken by the same camera too.

I have used the following program unsuccessfully:

IFANVIEW
PC INSPECTOR
BADCOPY PRO
PIX RECOVERY
EASYRECOVERY PRO
PHOTORESCUE PRO
PHOTORESCUE ADVANCED PC
RECOVER MY FILES

If I don't retrieve my kids baby pictures my wife is going to kill me.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!