Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Transferring JPG from computer to SD card

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2007, 03:43 AM #1
Question Transferring JPG from computer to SD card
I am trying to copy pictures on my computer to an SD card. It's fine in that the computer recognises that the pictures are on the card but when i put it in both my camera, they say there is no image. What am I doing wrong guys. help really appriciated.
Regards
Dougie
Senior Member with 869 posts.

Experience: Enough
04-Aug-2007, 07:58 AM #2
Whats the location that you stored the picture? And the filename?

Try taking a picture on the camera, then seeing where it's stored, then saving the picture there.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2007, 08:32 AM #3
Goodday blaqDeaph
On the computer the photo are in various folders. I copy them to the card via a usb port. I have tried putting them in various folders that appear when the card is in inserted ie DCMI. When re-inserted, the card shows the transferred picture but, as I said, the picture does not show on the camera.
Thanks for your interest.
Regards
Dougie
Member with 17,584 posts.

04-Aug-2007, 07:11 PM #4
Some cameras allow reverse loading, other are not so happy about it.
You fail to mention what the camera make and model is that may allow someone with an identical camera to try it?

Often the file name must meet certain specific criterea, as must the image resolution, before the camera firmware can read it.

I hope you meant "DCIM" rather than "DCMI" though as a folder name, as DCMI sounds strange to me...
Member with 6,832 posts.

05-Aug-2007, 02:53 PM #5
With no photos on the card from the camera DCIM is the only folder that usually shows. I always format to erase so that might not apply if you don’t format. If you take a picture you will find that most cameras make a sub-folder under DCIM. If you want to view the photos on the LCD you should probably take a photo first so you can put the downloaded photos in the same folder the camera stores them in.

Most cameras are FAT and require you to use the FAT file name protocol or the pictures can’t be viewer. That means 8 characters with no spaces or illegal symbols.

I’ve had or used cameras from Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Casio and Minolta. All let me view photos uploaded back into the proper folder with a proper FAT filename. I haven’t tried to upload photos to my Sony but I would wager it will show the photos also. I have read that some cameras require the EXIF not be stripped, but that hasn’t affected a couple of cameras I tried it on.

I think most people have problems because they rename the files. It is a rare camera that won’t display the images if you don’t mess with the file name and put it in the right folder.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!