Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo Formatting Error!-Scarred Stiff

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Oct-2009, 05:23 PM #1
Exclamation Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo Formatting Error!-Scarred Stiff
I am taking a deep breath....Okay, I just bought a 8GB Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo for my Sony Cybershot DSC-H50 abt 2 weeks ago.

Over the weekend I used this memory card to take all of my daughter's 1st birthday pictures. When I went to download them to my laptop to do thank you cards the laptop read " you must format this card before you can you use it"!

Then, when I went to read it again in my camera it said "Error Formatting Memory Stick"! Then there is a blinking (I think code) of C:13:01 next to the error msg. Oh My Goodness, can someone please tell me I can get my video/pictures.

I have tried connecting the camera to computer, reading memory card directly from PC & tried reading it on my Camera. Nothing is working! & when I pressed play button my camera it now shows 0 pictures! Please, please someone tell me I can fix this. I am frantic & don't know what happened bcz I know I can't get these memories back!

Please help me. Thank you everyone foryour time & help.
Senior Member with 1,275 posts.

05-Oct-2009, 05:46 PM #2
Member with 2,469 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Oct-2009, 09:51 AM #3
Is there any chance that you took the pictures without inserting the stick, and perhaps the pictures are on the cameras internal memory? Just for kicks try turning on the camera with no stick installed and try to preview in the camera. That H50 has about 15meg internal memory. I have 2 Sony cameras and about 6 different memory sticks and never had to format any before using it. If you absolutely cannot get the stick/camera/computer results take the stick and camera to a film store. Some of their equipment can sometimes resurect pictures from bad cards.
Member with 361 posts.

Experience: long live the 6502
06-Oct-2009, 10:06 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotbored View Post
If you absolutely cannot get the stick/camera/computer results take the stick and camera to a film store. Some of their equipment can sometimes resurect pictures from bad cards.
I suggested this to my wife's friend who had an SD card go nutty in Istanbul. So she took it to a shop in Santa Monica last week and they wanted a hundred bucks. I asked her to send the card to me and I would run ZAR on it, but she had already pitched it in the trash.

I sympathize with the store though. It took me some time to figure out the various recovery programs.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Oct-2009, 03:06 PM #5
I definitely had the card in the camera, I wish it was on internal memory. Ohheck, did you have experience using the above link http://www.piriform.com/recuva w/similiar experience? I was just wondering so I could feel a little more confident using it without fear of doing further damage. Thank you for the post.

Last edited by SM_6; 06-Oct-2009 at 03:11 PM..
Senior Member with 1,275 posts.

06-Oct-2009, 07:07 PM #6
recuva will scan the disk - if the files were on the disk and you haven't wrote to the disk since then, there's a pretty good chance it can recover some / all of then. Besides, recuva is free!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!