Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DVD-R with photos on it - my HP laptop can't read it

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 138 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Aug-2007, 05:11 PM #1
DVD-R with photos on it - my HP laptop can't read it
A friend burned photos onto a DVD-R and when I put the disc into my laptop, it does not see them. It's as if the disk is empty.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening. I also tried the disk in a my friends laptop which is the same model laptap as mine. This laptop also does not see any photos onb the disk yet when the disk is put in the desk top computer it was burned on, the photos are there.

Any ideas as to what is wrong?
Senior Member with 1,275 posts.

18-Aug-2007, 10:33 PM #2
is it dvd-r or dvd -RW? if the disc isnt closed it may not read properly
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2007, 12:02 AM #3
It's a DVD-R (not a rewritable disk). When you say closed, is that meant for a DVD-RW?

Aso, why would it be read by the desktop computer that it was written on, but not on two different HP Pavillion laptops?

Last edited by deepseasailor; 19-Aug-2007 at 12:07 AM..

19-Aug-2007, 01:22 AM #4
well im a little fuzzy on this but i i believe if you create a multisession disc then it may not be readable until it is finalized
Registered User with 722 posts.

19-Aug-2007, 11:14 AM #5
If the disk isn't finalized, it might not be readable on a second machine, but must be readable by the machine that wrote it. If your friend doesn't know whether it was finalized or not, ask your friend to add one more data as a test.

If he can, it's still a multi-session disk, and the option to close it should be picked from the burner software.

If it was already finalized, then you just have a case where the choice of DVD blanks and the DVD burner hardware wasn't compatible between machines. You could try another brand of DVD disk, or set the options on the burning machine to write at a slower speed.
Member with 6,832 posts.

19-Aug-2007, 11:17 AM #6
Evidently multi-session DVDs can be tricky. Many programs warn you when you choose to burn a multi-session DVD that it might not be readable on all drives. The DVD “read only” specifications don’t include multi-session. So a DVD-ROM drive might not read them. My guess is that it was recorded multi-session and your laptop has a read only drive that can’t read them.

It has never seemed to make any difference whether a multi-session CD or DVD was closed or left open.
Computer Specs

20-Aug-2007, 11:01 AM #7
It was burned using Nero. I also have Nero, but cannot get it to burn on this Memorex DVD-R or several other of these DVD's from the same package. Could I have gotten a batch of deffective DVD's or is there is something wrong with my DVD burner? I am able to record on CD-RW's and I have been able to record on a DVD-R from this batch of disks in the past.

I don't know how to do a multi-session burning with Nero. I don't know how to tell if a session is closed or not.

A friend told me to only use DVD's made in Japan. These ones were made in Taiwan. I have been unable to find DVD's made in Japan.

Last edited by deepseasailor; 20-Aug-2007 at 11:16 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Aug-2007, 02:47 PM #8
First try to burn the dvd of another brand.
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2007, 12:07 PM #9
I'll give it a try.

Thanks
Registered User with 722 posts.

22-Aug-2007, 12:09 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseasailor
I don't know how to do a multi-session burning with Nero. I don't know how to tell if a session is closed or not.
With my copy of Nero Express, on the last screen (it contains the DVD burn button in the bottom right corner), is a check box that says
"[ ] Allow files to be added later (multi-session disc".
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,389 posts.

22-Aug-2007, 06:08 AM #11
Did you really mean DVD-R ?? .... Many HPs only take DVD+R
I use these in all my HPs ...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1083712187226

Last edited by Noyb; 22-Aug-2007 at 09:29 AM..
Computer Specs

24-Aug-2007, 10:33 AM #12
I did use the DVD-R before but have had trouble with these Memorex disks made in Taiwan. A friend has almost the same laptop (slightly older - but still the Pavillion series) and she told me to look for DVD-R's made in Japan, as these are the best quality. I have had no luck finding them in my area.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,389 posts.

24-Aug-2007, 10:45 AM #13
Some newer HP's can burn DVD+/-Rs ... All of them can burn DVD+Rs

I was once having trouble with my burner .. (after I did a firmware update)
HP asked me what brand I was using ... I said "Memorex"
After a short pause .. HP politely said ... "I'd suggest another brand"

They sent me a new burner ... I got new CD/DVDs ... and now I wont firmware update anything unless it's broke.
I now use Sony DVD+R
I hear that Verbatum's are also good.

EDIT .. Now that I'm on my third cup of morning Coffee .. I was using Maxells .. Not Memorex.

Last edited by Noyb; 24-Aug-2007 at 10:59 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Aug-2007, 11:29 AM #14
Uninstall Nero from your comp and install Deep burner on it. You can download this software from internet for free. Hope this will solves your problem.

24-Aug-2007, 02:57 PM #15
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!