Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PS CS3 used to work great, now it's slow. Why?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Apr-2010, 12:25 PM #1
PS CS3 used to work great, now it's slow. Why?
I have been using photoshop cs3 for about 2 years on my current computer. About a month ago, it started running more slowly. When I crop, save a jpg or png file, or run certain actions, it used to take just a few seconds for the process to happen. Now a green progress bar appears and it quickly gets to the halfway point but takes a few minutes to complete the process. I can't figure out why.

Last night I downloaded anti-spyware and anti-malware programs and ran them. I had used up most of my hard drive storing photos, but a month ago I got an external drive and removed most of them so I now have 56.8 GB free on my C drive. I scanned my disk and defragmented last night as well. My computer does seem faster overall since doing all of that, but it didn't change the problem in CS3.

I found an old thread on here that said to change preferences in photoshop to increase the RAM that photoshop can use. I set mine at the maximum number of the desired range.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for whatever you may be able to offer.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,218 posts.

29-Apr-2010, 12:50 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama View Post
Wow! I think I just figured out how to solve my problem with my slow-running cs3.
How ???
I couldn't think of anything to tell you ..

And welcome to the TSG Forum
Computer Specs

29-Apr-2010, 01:26 PM #3
Thanks. Maybe if I uninstall it and reinstall it? I don't really want to do it if I don't have to, but maybe?

I found one of your posts that I really think would fix it...at a price. I just need CS5!
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

29-Apr-2010, 01:40 PM #4
Let's try something ...

Turn your computer OFF.
Unplug the power cord from the wall ..
Press n Hold the power switch for about 15 seconds.
Plug it back in and Boot it.

When It's running again ..
Hold down all three Ctrl+Alt+Shift buttons
While keeping those button held ... open Photoshop or a file that opens with Photoshop
As Photoshop loads, you should get a prompt asking if you would like to "delete the Photoshop settings file",
Click Yes ..

Let me know so I can uncross my fingers
Computer Specs

29-Apr-2010, 06:53 PM #5
Thank you so much for your reply. I tried this and instead of a prompt to delete the Photoshop settings file, I got a box that pops up "Adobe Photoshop CS3 Properties". It has tabs (Security, Details, Previous Versions, General, Shortcut, and Compatibility) and opened on the Shortcut tab. I looked under all of the tabs, but there was no reference to "photoshop settings file" that I could find. Under previous versions, there are no previous versions. Thank you again for trying to help me with this.
Computer Specs

29-Apr-2010, 07:19 PM #6
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT ... And open a picture in Photoshop ..
You should see this ... or this ...
Attached Thumbnails
PS CS3 used to work great, now it's slow.  Why?-clipboard.gif   PS CS3 used to work great, now it's slow.  Why?-clipboard2.gif  
Computer Specs

29-Apr-2010, 09:06 PM #7
Mine must be really screwed up. I hold down Ctrl, Alt, and Shift while trying to open a jpg, and it won't open. Nothing happens. Actually, it flashes a message of some sort in the box that has all of the jpg thumbnails that I am picking from, but it's so fast I can't read it all. It does not look like what you posted. So then I try to click on open and quickly press Ctrl, Alt, and Shift simultaneously, and it just opens the jpg anyway. I thought maybe that had something to do with my preference being set for my jpg files to open in camera raw, so I went into Adobe Bridge and changed my preference there so that now my jpg files just open in photoshop without opening camera raw, but it made no difference. Am I doing it right? I need to hold down ctrl, alt, and shift all at the same time and try to open a jpg or other photoshop file? This is so frustrating. Thank you for helping me. I truly do appreciate it.
Computer Specs

29-Apr-2010, 09:11 PM #8
Can you open Photoshop directly without opening a picture ???
And don't do it in the Bridge.

Am I doing it right? I need to hold down ctrl, alt, and shift all at the same time and try to open a jpg or other photoshop file
Correct .. try something other than a jpeg also
Computer Specs

29-Apr-2010, 10:17 PM #9
I click on the PS icon to open photoshop, and bridge is not set to automatically open. Then I click file>open in photoshop. I will try to open other photoshop files. Be right back.
Computer Specs

29-Apr-2010, 10:31 PM #10
I tried it again, many times, with bridge closed. If I click on open and get a box of thumbnails, then pick one and click the open button, it flashes a message (something with x and y and numbers) and then nothing happens. If I click file>open recent> and pick a file off the list (doesn't seem to matter if it's a jpg, psd, or png file), the file just opens as if ctrl alt shift weren't being held down.

I think I'm going to resort to uninstalling and reinstalling it. I looked for my actions folder on my c drive under program files>adobe>adobe photoshop cs3>presets>actions. I found a folder, but I don't recognize any of the things in there as names of actions I have. I wrote a few actions myself, nothing very complicated that I couldn't do again, but if I could find these and save them someplace that'd be easier. Any ideas where those could be found? Thank you again for all of your assistance.

I listed myself as a beginner, and that's really where I am with computers. It is amazing what someone with so little computer knowledge can do when there are people like you who will answer questions and post things online. I can be a complete idiot who just knows how to google and follow some directions, and I can get pretty far with that. Thanks again.
Computer Specs

29-Apr-2010, 10:41 PM #11
I think I found the answer about my actions. I figured out how to save the sets of actions from photoshop into another folder on my computer. Now I just need to uninstall and reinstall it. Thank you again for all of your help.
Computer Specs

30-Apr-2010, 12:24 AM #12
Arrrgh!!! I uninstalled photoshop completely. Now I'm trying to reinstall it. I have the original disk and all of the packaging that came with it when I bought it. It is not asking me for any serial number or anything like that. It installs only one part, and says it has a failure for installing CS3. Why? I've attempted to install it 3 times after uninstalling everything there before each attempt.
Attached Thumbnails
PS CS3 used to work great, now it's slow.  Why?-cs3-failure.jpg  
Computer Specs

30-Apr-2010, 09:18 AM #13
Do you have your Dell Vista recovery DVDs ????

While waiting on someone with a better idea to stop by ..
I might suggest .. Get a copy of HDTune Free ..
and run an Error Test on the HDD ... This may take several hours.
Computer Specs

30-Apr-2010, 10:48 AM #14
Yes. I have all of the CD/DVDs that came with my computer.

I'll try the HDTune error test. But first I'm going to get any important files off in case I really mess it up.

Thanks. I really appreciate all of your help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-May-2010, 07:07 PM #15
Hi Busymama,

I had the same problem with PS CS3 slowing to a crawl. What I found is that I had installed another hard drive earlier to archive photos and such and I changed the Scratch Drive under Photoshop Preferences to the new drive thinking Photshop would have all the room in the world for scratch purposes.

I later found that the new drive was defective and was running incredibly slow. This slowed down PS when it went to read or write on the scratch drive. I changed the scratch drive back to the C: drive and PS started running like a champ again.

I hope this helps some. Good luck with your reinstallation. I wish I had some wisdom on that but I just don't. Sorry.

Chuck Cannova
www.socalimages.com
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
photoshop cs3

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!