Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What is the best free scanning software

(!)

Member with 32 posts.

27-Dec-2007, 12:48 AM #1
Question What is the best free scanning software
which free scanning softwares would you guys recommend for me to use?
PopPicker PopPicker is offline PopPicker has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 637 posts.

Experience: She said I was good
27-Dec-2007, 02:02 AM #2
Question: What's wrong with the software that came with the scanner?
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,326 posts.

27-Dec-2007, 08:35 PM #3
If you have Windows XP ...
Windows Scanner n Camera Wizard is already installed ... All you need is the scanner Twain driver.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,347 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Dec-2007, 07:27 PM #4
Hi homerguy. Okay let us assume you already have a scanner. Now you want to know about scanning software.

The first thing you need is the twain driver. This is scanner specific and if you don't have the disks and things that came with the scanner you can most likely download the required driver. Just do a google search.

Next, you probably want some way of organising and viewing your scanned documents and pictures. There are a lot of different options here. I would recommend either Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) or Faststone image viewer (http://www.faststone.org/).
With these types of programmes you can use them to run the twain driver to scan the image.

Lastly you may want to convert scanned documents back into editable text. For this you need an OCR (optical character recognition) programme. If you have office suite, look in your tools folder. You hopefully will find microsoft office document image/scanning which will alow you to scan a document and then convert the picture into a word document.

If my and the other responses don't answer your question, maybe provide a little more information, i.e. what type of scanner you have and what sort of scanning programme you are looking for.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,326 posts.

31-Dec-2007, 09:12 PM #5
I'd recommend Irfanview ... See the bottom of this page ...
http://2noyb.home.insightbb.com/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!