Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HELP! memory card

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Nov-2006, 08:10 PM #1
HELP! memory card
my computer is no longer recognizing my memory card when i insert it into the computer to upload my pictures. it doesn't even show up under my computer. it used to work, but now it doesn't. my computer won't recognize other memory cards either. help, please!
Account Disabled with 11,098 posts.

Experience: Ask My Computer It Knows Everything
05-Nov-2006, 08:18 PM #2
Have you checked in Device Manager by pressing the Windows logo key + Pause Break key and then Hardware tab and the Device Manger button and click on view and choose show hidden devices and see what it says about then any warning signs in the list.

If this just happened you could try System Restore to an earlier time when they were working.
Member with 2,470 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Nov-2006, 09:33 AM #3
I just solved the same problem (I think.)
When removing the memory card do NOT use that "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray. Instead use "EJECT" from Windows Explorer.
The second problem is to resurect the recognition of the USB port that was shut off. I did that by removing the USB that had a yellow ! (exclamation) from Devise Manager then restarting the computer.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,357 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 02:45 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotbored
I just solved the same problem (I think.)
When removing the memory card do NOT use that "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray. Instead use "EJECT" from Windows Explorer.
The second problem is to resurect the recognition of the USB port that was shut off. I did that by removing the USB that had a yellow ! (exclamation) from Devise Manager then restarting the computer.

so thats what that safely remove hardware" icon is for. wow i never use that icon. all i did was pull the memory card out when i was done with it. i have been doing it that way ever since i got my pc a year ago. it still working. but i hope i aint messing some thing up?
Member with 2,470 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 09:28 AM #5
quote"so thats what that safely remove hardware" icon is for. wow i never use that icon."
Wilson44512-Read that again. Do NOT use that icon to remove memory card. Use eject from MY COMPUTER instead.
I think if you just pull the memory card without using EJECT you risk that some read/write activity might be stored on the PC waiting for its turn.
DO use that "safely remove hardware" when disconnecting other USB devices I guess-like portable hard drives.
Member with 17,584 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 09:25 PM #6
My guess is that you actually "removed" the USB Device itself, not the "generic volume".

I recognise that effect from when I did the same once....

Just be more careful when using it that you "stop" the correct device and not the hub, though unless its critical I never bother these days, I just unplug after a period of inactivity. Never lost data or corrupted a card yet
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2007, 10:41 PM #7
well my computer doesn't even sense that it is in the computer. i usually use the "safely remove storage device" option, but how do i re-install the driver?
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2007, 10:44 PM #8
there is a yellow ! next to the secure digital storage device under disk drives under device manager

what should i see under Universal Serial Bus Controllers?
Member with 6,832 posts.

21-Jan-2007, 01:39 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniemogirl4
there is a yellow ! next to the secure digital storage device under disk drives under device manager

what should i see under Universal Serial Bus Controllers?
Double click on your SD reader in device manager. It should open in the General tab. Make sure the device is enabled under “Device usage”. If it is enabled and shows the yellow exclamation mark you could try the Troubleshoot button on that first tab.

My usual fix is to do what Knotbored did with his USB. That is to just remove the device and reboot. You do that by highlighting the device, Action > Uninstall. You do take a chance when you do that. You have no way of knowing whether Windows installed the device or the computer maker used drivers. The Troubleshoot button on the General tab or the Update Driver button on the Driver tab might be safer bets since you can roll back anything you do.

I would uninstall and reboot, but I have confidence that if Windows didn’t reinstall the drive I could find a driver and recover. I would try the Troubleshoot and/or Update Driver buttons first if it is something other than enabling the device on the General tab.
Account Disabled with 772 posts.

21-Jan-2007, 01:49 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy
Just be more careful when using it that you "stop" the correct device and not the hub, though unless its critical I never bother these days, I just unplug after a period of inactivity. Never lost data or corrupted a card yet

I think I've used the "Safely Unplug/Remove" icon maybe twice in my life. Never had a problem, either. When something happens, I'll change my ways.
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2007, 01:43 AM #11
none of the USB ports have a yellow exclamation point next to them. i know nothing about computers and i am weary of uninstalling things if i have no idea what i am actually uninstalling. the secure digital storage device is what has the yellow exclamation point next to it. if i uninstall it how do i know that restarting the computer will fix anything? what if i restart it and it is just gone for good?
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2007, 02:47 AM #12
so i uninstalled the secure storage device and restarted my computer and tried to reinstall it and it says "this device cannot start (code 10)." what do i do now?
Member with 6,832 posts.

06-Feb-2007, 12:59 PM #13
I would do a system restore while you still have a restore point before the removal of the drive.

When you get it back give us some feedback on what happened with the troubleshoot.
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2007, 07:20 PM #14
I tried to troubleshoot and I removed and reinstalled the device and it still doesn't work. Trouble shoot just tells me to do what I have been doing and then gives me that Code 10 thing, saying that the device will not start.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jun-2007, 07:02 AM #15
I'm in the same bought as tiniemogirl4. I'm using vista, and i fixed one problem that could have been the reason, but the SD Memory Card has an exlamation point with the same warning. This has worked before, my laptop i have had for 3 years, and no problems, but now that I installed vista, I'm having problems, and i really don't want to give vista up. (I can use my SD card as additional RAM if I get it to work with vista.)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!