Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Printer error "The Handle Is Invalid"

(!)

Member with 190 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Apr-2009, 07:00 PM #1
Solved: Printer error "The Handle Is Invalid"
I have a hp desktop and deskjet d1455. Windows update 2 weeks ago gave an optional update for hp deskjet printer. For a reason I don't know it failed to install and I opted not to try and reinstall. A couple of days ago, while using notepad, it would not print and gave the error "The Handle Is Invalid". I tried printing the same simple .txt document in wordpad and no error but still didn't print. (It did nothing the printer tray icon didn't open nothing happened) I went back to windows automatic update and got the optional hp update to install but it still give me the same error message. While reading up on it I found out a "handle" is how windows recognizes and differentiates printers but I could not figure out how to reassign a handle to my printer.
Member with 6,832 posts.

27-Apr-2009, 07:44 PM #2
I’ve never had Windows update mess with a printer, but I’ve had a Canon for the past few years. There are a couple of things you can try.

First use File > Print and make sure the HP printer is listed in the “Name” box. If it isn’t, click the triangle to the right of the Name box and select your printer. Make sure there is only one instance of your printer listed.

Start > Control Panel > Printers and Faxes. Click on your printer and make sure it is set as the default printer. (Printer > Set as Default should have a check next to it)

Go to HP.com and get the latest driver for your printer. It would probably be best to uninstall your current one – usually Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Then remove it from the printers list in Printers and Faxes. Then install according to HP’s instructions. It is often important whether the printer is plugged into the printer and turned on or not plugged in when you install the driver software.
Member with 190 posts.

06-May-2009, 02:45 PM #3
I tried to uninstall and reinstall all HP software and drivers associated with my printer. When reinstalling I got the following error. "The printer driver is not compatable with a policy enabled on this computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers" I tried to open group policy manager by typing in search box gpmc.msc but it just searches and never finds anything.
Member with 6,832 posts.

06-May-2009, 06:51 PM #4
Try the hardware forum.
Member with 190 posts.

06-May-2009, 08:59 PM #5
Got it fixed, HP appearently has issues with vista drivers but found the proper one on the website. Following the quick download links directs you to network drivers, had to download the non-network drivers burried on the site. Thanks for the feedback.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!