Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Auto save in Photoshop

(!)

Member with 663 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Sep-2005, 06:36 AM #1
Auto save in Photoshop
MS Word has a "Save auto recover info every x minutes" option, so you can't lose a hours of work in case of a computer crash.

Does Photoshop have a similar auto-save option? How do I activate it?

I saw this 3rd party tool, but the companies website doesn't inspire much confidence. Anybody know this tool?
http://www.atopsoft.com/products/aut...photoshop.html

Last edited by plejon; 07-Sep-2005 at 06:52 AM..
Senior Member with 1,993 posts.

07-Sep-2005, 11:17 AM #2
No, Photoshop doesn't have an autosave option - I'm unsure if Photoshop's scripting capabilities will do so either.
I would just say to 'get into the habit' of saving your progress often; in the long run it will be nore reliable than any plugin!
Member with 663 posts.

07-Sep-2005, 03:09 PM #3
Major bummer. Today, I lost two hours of work again, because I didn't save my work, and Photoshop crashed on me. OK, I agree, I should save more often, but I'm probably not the only person in the world who lost hours of photoshop work. An Office style autorecovery would be a *very* nice enhancement.
Senior Member with 1,993 posts.

07-Sep-2005, 05:40 PM #4
No, not the first!
Years ago, I lost work on a semi-regular basis - though when working on a Mac it would sometimes save me!
Then a designer gave me the same advice I gave you.
Member with 6,832 posts.

10-Sep-2005, 03:07 AM #5
If Photoshop had an auto-save I would disable it. Many people make a duplicate and rename it in case they accidentally save. That way they donít overwrite and lose their digital negative, which should never be altered. I donít usually do that, but I also never ďSaveĒ. That way I donít have to think about each save. I always ďSave asĒ even if I want to save. So I think about each save when I do it. I also usually ďSave asĒ with a different filename or file type fairly early on, so that subsequent saves wouldnít mess with the original anyway.

Even if I were in the habit of making a duplicate and renaming it, I would still be uneasy about forgetting and having an auto-save corrupt the original. And I would be concerned that it would somehow become enabled even if I disabled it.

I donít think most graphics people would be very happy with an auto-save in Photoshop. I donít think many graphics people work for two hours on something without multiple saves either.
Member with 663 posts.

10-Sep-2005, 08:28 AM #6
Frankly, I don't see why anyone would opposed against a Microsoft Word style auto-save function.
- First of all, you can disable it, so it you don't want it, turn it off.
- Second, it's not an auto-save in the sense that it overwrites your original. It's an auto-recovery that saves your work, without impacting the original file. After a crash, you can either continue to work with the original version or recover your lost work, and save it under another name. Your original is never corrupted.
- Thirdly, I'm convinced that graphics designers would be happy to have an auto-recovery. They're not supermen. Designers never forget to save, and secretaries forget to save all the time? No way. Just like everyone else working with a computer, all designers will have lost part of their work because of a computer crash, a power failure, or any other reason. Being able to recover the work you've done, whether it's 2 hours of half an hour, is a great feature and should be implemented in any modern professional oriented software.
Junior Member with 9 posts.

11-Sep-2005, 03:25 AM #7
Hello, plejon,
Could you tell me why our website can't give you enough confidence? Your advice will help us to improve our website.
Maybe because the English is not fluent? Sorry if it is so, we're not native English speaker.

Our AutoSave is a common purpose utility that can save for most of the editors. But many of our customers are Photoshop users, the main reason is AutoSave can auto backup Photoshop documents before saving.

The link you mentioned is only an article, not the product homepage,
I can't post the homepage link because this forum doesn't allow new user posts url, so please get to the homepage from the left navigate panel in that article.

I don't want to say much on our products to avoid suspicion of advertising here, I suggest you give it a try.
If you don't like it, you can uninstall it completely. All of our products have no any spyware/adware.

Last edited by ATopSoft; 11-Sep-2005 at 04:19 AM..
Member with 663 posts.

11-Sep-2005, 06:15 AM #8
Well, I'm not a native english speaker either, so that's not the issue. I just think the general look of the site is not very professional. The site has no company header, I couldn't find the company address on the site, the support forum seems empty, the graphics look outdated; it just looks like a quick and dirty job. That gives me the impression that the tool could be a quick & dirty job too.

As for the tool, I did download it and gave it a try. That's where some fundamental problems show up.
I understand you're trying to create a universal auto-save tool by sending the Ctrl-S key combination to a particular program. That system has some serious drawbacks if compared the the auto-recovery option in Word, which I consider a good example of what an auto-recovery should look like.
1) As slipe pointed out, you don't want to run the risk of overwriting your original before you're ready. The backup option in the atopsoft tool can solve this, but only to a certain degree.
2) Ctrl-S only saves the file that's currently open. If you have two psd open at teh same time, only the active one will be saved. The same is probably true if the Ctrl-S is send while you're in an screen that doesn't support it, e.g. the Extract utility

11-Sep-2005, 10:26 PM #9
Quote:
Well, I'm not a native english speaker either, so that's not the issue. I just think the general look of the site is not very professional. The site has no company header, I couldn't find the company address on the site, the support forum seems empty, the graphics look outdated; it just looks like a quick and dirty job. That gives me the impression that the tool could be a quick & dirty job too.
Thank you very much. You opinion is valuable.
How ever, I have much confidence on our products.

Quote:
I understand you're trying to create a universal auto-save tool by sending the Ctrl-S key combination to a particular program. That system has some serious drawbacks
It's possible to make autosave for Photoshop use the Photoshop's builtin function instead of Ctrl-S, but seems Photoshop's COM interface is not well designed and may hang up Autosave.
We can't take that risk.

Quote:
if compared the the auto-recovery option in Word, which I consider a good example of what an auto-recovery should look like.
Seems you very like the auto recovery feature in Word.
But that's not enough.
Search "How can I make Word save or back up my document automatically" in Google, the first page on mvps.org is an article on the auto recovery feature.

Quote:
1) As slipe pointed out, you don't want to run the risk of overwriting your original before you're ready. The backup option in the atopsoft tool can solve this, but only to a certain degree.
The backup in our Autosave will occur just before it prepares to save the document. That's to say, the newest backup file is always the original file that saved before the last autosave.

Quote:
2) Ctrl-S only saves the file that's currently open. If you have two psd open at teh same time, only the active one will be saved. The same is probably true if the Ctrl-S is send while you're in an screen that doesn't support it, e.g. the Extract utility
This is not a big problem for most user.

I'll thank you again for your opinion. That will help us to improve our website and products.
Member with 663 posts.

13-Sep-2005, 05:07 AM #10
I agree with most points in the mvps.org article. However, in my day to day work, the "Always create backup" and "Save autorecover info" options have proven to be a good combination to rescue me 9 times out of 10 when I made a mistake or when Word crashed.
Member with 6,832 posts.

13-Sep-2005, 10:37 AM #11
ATopSoft Thanks for the input. I wish all developers could come to the boards to discuss their software.

The Word recovery has always worked for me. Even so, I changed some of the defaults based on the article you linked.

I notice from your web page that your program makes a copy and renames it. That is a very good idea and most people competent in Photoshop (besides me) do that with every image anyway. Since most people also want to keep their original along with the image they worked on, your system doesnít add more bulk to the hard drive than any manual system as long as one remembers to delete stuff they donít want to keep. But making the copy and renaming it seems to be the only advantage of your program over just manually saving in Photoshop.

Adobe InDesign has a similar recovery to Word Ė it has saved my bacon on several occasions. But InDesign just links images and only the links are saved with the recovery file document. I often have multiple images open in Photoshop and run myself out of a Gig of RAM if Iím not careful. I wouldnít really want backups of everything Iím doing unless it could be compressed somehow. The InDesign recovery shows that Adobe is quite familiar with making one. Iím guessing the constant write of large files to the HD would cause difficulty. Photoshop often uses virtual memory even when you havenít used up all of the RAM allocated to it. Iím guessing a Word-like recovery involving large image files would slow the computer considerably.

I wish Photoshop saved the full history with a PSD file. We had a discussion on another board and a method that would do that would also be good for a recovery file IMO. The thought was for Photoshop to keep a history similar to an action and store that with the PSD file if you elected to add it. That would also work well for a recovery file. You call up the original file and run all the actions in sequence and you could be where you were at the time of the crash without having the whole current document being constantly rewritten to the hard drive. Iím not sure why the history itself couldnít do that. Of course if you lift the brush or stamp with every stroke you could still end up with a fairly large file. But it would be a lot more useful to me than just the modified image without the history.

Saving the file without the history isnít that much use to me. I often want to undo a filter and try something different. I often have to redo a difficult selection anyway since I lose the saved selection along with the rest of the history.
Member with 663 posts.

13-Sep-2005, 10:45 AM #12
Give this man a beer ! A recovery file and a history, it can't get any better than that !

Now if we can just convince Adobe to implement it ...

14-Sep-2005, 03:37 AM #13
Quote:
The Word recovery has always worked for me. Even so, I changed some of the defaults based on the article you linked.
Glad to see that article is helpful to you.

Quote:
That is a very good idea and most people competent in Photoshop (besides me) do that with every image anyway.
Hey, this idea is from one of our customers.

Quote:
But making the copy and renaming it seems to be the only advantage of your program over just manually saving in Photoshop.
"manually saving", you're quite right, it's so easy to press Ctrl+S to save the document manually, but there are still many people often forget to do that.
That's why most modern editors have builtin autosave feature, also that's why we developed this product called 'AutoSave'.

Quote:
Iím guessing the constant write of large files to the HD would cause difficulty. Photoshop often uses virtual memory even when you havenít used up all of the RAM allocated to it. Iím guessing a Word-like recovery involving large image files would slow the computer considerably.
Slow when autosave on big files is the key issue that many Photoshop users explain why Photoshop doesn't support autosave feature.
You can search 'autosave photoshop' in the Google newsgroups and see how the others say.

Quote:
Of course if you lift the brush or stamp with every stroke you could still end up with a fairly large file. But it would be a lot more useful to me than just the modified image without the history.
I guess the psd file size will become several times bigger if it includes the history information. And such history information may aslo slow down the open speed in PS.

14-Sep-2005, 03:41 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by plejon
Give this man a beer ! A recovery file and a history, it can't get any better than that !

Now if we can just convince Adobe to implement it ...
Good luck.
The Photoshop users have been complaining about the lack of the autosave feature for several years, but Adobe haven't added that yet.
If you can persuade Adobe to add autosave, auto recovery or even history store, many Photoshop users will thank you.
Member with 2,064 posts.

15-Sep-2005, 08:56 AM #15
I think after losing work one, or maybe a few times, we then learn to "auto save"
on our own I know I have.

Also, I've gotten so I always make a copy (duplicate image) before I start doing something with a picture.

My 6 year old grandaughter likes using Photoshop, the effects and special shapes and brushes, and I've got her doing that, too. I'll say "what do you do FIRST?" and she said "make a copy in case you mess up!"

It's not really that big a deal. I don't think I'd use auto save if the program had it. I'm always redoing and changing, too.

~ Carrie
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!