Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

jpg files won't open

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 213 posts.

Experience: somewhere in between
02-Aug-2007, 09:15 PM #16
If its only jpgs and not any other file with ext like gif or png did you check your file association. If you go into start, my computer click on tools folder options and file types what association beseid jpg is directed to open it. dont no if this will help . also to i no this will sound korny but rename the pic with the same extension jpg and see if it will open .
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2007, 11:44 PM #17
OK, I tried the Trendmicro scan. It found some adware problems and one other "malware" -- BKDR_DELF.DUW. I looked this up and it seems to be a "backdoor" file where someone else can monitor keystrokes, etc. The 2 files "infected" with this were riched20.dll and f3restub.dll. Trendmicro deleted these files along with the adware cookies.

To answer the other questions-
> No, all the pictures are not corrupted -- but all in each effected folder are corrupted.
>Yes, I use Faststone image viewer -- but have used it for well over a year with no problem
>The pictures were taken on a digital camera and downloaded onto my computer -- they were not created by any program

I'll try to attach a zipped file of one of the corrupted image files.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!!! It does seem strange to see that several people are having very similar problems.

02-Aug-2007, 11:45 PM #18
OK, a zipped file of an effected image file is attached. Thanks!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG_0005.zip (184 Bytes, 78 views)

02-Aug-2007, 11:51 PM #19
I did check the jpg file association (that was one of the first things) -- it is set to MS Photo Editor. And, I tried renaming the files -- file still will not open.

Thanks!!!!
Member with 6,832 posts.

03-Aug-2007, 01:02 AM #20
Strange. The zip file downloaded to my computer as a 1k file. It unzipped to a 96k JPG. JPGs are compressed and usually can’t be compressed any more by zip compression. Which means the file is toast. I opened it in a hex editor and there is nothing there.

Irfanview says it can’t read the header. But the entire file is trashed. It wouldn’t do any good to fix the header. And no JPG repair program will be able to fix it.

My computer rounded it up to 1k. It is actually a lot smaller. I saw bytes and thought k.
Attached Thumbnails
jpg files won't open-hex.jpg  
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 213 posts.

Experience: somewhere in between
03-Aug-2007, 07:14 AM #21
I got the same thing as Slipe. it almost looks like its encrypted.
Senior Member with 429 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2007, 09:25 AM #22
Are the files saved as JPEG or other format such as JPEG2 or JPEG 2000 format which is not as widely supported as the original JPEG format? You may need to change the default save format in your Photo package.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,389 posts.

03-Aug-2007, 10:12 AM #23
Looks like your Image was just plain corrupted.
Also sounds like you don't have a good Image Viewer and Editor.

This may not have caused your problem ...
But maybe you'd like to join many of us here at TSG, and use Irfanview ...
http://www.irfanview.com/

Some initial Irfanview setup tips here ...
http://2noyb.home.insightbb.com/

03-Aug-2007, 10:42 AM #24
Thanks everyone! The files are simple .jpg files. The image file I attached is 97.6 kb before I zipped it -- afterwards it is 184 bytes. Some of the effected image files are quite large -- over 1 mb. When I zipped a 1.2 mb files it reduced to 354 bytes. Doesn't sound good I know. I'm not using win-zip -- I'm using a freeware program called 7-Zip. Would this make any difference???

Thanks so much for trying to help! Any idea what might have caused this aggravating problem?
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2007, 10:48 AM #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthompson
I'm not using win-zip -- I'm using a freeware program called 7-Zip. Would this make any difference???
Probably not .. But why don't you just use W-XP to Zip and Unzip ??

In XP .. Anything you extract from a zip folder .. will be unzipped when extracted.
Attached Thumbnails
jpg files won't open-clipboard01.gif  
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2007, 11:33 AM #26
Quote:
.. Any idea what might have caused this aggravating problem?..
Maybe M$ Photo Editor ??? ... It looks a little old from what I read.
I have M$ Office Picture Manager.

If this is your only Imaging program ... I'd suggest using the freeware Irfanview instead.
Irfanview's Very popular here at TSG ... Then we can all talk the same language.
Member with 6,832 posts.

03-Aug-2007, 11:41 AM #27
Quote:
Thanks everyone! The files are simple .jpg files. The image file I attached is 97.6 kb before I zipped it -- afterwards it is 184 bytes. Some of the effected image files are quite large -- over 1 mb. When I zipped a 1.2 mb files it reduced to 354 bytes. Doesn't sound good I know. I'm not using win-zip -- I'm using a freeware program called 7-Zip. Would this make any difference???
It makes no difference what you zipped the file with. If a 1.2 Mb file compresses to 354 bytes the entire file is just a continuous repetition with no useable information. The hex file confirmed that for the other image.

Donít get talked out of 7-Zip. It is the Swiss Army Knife of compression. I prefer Irfanview as a viewer only because I know how to use it fairly well. Faststone has a good reputation.

Those answers to other questions had no relation to anything I asked if they were in reference to my post. I was wondering where the corrupted folders were stored and whether you used organization software.

The keystroke worm probably didnít have anything to do with your corruption. They lay low and try to call as little attention to themselves as possible. I would be a little uncomfortable if I had ever typed in a credit card number though. Adware and spyware doesnít attack files.

I have no idea what might cause that. It might be instructive if you could tell us where your corrupted folders were stored. Another poster said only the folders in My Pictures were being corrupted. It they were my photos the uncorrupted ones would be on CD or DVD by now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!