Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Using Picasa to recover deleted images?

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

25-Jun-2009, 05:40 PM #1
Using Picasa to recover deleted images?
So I'm trying to recover deleted images that have been deleted "permanently" in the recycle bin. After trying what seems like everything (programs that recover deleted files, programs that can recover corrupted jpgs after I finally recover the pictures), I opened Picasa 3 for kicks. My pictures were still "there"! I could view them in full size and everything (not just a thumbnail), but then after about fifteen seconds the pictures disappeared. After I was ready to rip the keyboard apart, I thought, maybe Picasa keeps copies of pictures somewhere, even after I deleted them? If you can offer any help, I'll appreciate it!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
25-Jun-2009, 06:49 PM #2
If you have lost files somewhere on your drive, the very first thing you need to do is shut off the machine. Every second it runs, and every click you make, makes more of those files get overwritten and unrecoverable.

If those files are important to you, you need to shut Windows down immediately, boot from a live CD that will run in RAM or put the drive in another machine to recover your files.

UBCD4Win

25-Jun-2009, 07:32 PM #3
Recovering the files via the regular method is a lost hope unfortunately. Most of the deleted files are corrupted now anyway. That's why my last hope is Picasa, solely due to the fact that I could access full-resolution copies of the images after they were permanently deleted on my computer.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
25-Jun-2009, 07:45 PM #4
The "regular" method would be what I described. No one would try to recover files from a drive they were using if they really wanted them back.

UBCD4Win can be booted and run recovery software. You lost more files just by responding to this post.

25-Jun-2009, 07:55 PM #5
Yeah, I know what you described was the regular method. That method doesn't work for me, as those pictures were deleted around four months ago and have been overwritten many many times by the computer. I'm not looking for any solutions regarding this "regular" method.

My last hope is through Picasa, only because I could access full-resolution, non-corrupted copies of the images that were clearly not the original images I deleted after they were permanently deleted from my hard disk.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jun-2009, 08:07 PM #6
It is my understanding, that the pictures you put into albums are stored on Picassa, I could be wrong though.
I hope you are able to save them
vicks
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jun-2009, 12:42 AM #7
That's an interesting phenomenon. Rt-click one of these images and select "Locate on disk" to see where they are.
Picasa doesn't copy any of your images-it's just a front end for Windows explorer. Have you uploaded any of these images to Picasa Web Gallery?
From Picasa Help:
"When you install Picasa, it scans your hard drive for folders containing image files and displays your photos from these folders. These folders, along with the albums you create, make up the organization of your photos.

Folders in Picasa represent actual folders on your computer's hard drive that contain photos. Changes you make to folders in Picasa affect the corresponding folders on your computer's hard drive. For example, deleting a photo from a folder also deletes the photo from your hard drive.

Albums, unlike folders, exist only in Picasa. You can create an album that contains combinations of photos from multiple folders. For example, you might create an album called 'Pictures with Grandma,' and include photos featuring Grandma housed in different folders. Unlike Picasa folders, your albums don't correspond to real folders on your hard drive. When you delete or move photos from an album, the original files remain in their original locations on your hard drive."
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!