Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

converting jpeg into high resolution so as in printable format

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Apr-2008, 10:38 AM #1
Unhappy converting jpeg into high resolution so as in printable format
I have a jpeg file with artwork that has to be saved in high resolution because otherwise when I send it off to the printers the quality of the printing will be bad. It appears the file I have from graphic designer was saved in a low resolution. Please help? What program do I need to do this?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-Apr-2008, 11:07 AM #2
You can't really just enlarge a low resolution photo and have it look good. The photo only contains so much "image information" and when that information is lacking, the enlargement shows the gaps.

Many photo editing suites have some compensation for that, such as reducing "sharpness" to effectively smudge the existing pixels to fill in the missing ones. But if you want a good, high resolution image, you need to start with a high resolution image.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Apr-2008, 11:50 AM #3
Thanks! Are there any programs that you know of that I can download on a free trial basis that might assist in sharpening the image...cause the graphic designer is away and I need to correct this asap for our event.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-Apr-2008, 12:15 PM #4
IrfanView has some simple functionality. But there are definitely loads of free programs at all levels of complexity. Just a reminder--make a copy and work on that. Don't ever lose your original among all the changes and not be able to get back.

VCW VicMan`s Photo Editor is another good one.

Here's some more:

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gm...aphicedit.html

Don't buy anything. Some free ones, like The Gimp, are as good or better than anything you can buy short of PhotoShop or similar, and even then...debatable.

(PS. I am far from a photo expert. Many other people here may chime in when they see this thread.)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!