Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer suddenly will not recognize camera or SD card

(!)

Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jan-2009, 07:01 AM #1
Question Solved: Computer suddenly will not recognize camera or SD card
I have an one year old HP pavilion with Vista 32 bit and a Canon A650 IS digital camera. I downloaded photos successfully for a year by just plugging the USB cable into the camera and computer. Then a couple months ago, the computer stopped recognizing the camera. I discovered though that the computer would recognize the SD card if I removed it from the camera and inserted it in the computer's onboard SD card reader. So that is what I've been doing...till today...now my computer will not recognize the SD card either. The SD card (transcend 8 GB) continues to work in my camera though, and I can scroll through the pictures I just took (and have been trying to load into my computer all morning!). I even installed Canon's Zoombrowser software off the original disk--doesn't recognize card or camera either. Checked for new drivers but none seem to be required. Tried two other USB ports--no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

richkuy
Senior Member with 353 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Jan-2009, 08:00 PM #2
I had this happen once. I used task manager to see what I had running and it showed 2 or three programs with picture downloaders running. I ended the processes and it worked fine
Just a suggestion
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jan-2009, 10:21 AM #3
i recommend installing drivers. i got similar problem with my cam. my computer recognizes it as removable drive and i can copy photos with no problems, but computer at my parents needed drivers to be installed.
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jan-2009, 11:09 AM #4
Solved...sort of. :-)
Here is what worked. Since my computer could recognize neither the camera or the SD card, on a whim I inserted the SD card in my Olympus LS-10 digital recorder. I then connected the recorder to my computer with a USB cord. Voila! My computer recognized the LS-10, and showed me two icons--one for the onboard storage inherent to the LS-10, and one for the SD-card. I selected, first Photshop Elements to read the card and then Windows Live Photo Gallery, . Both did so successfully and I downloaded my pics. So I guess I can continue to use my LS-10 as a 'card reader'. Still, the fact that my computer suddenly stopped recognizing first, my camera then later, my SD card (unless the card is in the LS-10), but will recognize the card within another device...is weird. Thank for your answers.

richkuy
Member with 70 posts.

Experience: Enough To Know When I Need Help
13-Jan-2009, 04:49 AM #5
This problem only happened to me when I forgot to use the "Unplug Or Eject Hardware" protocol if connecting my camera via USB cable, or double-clicking on "My Computer" and right-clicking the card reader's drive location to select "Eject" before removing the memory card from a reader.
As usual, a re-start fixed things, but only until the next time I screwed up.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!