Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dual Monitors,Video Editing?

(!)

Alkison Alkison is offline Alkison has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 220 posts.

Experience: Intermediate/Learning
09-Jun-2009, 03:19 AM #1
Dual Monitors,Video Editing?
Hey I had a dual monitor setup for a while (22" Samsung's) and got it to use for video editing one Premiere Pro CS4. After a week I just really did not like the feel of it. So I returned them and got one 24" and have not been happier. I know dual monitors is more industry standard, but what I really want to know is, what am I missing out on?
Member with 6,832 posts.

10-Jun-2009, 01:12 PM #2
You evidently aren’t missing out on anything if you have used a dual monitor setup and prefer a single screen.

Dual monitors are great – almost necessary – if you follow a lot of tutorials. I have found that the best way to learn new techniques in various programs like Photoshop. And to learn to use programs you aren’t familiar with. If you can have the tutorial on one screen and execute it on the other it is quite painless compared to switching back and forth.

I also find it very handy for having source material on one screen and Word, Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign etc on the other.

I also like having all of the Photoshop tools on one screen and the image I’m working on full screen on the other. The history can run the full screen length and things like the navigation palette can be larger. But most of all the full screen image is easier for me as long as the tools are immediately available. I’ve never learned all the keyboard shortcuts, which is how I suppose most pros use the program.

And I often use it to compare specs. I find it easier to have both screens up at the same time.

You can probably do a lot of that with a large wide screen. My next computer system will have two wide screens – one around 20 inches and the other as large as I can afford.
Alkison Alkison is offline Alkison has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 220 posts.

Experience: Intermediate/Learning
10-Jun-2009, 07:15 PM #3
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably end up picking up another 24" at the end of summer.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jun-2009, 05:07 AM #4
I have a 22" Samsung and a 17".
What slipe said, and I also like to have another app like email or a different browser open in the second monitor.
I'm sure there are many other ideas as well.
Ziggy1 Ziggy1 is offline   Ziggy1 has a birthday soon! Ziggy1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 2,525 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jun-2009, 05:00 PM #5
I swear by Dual monitors, heck if I could get away with it I'd have 4

but check this out, I just found out about it this week, it is a cool tool that lets you split up your screen a lot easier and flexible than the simple Horizontal/Vertical Arrange from the windows options.... and with a 24 " monitor they will still be a good size!

check it out...very small (FREE) and quickdownload/install... WinSplit
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!