Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What lens?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 316 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Aug-2008, 01:53 AM #1
What lens?
Hi, I'm considering getting a new lens for my 400D. Currently I have the kit lens and a 28 mm - 135 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS USM which is excellent and covers my outdoor/zoom lens requirements.

I'm now looking for a lens for use as a wide angle, indoor and has decent macro capabilities if one exists. USM/IS would be good. I'm not looking to spend an absolute fortune, I think about 600 would be my ideal limit so do go telling me to buy crazy 3000 L lenses!

I'd been looking at the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM which is a similar focal length to the kit lens but with a greater ap, IS and USM making it much higher quality. I don't know how well it performs for my needs though.

Any recommendations?

PS. I'd been looking at the 50mm f/1.8 II just as a general indoor lens in addition as it was so cheap! Good idea?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,491 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 08:30 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by greed View Post
PS. I'd been looking at the 50mm f/1.8 II just as a general indoor lens in addition as it was so cheap! Good idea?
I've got that lens and despite it price is big bang for the buck. Sharp as a tack.

Speaking of buck he recommended this lens and it's the next on on my list. You might consider one.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp
Account Disabled with 8,373 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 09:38 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by greed View Post
Hi, I'm considering getting a new lens for my 400D. Currently I have the kit lens and a 28 mm - 135 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS USM which is excellent and covers my outdoor/zoom lens requirements.

I'm now looking for a lens for use as a wide angle, indoor and has decent macro capabilities if one exists. USM/IS would be good. I'm not looking to spend an absolute fortune, I think about 600 would be my ideal limit so do go telling me to buy crazy 3000 L lenses!

I'd been looking at the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM which is a similar focal length to the kit lens but with a greater ap, IS and USM making it much higher quality. I don't know how well it performs for my needs though.

Any recommendations?

I can't speak for the Canon version, as I am a Nikon user... but assuming they're similiar ... if you get a good "sample" I really hate that word.. of it you will be very happy... as Guyzer said ...very sharp

As a side note... I never buy a camera body or lens online, even from the most reputable of dealers... more hassle than it's worth to return in my opinion...

I have three great pro camera dealers that are within an hour drive of me that have outstanding return policies if I should not like the "sample" or have a problem...
Computer Specs
Member with 316 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 12:55 PM #4
Yeh there is a professional camera shop in town I bought my last lens from who are good and keep sending me catalogs lol.

I think i will get the 50mm one deff then for just general useage. Still need to find if there is a better suited one for me than the 17-55mm one though... would idealy like a bit more of a wide angle option than 17mm, maybe like a 12-40mm length if such a lens exists?

29-Aug-2008, 01:35 PM #5
Here's the canon lineup

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=140 you

here's Sigma... if you get a good "sample" they make great lenses...

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all.asp

Don't rule out Tamron they make good lenses as well

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/wide_tele.asp

Last edited by buck52; 29-Aug-2008 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: speeling... ;)
Computer Specs
Member with 316 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 02:10 PM #6
i had a look at the sigma and tamron but nothing really stood out.

so far my shopping list is looking like this:
EF 50mm f/1.8 II
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM /EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

there shouldn't be much of a difference between ef-s and ef on a 400D right?

I saw some photos taken with the 60mm macro and they look stunning so will have to get it lol! Still struggling on the wide angle lens... both have similar lengths, just one is cheaper and lighter than the other but doesn't have IS which I find useful... though its very similar to the kit lens except better quality. AGH! what to do lol

29-Aug-2008, 02:52 PM #7
you may find the 60 a little short depending on what you shoot...

here's one I took with the Tamron 90... on a Nikon body
Attached Thumbnails
What lens?-shasta-daisy-alien.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 316 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 04:39 PM #8
I'm an architect so I will be using it for model photos mainly
Computer Specs
Member with 316 posts.

30-Aug-2008, 04:07 PM #9
Just bought the 60mm micro today in town, awesome quality! just took some random pictures, well impressive!
Computer Specs
Member with 11,491 posts.

30-Aug-2008, 07:11 PM #10
Looks like I'm a bit late but that's ok. I took these with my 50mm today just to give you a look-see.
Attached Thumbnails
What lens?-img_0014.jpg   What lens?-img_0015.jpg   What lens?-img_0016.jpg   What lens?-img_0023.jpg   What lens?-img_0026.jpg  

Computer Specs
Member with 316 posts.

31-Aug-2008, 04:29 AM #11
very nice, i'm still going to get the 50mm as it's so cheap. only reason i didn't get it yesterday was they didn't have one in stock lol.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!