Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Sony Cybershot Unable to connect to PC

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

13-Feb-2007, 07:11 PM #1
Solved: Sony Cybershot Unable to connect to PC
Xp Professional, SP2.

Hi,
I have a Sony cam (cyber-shot DSCT-10) which I am unable to connect to my pc.
I uninstalled the software which came with the cam as it didn't do anything. I've kept the usb driver just in case, but from what I've read XP has the driver already.
I simply cannot get Windows to recognise the camera from the usb port. Other devices work fine in there so it's not the usb. I even took my mouse out and put it in an adapter and plugged it in a round hole (don't know what that's called) so that no other usb ports were being used except for the cam.
I've tried adding hardware but Sony isn't in the list of cameras, so when it said *have disk* I tried that but it says - no hardware information is on this cd.
I've tried every USB port I have and sometimes I get flashing on the camera screen as if it's trying to make usb connection, but nothing on the pc at all.
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Feb-2007, 11:02 PM #2
Hiya, not something as simple as the camera needs USB 2 and you only have USB 1 is it? ...just a thought ....have you tried connecting the camera up first before booting up the computer? to see if it picks it up .....have you tried right clicking on My Computer to see if you can see the camera in there?
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
13-Feb-2007, 11:50 PM #3
I take it you don't even get a detection sound when you plug it in?

Run regedit and navigate to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

With the USB key highlighted, select Edit > Find and enter sony

Are there any "sony" hits in this key? Hit F3 to continue after a hit. Are there are any for Sony Camera? If so try deleting them. For reference I've uploaded a screenshot of a hit for my "Canon" camera. This is a "detection" key. For some reason I have several hits in this USB key and I don't really know why so many got placed there, but all works so I leave them all.

Before doing so backup the USB key by selecting File > Export and save it some place, it could be reinstalled by double clicking the saved reg file.

The "enum" key can be rather tricky to work on, but this is not a critical area. If you have any serious problems on reboot, just select Last Known Good Configuration.

No hits on this key? Or no success?

Try "Plan B:"

USB CLEANUP

First set a System Restore point and test it: start > run: msconfig > Launch System Restore.

The standard approach to these problems is to remove all the USB devices in the Device Manager and let Windows reinstall them. But there is a special technique to it.

I am uploading a registry patch you will need to download, unzip and run. Confirm the merge to the registry.

It is the patch described in JohnWill's note here:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/4...ml#post3435808

Once you have installed the patch, follow the rest of his instructions.

Note: in some cases Windows does not have the proper install path for the information files required. If the New Hardware Wizard prompts you for an install location, point it to:

c:\windows\INF

This is a hidden directory, so you will need to have "show Hidden Files" enabled in Folder Options > View to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Sony Cybershot Unable to connect to PC-usb-enum-camera.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip showhiddevs.zip (247 Bytes, 208 views)

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 13-Feb-2007 at 11:56 PM..
Member with 40 posts.

14-Feb-2007, 08:21 AM #4
Hello Rog,
I tried deleting the Sony Keys but got *unable to delete all specified values*.
I've attached a word doc to show you what I have. (hopefully attached that is).
I kept hitting F3 and it took me through lots of sony related keys. Do you want me to try deleting every one as I come across it? If I can that is?
I actually had the cam working last night and managed to get my pictures down. This was after doing every windows update I could find !!!
I got the message that there was an unknown device in device manager under a usb port. An error message saying windows could not connect to the usb port.
I have tried rebooting the machine with the cam plugged in and switched on as was suggested earlier (Thank you for that).
This morning it wont work again !!
I dunno I'm lost here.
Any chance you might be coming to England soon?
Do you do remote assistance? Not that I know how to link anyway...lol.
Sorry to be a nuisance.
Sue.
Member with 40 posts.

14-Feb-2007, 08:32 AM #5
Sony
Forgot to attach doh !!! No sound when attaching to usb port either.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Doc1.zip (57.9 KB, 133 views)
Member with 2,469 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Feb-2007, 10:18 AM #6
I suggest you get a card reader to read the memory card, It is so much easier and simpler then trying to determine when/if the camera is turned on before/after plugging it in and there is no risk of losing pictures if the camera batteries run down.
Just buy one at Walmart for about $30 and save all the heartburn.

I have 2 older Sony cameras that I like a lot, but am considering that one for the stabilized picture. It looks like a great camera.
Computer Specs

14-Feb-2007, 12:03 PM #7
I would just delete the entries in that key where the device descripton is for a digitital camera.

Reboot afterwards, then plug the camera in. If it continues to be undetected -- try Plan B.

Be sure to set a System Restore point.

>> By the way have you tried different ports ? And be sure NOT to connect through a hub or port multiplier -- which may be bad? That's when I've gotten similar messages from good devices.

And, sorry, none of us do remote assistance here to my knowledge.
Member with 40 posts.

14-Feb-2007, 02:16 PM #8
Hello Knotbored,
The way Im feeling right now you can have my camera with pleasure !
I'll look into a card reader if all else fails but think Walmart may be a bit far for me to travel from England...lol.
Thank you for your suggestions... watch this space.
Senior Member with 1,993 posts.

14-Feb-2007, 02:22 PM #9
Asda then!
Member with 40 posts.

14-Feb-2007, 02:23 PM #10
Hi Rog,
I cant delete the entries in the key where it says Digital Still Camera.. I get the error ... unable to delete all specified values.
Yes Ive tried four ports... still no go. Other usb things work in there but nooooo not this Sonyyyyyyyy
Ive done two system restores earlier as my keyboard suddenly disappeared from device manager and my mouse in the round hole? well that froze altogether.... think Im going to give up Rog and download photos from the cam onto another pc and burn them to disc.
Who knows it's my birthday soon and I may just get a new pc altogether...lol.
Thank you so much for trying to help, I just dont think I'm up to it.
Take care,
Sue.
Member with 40 posts.

14-Feb-2007, 02:24 PM #11
Way to go Asda !!!! *smacks her jeans back pocket*
Computer Specs

14-Feb-2007, 03:08 PM #12
Try this, right click on the Sony Camera key(s) which will not delete and select "permissions"; put a check in Full Control for "Everyone".

Now can you delete that key?

If so, reboot the computer and connect your camera to the USB port. Do you hear a connect sound? Is the key you deleted replaced?
Member with 40 posts.

14-Feb-2007, 03:33 PM #13
Sony
Hi,
I deleted the key twice and rebooted twice just to be sure, reconnected the cam and got no sound. The registry key is back.
I have flashing on the screen on the cam... access... USB Mode Connecting... but nothing on the pc. Nothing in my computer showing as a removeable device.
I only deleted one key, thats the one shown in the doc attached.
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Doc2.zip (55.4 KB, 54 views)
Computer Specs

14-Feb-2007, 06:15 PM #14
Well you can try deleting all keys identified clearly as Sony Digital Camera.

It's obviously being detected and hardware information stored for it.

It should show up in My Computer and in Explorer. There should also be an "Imaging Devices" key in the Device Manager with it. Is there such a key there? You might want to run that registry patch to show "hidden" devices and see if there is anything in the Device Manager when you look following the those directions. I would remove anything hidden or not hidden there.

Also if you run services.msc is Shell Hardware Detection set to automatic startup and running?
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Sony Cybershot Unable to connect to PC-imaging-devices_devmgr.jpg  
Member with 40 posts.

15-Feb-2007, 02:42 PM #15
Hi,
I've been at this most of the day.
I deleted all keys with anything to do with Sony cam. I think the cam was detected just once when I managed to get my pics down, the next morning it wouldn't connect again.
Ive checked in device manager and there is no key for imaging devices.
Shell Hardware Detection is started and running on auto.
I can't follow the instructions for USB driver renewal as the first instruction is to uninstall all usb devices and if I do that I dont have a mouse to manoeuver, the round hole mouse has quit on me!! When I opened the USG Reg file it said not all files could be imported as some keys are open by the system... probably as I have usb's still installed?
I'm going to borrow a mouse tomorrow and see how I get on then.
Thank uuuuuuu.... I'll be back !!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!