Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

easier way to add info to Jpeg properties

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2007, 09:27 AM #1
easier way to add info to Jpeg properties
What software is good for editing the Comments,title, subject...etc of a Jpeg file (the properties).

Rather than right click and go to properties, I want to be able to view the file and then add information like People or place year etc.

My HP software sort of has it, but I'd like to know if there are any other programs (free downloads) that may work better.
Member with 6,832 posts.

14-Jun-2007, 10:47 AM #2
Irfanview lets you do that in batches if you want. You can make the thumbnails larger so you can see better, hold the Ctrl key while you select everything that you want a certain comment or IPTC data. Right click on a highlighted image and go to loseless operations. www.irfanview.com

Another freeware with good capabilities in that regard is MyAlbum. http://perso.orange.fr/myalbum/MyAlbum.html
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

14-Jun-2007, 12:13 PM #3
thanks, I have Irfanview. It is not a batch change I want, but individual pictures. I'll check out the one you listed.

I assume this is the one I would use, but it comes up with another language, and looks like it did not find the page

MyAlbum The standard international version of MyAlbum (2.24 MB)
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

14-Jun-2007, 02:26 PM #4
cindylachieuse :

Not what I'm looking for, but the site is pretty cool.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,412 posts.

14-Jun-2007, 02:30 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy1
cindylachieuse :Not what I'm looking for, but the site is pretty cool.
That Spammer's gone now (again) ... along with their spam.

Can't you use Irfanview >> Information >> Comment ???
See comment ....
Attached Thumbnails
easier way to add info to Jpeg properties-bosses.jpg  

Last edited by Noyb; 14-Jun-2007 at 02:43 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

14-Jun-2007, 03:10 PM #6
LOL...I thought it was, but I liked the site

those properties in Irfanview are more for the technical part of the file. I want to do this quickly I don't want to call up a picture then click somewhere to bring up the properties, then click the summary tab, add info an then click OK. It just gets annoying when you go through a lot of pictures.

what I'm looking for is a single screen where I can flip through the images (need to be able to see it), just click in the fields to update and then move on.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

15-Jun-2007, 11:33 AM #7
From what I understand the info is stored in the EXIF header of the file. I added the titles of the categories (surrounded by 1's) and then opened the file with Notepad

ÿØÿà JFIF    ÿá ªExif II*   ›œ  J œœ  Z œ  p žœ ‚ Ÿœ  Ž 1 T i t l e 1 1 C o m m e n t s 1 1 A u t h o r 1 1 K e y 1 1 S u b j e c t 1

From what I can see it writes 3 null values between categories and one Null between each character.

But anyways I would expect that this is something everyone would want to store with their image files. I am just not seeing a "Standard" amongst the programs I have been trying. And like I said a simple way to modify the info.
Member with 6,832 posts.

15-Jun-2007, 01:21 PM #8
The more common way to add information to a file is the IPTC. It transfers with the file like the EXIF and is in an easily modified format.

M$ has a new powertoy you might find useful. I just installed it and you can get something like you want for the metadata. The information goes in the IPTC. You can “select all”, right click one of the highlighted images and select Photo Info. You can page through the thumbnails with the text input box active for that thumbnail.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...photoinfo.mspx
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

15-Jun-2007, 01:48 PM #9
thanks slipe, I downloaded the MS program. that exactly what I am looking for. The only problem with this one is the image is quite small so I have to open some of them to take a good look at who/where.

I'll have to read up on the IPTC
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

15-Jun-2007, 02:19 PM #10
I like this, I am able to add the generic info to multiple files (edit as collection option) and then go back and add specific details by flipping through each picture.

The download adds it to the right click menu.
Member with 6,832 posts.

15-Jun-2007, 02:47 PM #11
Quote:
The only problem with this one is the image is quite small so I have to open some of them to take a good look at who/where.
Which is why Irfanview works better for me. I can display the thumbnails at 300 pixels and still have three abreast. There is enough information in a 300 pixel thumb to sort, delete and modify without having to cycle through the full sized image. Occasionally I’ll call up the full screen image and scroll back and forth between two that are similar when I see no reason to keep both. Irfanview thumbnails is normally a good tool for most housekeeping.

If I added comments or metadata to photos I would use Irfanview. With a thumbnail large enough to see I would right click, loseless, set comment (or IPTC). You get the full sized image with the comment box and the thumbnail page is still in the taskbar with the last image highlighted. It would be a lot faster for me than the M$ powertoy after having to check the full sized image.

You are evidently a more highly disciplined photographer than I. It took a while during the transition from film, but now I take lots of shots. So even a comment like “Zoe eyeing Natalie while pulling Bubba’s tail” would apply to several images.

Edit:
Quote:
I like this, I am able to add the generic info to multiple files (edit as collection option) and then go back and add specific details by flipping through each picture.
I could do that a lot faster in Irfanview as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

15-Jun-2007, 03:17 PM #12
Ok thanks I'll look again at Irfanview, it says i have to down load a plugin for lossness from the website.

I'm thinking longterm. I have hundreds of images that I have been scanning. So as this now becomes a digital collection I want to be able to have the names of the people added and the description much like you would have in the past when you had the "developed" pictures....and yes that was a pain to remember to do....often you just wrote on the envelope the subject and then filed it away.

Thanks
Member with 1,657 posts.

15-Jun-2007, 10:08 PM #13
A program that I find usefull is XnView: www.xnview.com
Similar to Irfanview, but with more options. I use both.
After adding 'Comments' to your photos, viewing the comment always took a few clicks. With XnView you can set what you want to show in the tooltips. Hover your mouse over a thumbnail and instantly read the comment, or IPTC.

moper
Attached Thumbnails
easier way to add info to Jpeg properties-xnviewscreenshot.jpg  
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,412 posts.

16-Jun-2007, 10:21 AM #14
I'm wondering .... How can we add comments that'll show here ??
Irfanview can't seem to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
easier way to add info to Jpeg properties-clipboard01.gif  
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

16-Jun-2007, 12:32 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyb
I'm wondering .... How can we add comments that'll show here ??
Irfanview can't seem to do it.
If you right click on the folder headings (name,type modified etc), you can select many more things to show.

Moper I'll try that Xnview, thanks...

.I've been downloading many different free software programs to see what they do. Even if they don't do what I want exactly is interesting to see the different options that are available
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!