Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Viewing Photos Full-size On LG EnV2 Phone

(!)

Member with 70 posts.

Experience: Enough To Know When I Need Help
17-Jun-2009, 02:51 AM #1
Viewing Photos Full-size On LG EnV2 Phone
As a photographer it's very handy to be able to show people my pictures on a portable device, and since I now carry an LG EnV2 phone (which has a pretty good LCD screen) I was shocked that whenever I transferred my 800x600 pixel jpgs to the phone's microSD card (or the phone itself) they wouldn't display full-screen despite all attempts to adjust the phone's settings. My girlfriend discovered that using the phone's crop function would fix it, but at the expense of cropping my work.
I spent an entire afternoon working on this, editing my pics in Photoshop and IrfanView into every possible final resolution from the onboard camera's 1600x1200 resolution on down to 320x240, but the onscreen result was always the same--a small fraction of the available viewing space.

Google searches using all manner of criteria turned up nothing.

Then I realized that the few random pics that would display full-size onscreen had been run through a program that strips the exif data (camera settings) from the jpeg, so I tried using the 'Save For Web' protocol in Photoshop to do this to my photos and it worked every time.

I don't know if this is a problem with other brands of phones or the new EnV3 but according to my Verizon tech and other sources it's an annoying glitch with the EnV2, and the solution is to strip the exif data.

Hope this helps someone.

For a more complete write-up with pictures of the difference this makes, see this blog post:
EnV2 Problem

Last edited by kaktex; 17-Jun-2009 at 02:57 AM..
Member with 2,310 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jun-2009, 08:46 PM #2
The inner screen of the EnV2 phone is just 320 x 240 pixels. How do you expect to see 800x600 on a 320x240 screen?

If you zoom up the image, so that one picture pixel = one screen pixel, you are not going to see then entire picture (only a 320x240 portion of it).

If you show the entire 800x600 picture scaled down to fit the 320x240 screen then there will be some fuzziness involved.

I see where you mentioned that you re-sized your images down to 320x240, and yet your images were not full screen, that's weird. How about you post one of those 320x240 pictures here. I am thinking that what you think you did, and what really resulted are not the same. (Just guessing.) Otherwise it is a phone setting. Perhaps an EnV2 user here can tell you more.
Member with 6,832 posts.

24-Jun-2009, 10:56 AM #3
I have to strip the metadata from my images to load them on a camera I have. It is the first camera I’ve owned that is picky about anything but the DOS filename when putting photos back on the camera.

My guess about what is happening with your phone is that it uses the thumbnails in the metadata for display if they are available. Without the thumbnails available it uses the image.

It is just the opposite with the camera. The camera will not give me a thumbnail view using photos I reload without the metadata. That isn’t a big disadvantage because I don’t use the thumbs anyway.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
env2, full screen, jpg

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!