Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My Pictures Folder Slow to Open

(!)

Member with 103 posts.

03-Oct-2006, 03:34 PM #1
My Pictures Folder Slow to Open
I have been saving all of my photos from my 4 month long trip to Hawaii into one folder in my My Pics... but all of a sudden, when I double click on it, it takes a good 20 seconds to open. Noe of my other folders have done this. What can be the cause? I have 416 picks and 800some megabytes. Nothing on my computer is slow or anything. Can I perform some type of task on the folder to fix this problem? Thanks
Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Oct-2006, 11:24 AM #2
If you're viewing thumbnails, that can take awhile.

Look for Thumbs.db in that folder, delete it, and try it again. This is where Windows stores the thumbnails for images in that folder. The first time it will take awhile to load, but after that it should be back to normal.

If you don't see Thumbs.db, go to Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings, and select "Show hidden files and folders."
Member with 103 posts.

08-Dec-2006, 06:59 PM #3
if i delete the thumbnails file... does that mean that I won't see the thumbnails again? Or does it just reset the thumbnails? Thanks
Member with 10,306 posts.

24-Dec-2006, 10:00 AM #4
I've been waiting patiently for the answer, and since I'm having the same issue, will deleting the Thumbs.db folder, mess up anything else? Do I just delete the contents of the folder or the folder, as well? Does this need to be done on a regular basis?
Thanks
Account Disabled with 8,373 posts.

24-Dec-2006, 10:40 AM #5
deleteing the Thumbs file in the My Pictures folder will not harm anything else.. Windows will regenerate it the next time you open the My Pictures folder... it will take some time as erick295 stated...

buck
Member with 10,306 posts.

24-Dec-2006, 11:00 AM #6
Hi buck and Happy New Year

Thanks for the info have a great day
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!