Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Software to Import Pics from Digital Camera

(!)

Member with 35 posts.

30-Jul-2005, 07:45 PM #1
Software to Import Pics from Digital Camera
I'm new to the digital imaging scene and I plan to but a simple digital camera in the future. When looking at reviews for certain cameras, I noticed many comment on the bundled software provided by camera manufactuers. I am looking seriously into a Sony camera, but the software reviews are far less than favorable. My question then becomes: Do I have to use the bundled software to import/extract the images from the camera? Once on my hard drive, I know I can transfer the images to another program (i.e. Photoshop, Paint Shop, The Gimp) for editing purposes. It seems like I could just copy the images using Explorer, but I am obviously not sure about this. Also, if it is possible not to use the provided software to import the photos, is there another piece of software that works well?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Account Disabled with 8,373 posts.

30-Jul-2005, 09:03 PM #2
There is no need to use the camera software to transfer the images to your computer

assuming you are using XP just transfer with explorer then edit/view with the program of your choice...

buck
Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2005, 09:52 PM #3
Smile Picasa2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev7706
I'm new to the digital imaging scene and I plan to but a simple digital camera in the future. When looking at reviews for certain cameras, I noticed many comment on the bundled software provided by camera manufactuers. I am looking seriously into a Sony camera, but the software reviews are far less than favorable. My question then becomes: Do I have to use the bundled software to import/extract the images from the camera? Once on my hard drive, I know I can transfer the images to another program (i.e. Photoshop, Paint Shop, The Gimp) for editing purposes. It seems like I could just copy the images using Explorer, but I am obviously not sure about this. Also, if it is possible not to use the provided software to import the photos, is there another piece of software that works well?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Download the free version of Picasa2 and it will do exactly what you want and more. When you add any new graphics there is an option picasa2 has to automatically store the info for you.
http://picasa.google.com/index.html
Member with 35 posts.

31-Jul-2005, 01:34 AM #4
Thanks for the replies. My question was answered exactly.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,389 posts.

01-Aug-2005, 10:17 AM #5
IMO.. and some reviews Iíve read ..

Picasa leans more toward browsing you system for pictures and helping you organize them.

Irfanview and XnView are strictly Image Viewers and basic Editors.

Personally, I know where I put my pictures and donít need any help organizing them,
So I use Irfanview as my Basic Image viewer and editor.

Iíve been playing with XnView and itís beginning to look pretty good to me.

It all depends on what you want.

Itís really hard to imagine nowadays Ö so many good and free choices.
Member with 21 posts.

01-Aug-2005, 10:49 AM #6
I've used Irfanview for at least 5 years and still use on it. However the more I use Picasa the more things I find that it can do. And there are a whole lot of free choices as you say. ain't it grand :-)
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

01-Aug-2005, 12:55 PM #7
Same here ... sort of ...
I'm seeing things in XnView that Irfanview can't do.
I wonder if Irfan isn't getting burned out.

I'll probably stay with Irfanvew because of its small size, speed and relative simplicity.
If I need "More Power", as Tim the Tool Man would say, - I'll just plugin my Power Tool - Photoshop Elements.

Either way - These Freebees beat anything provided by Bill Gates... (pardon my language)
Member with 2,470 posts.

02-Aug-2005, 09:56 AM #8
You don't need to buy a digital camera to sample the free software in this discussion, you can download photo's from the internet and play with them. Just an obvious item that is easy to overlook. Half the fun of digitals is manipulating the photo's.
Computer Specs

02-Aug-2005, 11:18 AM #9
I totally disagree ... Manipulating the photos and picking on you neighbors is more than half the fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Software to Import Pics from Digital Camera-turnover.jpg  
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Aug-2005, 02:33 PM #10
I've used a Sony DSC-F 717 digital camera for several years and use the imagetransfer software that came with it - It will transfer the pics directly to the folder which I designated at set up. Then they can be moved around to whichever program you want. I've used ifanview for a number of years and it's great in it's limited abilities. For more extensive work I use Photoshop Elements 2 and recommend it highly. (Now PS 3 is out.) It has most of the capabilities of its' parent, Phoroshop, at a fraction of the cost.
Member with 971 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2005, 02:03 PM #11
The software that came with my wife's HP digital camera isn't all that great. But the camera itself has a setting to control how it appears to the pc when you hook it up. Set to appear as a camera, I have to use the software to download the pictures. If I set the camera to appear as a disk drive, I can use Explorer to drag and drop them just like any other file.
Member with 904 posts.

04-Aug-2005, 09:48 PM #12
Here's something else to consider with regards to downloading images, Kevin. The camera you choose will either have a cable to connect, or a cradle the camera sits it. The cradle is connected to the PC, of course. If he camera has a cable, it's easy to carry the cable with you and have the ability to download to another PC before you get home. If the camera requires a cradle, however, it's bulkier to carry and might get broken. It's a personal choice, but I like carrying the cable, and being flexible.

JP
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!