Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"Edge Preserving Smooth" in Photoshop? =\

(!)

Member with 53 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Feb-2006, 10:29 AM #1
"Edge Preserving Smooth" in Photoshop? =\
Alright, here at school I've been working on sprites for my Games Programming class. At first I was using a trial version of Paint Shop Pro 7, which is fine for spriting, and it has this feature called an Edge Preserving Smooth. I used this on sprites to smooth out the pixelated look they initially have, and everything was fine until the trial expired. So I got my Photoshop CS2 on this computer. However, in Photoshop CS2 I've been unable to find anything even vaguely similar to it, and I know that it has it because I've seen my friend run drawings through Photoshop and have them come out the exact same way, though I'm sure that it doesn't have the same name. Here's an example of Before and After the Edge Preserving Smooth in Paint Shop Pro 7 so you can see what I mean.

Before:

After:

Does anyone know how this effect is achieved in Photoshop CS2? It sort of blends the pixels together so they appear smooth and shiny and stuff, instead of all pixelated and whatnot. I've been trying EVERYTHING and even searching Google all I ever find is ways to smooth skins, blend two textures together, and other generally useless information for what I'm doing.
Member with 53 posts.

16-Feb-2006, 10:29 AM #2
Wow... so... nobody has any idea?
Member with 264 posts.

16-Feb-2006, 11:42 AM #3
Nope. No idea. I'm watching the thread since I'd like to know too.

The Paint Shop Pro features sounds brill.

Would you use a combo of both programs? Do that smoothing in PSP, then open in PS
Account Disabled with 8,373 posts.

16-Feb-2006, 06:54 PM #4
"and I know that it has it because I've seen my friend run drawings through Photoshop and have them come out the exact same way"

what did your friends say when you asked them how they did it in CS2

try filter>noise>median

buck

Last edited by buck52; 16-Feb-2006 at 07:12 PM..
Senior Member with 786 posts.

17-Feb-2006, 07:21 PM #5
I can't help with Photoshop but in case you didn't know you can download a free and legal copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 here -
http://com-puterworks.com/Free_Downloads.htm

johnni
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!