Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

VuPoint Solutions Film Scanner


(!)

busybee527's Avatar
busybee527 busybee527 is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: May 2006
Experience: Beginner
19-Sep-2007, 02:01 PM #1
Unhappy VuPoint Solutions Film Scanner
I recently purchased this scanner FS-C1-VP to print pictures from old negatives and slides. Users manual states 'supports Windows XP and USB 2.0 only' which I have. It comes with Arcsoft Software Suite and PhotoImpression 6 on the same disk. The software works fine but its only copying a larger image of the negative, not producing a picture. I have removed, unistalled and installed but still get a negative when I hit 'acquire'. I could also choose 'copy' from the scanner itself with same results. Their 'HELP' doesn't.
slipe's Avatar
Member with 6,832 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Tampa Bay
19-Sep-2007, 02:55 PM #2
Grub around the scanner driver file menu and look for “Source”. Any film scanner will have a negative source setting that inverts the image and removes the orange. “Transparency” means positive slide where “Film” or “Negative” would be the source you want to select.

Scan directly from the driver and avoid PhotoImpressions and ArcSoft until you get the driver set and learn to operate without other software intervening. You can scan directly from the scanner driver to a folder without involving software. You will likely find it under Start > All Programs. Often scanners put an icon in the system tray and there might be a physical button on the scanner to open the scanner driver. “Acquire” from software should open the scanner driver interface, but I think you might develop an understanding better to work directly with the driver. It is probably listed in All Programs under the scanner name or the name of the driver.
busybee527's Avatar
busybee527 busybee527 is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: May 2006
Experience: Beginner
22-Sep-2007, 11:58 AM #3
VuPoint Solutions Film Scanner-2
I tried to access the scanner driver (from start, all programs) but all I see is a shortcut for AMCAP and an uninstall shortcut. Sorry, I'm so dense, but need simpler instructions.
slipe's Avatar
Member with 6,832 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Tampa Bay
22-Sep-2007, 01:00 PM #4
If I happened to have a VuPoint Solutions film scanner I could probably give you some detailed instructions. I can only give you general information.

My guess is that the applications you are scanning with are using the Windows WIA scanner driver. It wouldn’t have the sophistication to invert a negative and remove the orange. All film scanners have drivers with that ability. Either you didn’t install the driver or you aren’t finding it for some reason.

Download and install the free Irfanview at www.irfanview.com . I would suggest selecting “Images Only” when it asks for file associations during install. Once it is installed go File > Select TWAIN Source. Hopefully that will tell you the name of your scanner driver if it is installed. If your only choice is WIA it is likely your scanner driver isn’t installed.
photonow's Avatar
photonow photonow is offline
Junior Member with 1 posts.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Experience: Intermediate
24-Sep-2007, 07:34 PM #5
Slide scanner
What happens when you "transfer"? Where are you pictures going? I had the same
problem but once I got the transfer to work ( it goes through a process)and hit exit my scans were displayed as a photo in my "my pictures" file. Did you calibrate it? I love it. It is not the best quality but for now it works for me.
micseld's Avatar
micseld micseld is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Experience: use computers all the time
06-Oct-2007, 12:57 AM #6
calibrate
I purchased the VuPoint film scanner. My pictures are coming out with too much contract. Do you know if there is a way to calibrate BEFORE the slide is scanned or "acquired"? Thanks, Michael
triple-g's Avatar
triple-g triple-g is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Experience: Intermediate
13-Oct-2007, 02:07 AM #7
Driver installation problems - please help.
Hi. New member here. I just purchased the VuPoint scanner. The software installed fine. However, the scanner driver is a problem. The installation wizard seems to run correctly until the end, when it concludes by stating something to the effect of “cannot finish install. Consult Windows Troubleshooting.”
In Windows Device Manager, double-clicking the Imaging Device results in “This device cannot start. (Code 10)”
In Photo Impressions, attempting to acquire resulted in “Load OmniVision Supercam!!” I found and downloaded that online, then tried again. This time, Photo Impressions wouldn’t even recognize an output device.
I downloaded the driver from the VuPoint website. Still no solution. Please help. I’m guessing that this toy isn’t worth the hassle.
(I’m running XP Pro on an IBM Thinkpad with USB 2.0 ports.) Thanks!

Todd
donkirk's Avatar
donkirk donkirk is offline
Junior Member with 7 posts.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
22-Oct-2007, 07:05 PM #8
My Turn with Vupoint Problems?
I've spent a couple of days now trying to get my VP C1 running, with no luck so far.

Photonow, you said once you got your machine to transfer everything went well--but how did you get it to transfer? My scanner shows up in Irfanview and in PhotoImpressions (and in other apps) but none of them will actually connect to the scanner and accept a scan.

Triple-g, you got the same message I did about connecting Omnivision Supercam, and said you found it on-line. All I've found online is discussion, mostly about using that web cam on Linux. The installation process goes through and tells me that the scanner is installed, but I'm still asked for the Web cam to be connected. I see that the installation program for the scanner includes a full set of parameters for the Supercam, but I haven't found a way to get my XP SP2 to accept it.

And to top it off I haven't been able to reach vupoint.com either day I've been working at this.

What's the secret to getting this thing working? :-)
donkirk's Avatar
donkirk donkirk is offline
Junior Member with 7 posts.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
24-Oct-2007, 01:57 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkirk
I've spent a couple of days now trying to get my VP C1 running, with no luck so far.

Photonow, you said once you got your machine to transfer everything went well--but how did you get it to transfer? My scanner shows up in Irfanview and in PhotoImpressions (and in other apps) but none of them will actually connect to the scanner and accept a scan.

Triple-g, you got the same message I did about connecting Omnivision Supercam, and said you found it on-line. All I've found online is discussion, mostly about using that web cam on Linux. The installation process goes through and tells me that the scanner is installed, but I'm still asked for the Web cam to be connected. I see that the installation program for the scanner includes a full set of parameters for the Supercam, but I haven't found a way to get my XP SP2 to accept it.

And to top it off I haven't been able to reach vupoint.com either day I've been working at this.

What's the secret to getting this thing working? :-)
I contacted Support at VuPoint, and didn't get much help. The tech says it's working on her own system, and suggested I return my unit to the vendor for an exchange (she pretty much said some units may not work right). The company itself doesn't seem very involved in dealing with the problem, and she didn't comment when I told her other buyers are having the same problems I am.

FWIW, I downloaded a new set of drivers from VuPoint, along with a couple of short, only slightly helpful FAQs [http://www.vupointsolutions.com/accessories-fs.asp]. You need to click on the image to expand the display. The FAQs are under the support tab; the drivers are at the bottom of the specs on the main page. I made sure I had Admin privileges, disabled the firewall and virus apps, and made several attempts to make things work. No change from what I'd been doing before. Can't find a log file, and nothing in the registry that hints of a problem. None of my imaging programs work with the scanner; all want the Omnivision Supercam plugged in (?).
nlitnd's Avatar
nlitnd nlitnd is offline
Junior Member with 2 posts.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Experience: Beginner
20-Nov-2007, 04:54 PM #10
VuPoint FS-C1-VP Film & Slide Scanner
I just got mine a few days ago. It's a little hinky, but gives me the best results out of all the scanners I've tried. Install the drivers and software before plugging it in as instructed.
The other photo editing software I use - Faststone (a wonderful freebie) and Serif Photoplus recognize the scanner. They scan negative film as a negative.
Busybee - you're already there. Use any such program; look for "negative" in the menus, and click it to make the reversal to a positive photo.
The VuPoint scanner takes more than the five seconds recommended to "equalize" the color and light balance, however some of my slides provided better results by clicking quickly because waiting for the scanner to balance ended up washing some out too much.
My PC doesn't like to boot with the scanner plugged in; I boot first then plug it in.
Good luck!!

PS
Their bundled software - Arcsoft Photoimpression6 - makes the conversion automatically.

Last edited by nlitnd; 20-Nov-2007 at 05:04 PM..
donkirk's Avatar
donkirk donkirk is offline
Junior Member with 7 posts.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
23-Nov-2007, 05:51 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlitnd
I just got mine a few days ago. It's a little hinky, but gives me the best results out of all the scanners I've tried. Install the drivers and software before plugging it in as instructed.
The other photo editing software I use - Faststone (a wonderful freebie) and Serif Photoplus recognize the scanner. They scan negative film as a negative.
Busybee - you're already there. Use any such program; look for "negative" in the menus, and click it to make the reversal to a positive photo.
The VuPoint scanner takes more than the five seconds recommended to "equalize" the color and light balance, however some of my slides provided better results by clicking quickly because waiting for the scanner to balance ended up washing some out too much.
My PC doesn't like to boot with the scanner plugged in; I boot first then plug it in.
Good luck!!

PS
Their bundled software - Arcsoft Photoimpression6 - makes the conversion automatically.
===================
Did you get any messages (other than the steps in the process) when you were setting it up? I've received a different unit now, but am having the same problem I did with the one I exchanged. The driver and the Arcsoft both load nicely from the CD. When I plug in the scanner it finds the software, and tells me it's setting it up for the scanner; it loads a lot of files and at the very end it tells me the data is bad and it can't install the scanner. I've tried several times to install it automatically from Windows, but my WXP SP2 doesn't recognize any appropriate hardware, and when I try to install it manually it always tells me it can't find the appropriate .inf of install files for the scanner.

It would really help if the error messages gave some information about what the problem is. I'm getting ready to call VuPoint again to see if I can get any details, but I'm close to giving up on what looks like a really useful product. Anybody have ideas?
boby's Avatar
boby boby is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Experience: Intermediate
10-Jan-2008, 07:14 PM #12
install good, results not so
This Forum has been helpful to me so I wanted to contribute my experience:
In the past month, I have auditioned two filmscanners on my XP Media Center PC; the Plustek Opticfilm 7200i SE and, the VuPoint FS-V1-CP. I had difficulty installing the Plustek but eventually scanned about 30 slides successfully, then it crashed. The Plustek support is limited and difficult to contact but once I got them and we ran through uninstall and re-install a few times they gave up and gave me two choices, either send it back to the point of purchase for a refund or send it to Plustek for repair. A tough choice since the deadline for return it was closing-in. I returned it and ordered the VuPoint.
In the meantime, I got a call from Plustek Support who told me told that mine was a common problem and they had come up with fix. Too late for me!
The VuPoint installed easily and worked right out of the box. However, I was not able to come close to the quality of the Plustek in producing scanned slides with the VuPoint. I am now returning the VuPoint.
The difference in cost of these two filmscanners is $100 for VuPoint versus $300 for the Plustek and the difference in quality is commensurate with the price. I wish these units were available locally at retail but not. It's been a time consumming and costly (return shipping) audition but I've learned alot and will try the PlusTek again to ensure the quality I'm looking for.
donkirk's Avatar
donkirk donkirk is offline
Junior Member with 7 posts.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
11-Jan-2008, 03:12 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boby View Post
This Forum has been helpful to me so I wanted to contribute my experience:
In the past month, I have auditioned two filmscanners on my XP Media Center PC; the Plustek Opticfilm 7200i SE and, the VuPoint FS-V1-CP. I had difficulty installing the Plustek but eventually scanned about 30 slides successfully, then it crashed. The Plustek support is limited and difficult to contact but once I got them and we ran through uninstall and re-install a few times they gave up and gave me two choices, either send it back to the point of purchase for a refund or send it to Plustek for repair. A tough choice since the deadline for return it was closing-in. I returned it and ordered the VuPoint.
In the meantime, I got a call from Plustek Support who told me told that mine was a common problem and they had come up with fix. Too late for me!
The VuPoint installed easily and worked right out of the box. However, I was not able to come close to the quality of the Plustek in producing scanned slides with the VuPoint. I am now returning the VuPoint.
The difference in cost of these two filmscanners is $100 for VuPoint versus $300 for the Plustek and the difference in quality is commensurate with the price. I wish these units were available locally at retail but not. It's been a time consumming and costly (return shipping) audition but I've learned alot and will try the PlusTek again to ensure the quality I'm looking for.
I never got the VuPoint to install on my machine; probably something unique to my system since most folks seem to have gotten it going properly. I finally gave up and went to eBay, where I found a Minolta Dimage Dual IV for well below its list price when it was on the market. I've only done a few scans to check out how it works and to see how my 50 year old slides have survived, and I'm fully satisfied. It was more than I had in mind to pay to begin with, but I think I've ended up with a substantially better scanner.
NOMADdaf's Avatar
NOMADdaf NOMADdaf is offline
Junior Member with 2 posts.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
22-Feb-2008, 07:13 PM #14
Scanner question
I just got Vupoint scanner and it works great ....but.....when a slide is inserted it starts dark then adjusts 4 or 5 brightness levels. But the last step or 2 is far too bright. I can not find a place to control this. So I must click the photo on the fly giving me no time to check foe alignment or dust. If I miss my mark I must remove the slide and wait for it to adjust to the light. And I must remove the slide holder and wait for each new slide. This thing is great but for this one major problem. I love it and hate it at the same time. Any ideas ? I have around 2000 slides to convert and I will be very lod before I am done at this rate!!!
PopPicker's Avatar
PopPicker PopPicker is offline PopPicker has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 637 posts.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Downunder
Experience: She said I was good
22-Feb-2008, 07:31 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMADdaf View Post
I just got Vupoint scanner and it works great

You and I must have serious differences on the definition of the word great.

LOL
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑