Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help Resize image to print 8x10

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Mar-2007, 07:52 PM #1
Help Resize image to print 8x10
I've got an image that I want to get printed through snapfish on 8x10 paper. When I print the image, as is, it get's cropped and doesn't look good. I've been doing some reading on printing digital images to standard photopaper. (aspect ratio's etc). For the image I want to print I'd like to resize the entire image to fit to 8x10. I'd like to do this by having whitespace on one side of the image and physically. trimming the photo. I'd prefer not to crop. The image just doesn't look good cropped.

I have irfanview, no access to photoshop. It seems like this is pretty easy to do in Adobe PS from tutorials on the web. And playing with irfanview it seems like this should be possible as well. However when I try do it. The image quality is too low for even a 4x6 print. So I know I'm doing something wrong. The stats on the original image are in the 1st attached screenshot jpg.

In irfanview I do the following
1) Select Image Resize/Sample
2) Set new size (to inches)
3) Image size is 27 x 28.56 (see Picture)

4) I change it to 8 x 8.46 (Irfanview's calculation with preserved aspect ratio) (see Picture)

5) I click ok (with resample)
6) Snapfish says image resolution is too low. My plan is to have 1.5 inches of whitespace on the long side and to physically trim the print.

see the last attached jpg for the IV stats on the processed picture.

What am I doing wrong? Or is it not possible to resize the photo and retain image quality.

Thanks in advance for your help. Thanks Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Help Resize image to print 8x10-screenshot001.jpg   Help Resize image to print 8x10-screenshot002.jpg   Help Resize image to print 8x10-screenshot003.jpg   Help Resize image to print 8x10-screenshot004.jpg  
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,504 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Mar-2007, 10:52 AM #2
I use an older version of PS and don't use irfanview but I think I see where your problem is occurring. You shouldn't be re-sampling the image but instead only be changing the DPI from 72 to 243. That will give you an 8.00 x 8.46 inch picture size without cutting down the number of pixels.

Then change the canvas size by adding 374 pixels to the top or bottom of the canvas. You can also add 187 pixels top and bottom to vertically center your 1944 x 2056 pixel photo on the 8x10 inch sheet
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,361 posts.

20-Mar-2007, 11:44 AM #3
Welcome to the TSG Forum.

Maybe (probably) I missed something ... But I wouldn't mess with the original if I didn't have to.
Can't you do all you want from the Irfanview's print routine

Something like this ...
Attached Thumbnails
Help Resize image to print 8x10-clipboard01.gif   Help Resize image to print 8x10-clipboard02.gif  

Last edited by Noyb; 20-Mar-2007 at 11:49 AM..
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

20-Mar-2007, 12:26 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyb
Can't you do all you want from the Irfanview's print routine
I believe that port80 is trying to get their 8x10's professionally made by Snapfish (see item #6 in original post), an on-line photo processing service, and not trying to print them out on a printer connected to their computer.

I do agree about only editing a copy of the original file while leaving the original file alone
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

20-Mar-2007, 12:57 PM #5
Thanks .. I missed that.

ALAN ...
Did you try the EDIT > Create Custom Crop Selection ???
Here you can crop to the physical size needed to fit the print you want.
To keep the chosen aspect ratio ... Hold the control key down and move the selection edges.

Looks like some cropping will be needed to fit the final print size you want ... and not distort the picture.

This will prevent any down sizing other than what was cropped.
YES ... always work on a copy of the original.

What does Snapfish want as a minimum resolution ??? Edit .. Never mind, I found the requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Resize image to print 8x10-clipboard01.gif  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Snapfish Req.txt (568 Bytes, 118 views)

Last edited by Noyb; 20-Mar-2007 at 01:33 PM..
Computer Specs

20-Mar-2007, 02:02 PM #6
Quote:
Looks like some cropping will be needed to fit the final print size you want ... and not distort the picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by port80
I'd like to do this by having whitespace on one side of the image and physically. trimming the photo. I'd prefer not to crop. The image just doesn't look good cropped.
Noyb, time to get glasses or switch to a stronger prescription if you all ready wear glasses?
Computer Specs

20-Mar-2007, 02:22 PM #7
OK ... Try This …

Open a copy of your original in Irfanview … And click on image information.
Change the both DPIs to 243 ... and save the File.

This will not change the Image in any way but it will make the default print size 8” Tall and 8.461 Wide.

I don't think you really need to add white space .. But you can do this in Irfanview by adding 374 pixels on the sides in Canvas size.

Then Tell SnapFish to print it 8” tall ... this'll add the white space.
A DPI of 243 is pretty good resolution.

Had my eyes tested the Vet said I needed a bigger monitor
Attached Thumbnails
Help Resize image to print 8x10-clip.gif   Help Resize image to print 8x10-aa2.gif   Help Resize image to print 8x10-22.jpg  
Computer Specs

20-Mar-2007, 03:30 PM #8
Quote:
Had my eyes tested the Vet said I needed a bigger monitor
LMAO

Maybe your insurance company will pay for one of these (doctors orders)?

http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview...-ultrahd.shtml

20-Mar-2007, 04:18 PM #9
Thanks for all the response. Late, Late last night I tried changing the DPI to 243. I have definitely been working on a copy since I'm a newbie to image editing (not computers though). Snapfish still wants to crop the photo even at 243 dpi. Just to confirm you can change the dpi and save the file in irfanview? (that is what the dialog box on the image info implies) One conclusion is that snapfish is really, really, really lame.

I do snapfish through costco so the prints are cheap, and the quality other than the default cropping is in my opinion very good. (guess you get what you pay for). I'm going to go talk to them to see if they can print an entire image on the 8x10 sheet. Which the impression I get from research on other forums is possible, although maybe not through snapfish.
Computer Specs

20-Mar-2007, 05:07 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by port80
Snapfish still wants to crop the photo even at 243 dpi.
As Noyb and I both mentioned you also need to change your canvas size from 1944x2056 pixels to to exactly 1944x2430 pixels by adding 384 pixels of white space to the 2056 pixel dimension. That will give you a picture size of exactly 8.500 x 10.000 inches @ 243 DPI.

If Snapfish is anything like the software used at the Wal-Mart photo kiosks, then I suspect that if a picture does not fully fill the paper size the software scales the picture equally in both dimensions until it all picture edges touch or go beyond the paper edge and then crops anything beyond the edges. I am not sure if there is any customer selectable option to force it to fit the entire picture on the available paper size and adding its own white space as need be.
Computer Specs

20-Mar-2007, 10:19 PM #11
I don't know why SnapFish couldn't print a picture 8” Tall and 8.461" Wide.
You could do this easily on a home printer ... Without editing your picture in anyway.
Obviously ... The unused print space will be white.

The only thing that changing the DPI does .. Is change the default physical size (in inches) that the picture thinks it is.
Any print routine can override the pictures default physical size (in inches)

Never done a Wal-Mart or Snapfish ... so I asked the local Wal-Mart expert ...
"How would you print a 8"x9" picture 8" tall"

My Wife gave me one of those "You Dummy" looks ... and said ... "Push the 8x10 Button"
Anyone here want to tell her she's wrong ???

21-Mar-2007, 04:40 PM #12
Chuck,
You were correct when I added the border to make the pixel dimensions 1944x2430, Snapfish then interpretted the photo correctly as 8x10. You seem to be exactly correct in how snapfish behaves based on its "interpretation" of image dimensions. Great reverse engineering!

Thanks so much folks for all your great helpful posts. I now have the formula for resizing my pictures to do a "shrink to fit" print out, at least at Snapfish. (until they change their algorithm)

1. Calculate the pixel dimensions for the paper size,
2. change the dpi of the image so that at least 1 side of the image matches the exact pixel dimension of the paper size. (example 8 inch side)
3. Add appropriate border (white space) so the other side of the image matches the exact pixel size of the other dimension of the paper size. (example 10 inch side)

You don't need to resample your picture.

I'm restating this so that 1) you folks can correct me if I'm wrong and 2) so that the next poor sap who wants to do this, (I can't be the only one) who uses google to search for an answer, has a better chance of finding it. I found bits and pieces of the answer in my pretty extensive searching of the web but not all the steps in one place.

Thanks, again. I never would have figured this out on my own.
Computer Specs

21-Mar-2007, 04:45 PM #13
As you mentioned ... this would have been a lot easier with Photoshop.
Just change the canvas size to your dimensions .. it does all the calculations ...then send it.
FYI ... The cheaper version ... Photoshop Elements 5.0 has all these Photoshop tools @~ 1/10th the price.

21-Mar-2007, 04:46 PM #14
One other note. There is a shrink to fit at walmart. But the print quality was terrible. I would have to do more editing to make the coloring and brightness come out correctly at WM. Print quality at costco with snapfish was excellent and 1/4 the price of walmart.

21-Mar-2007, 04:49 PM #15
Thanks didn't know about PS Elements. With the amount of editing I do there's no way I'm going to pay 500 or 600 bucks for Photoshop. It's a great program but I'd use it 4 or 5 times a year. Not even worth the hard drive space for that. How much is Elements?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!