Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Photoshop CS3 Invert Selection Issue

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

04-May-2010, 01:34 AM #1
Solved: Photoshop CS3 Invert Selection Issue
Hello. First off I'm not especially savvy with CS3. In the past I've always taken a picture, used Select - All and then clicked Select - Inverse in order to get rid of simple backgrounds. It selects all fine but once I click inverse I get - Warning: No pixels selected.

The pic is a .jpg (have tried on several). Obviously I've screwed something up somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

(off to bed will check back in the a.m.)

Thanks!
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,218 posts.

04-May-2010, 06:41 AM #2
The inverse of Select All .. is Select None ..
It's doing what your telling it to do ... Then warning you that nothing is selected.

You'll have to use another method to remove just the background .. Which may not be that easy.
Hopefully, This will be a little clearer when you wake up refreshed

Don't be embarrassed .. We've all done it
It might help if you attached a sample picture ... So we can advise the best method to remove the Background

And Welcome to the TSG Forum

Last edited by Noyb; 04-May-2010 at 07:40 AM..

04-May-2010, 11:48 AM #3
Thanks for the welcome and info Noyb. If I got embarrassed every time I had to ask a stupid question - well I'd be embarrassed a lot

Sleep is a great cure for things like this. I realized I need to use the magic tool on the background - not just select all. Good thing I'm ok with looking silly

Thanks again!!
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

04-May-2010, 12:48 PM #4
Good Morning ! .. Now we can get serious

Magic wand only works in some applications for your background erasing application.

I usually select the layer and press .. CTRL+J ... This will make a new layer with a copy.
Then start erasing what I don't want.

If you know the keyboard Shortcuts .. This is pretty easy,
I Start erasing large .. then work in with a smaller bush for the finished picture.

The Bracket keys ... [ ] ... Increase or decrease the brush size.
Click .. then ... Shift click .. will connect the clicks .. and continue with shift clicks.

To increase the accuracy of my cuts .. I zoom in with the scroll wheel.
Then .. at any time .. I can press n hold the space bar .. this will callup the hand tool where i can reposition my work.
when the space bar is released .. you will return to what you were doing.

I also have a set of customized Brushes .. various sizes of Soft/Hard and Round/Square that helps.
Want a copy ??

Then, I usually grab the magic wand .. select the erased part (non-continuous) ..
Expand and Feather the selection then erase again.

This cleans up the edges of your cuts

Last edited by Noyb; 04-May-2010 at 01:01 PM..

04-May-2010, 01:35 PM #5
Holy smoke! I knew some of that but had no idea about shortcuts (checking into those as we speak) or feathering.

I've taken out a lot of backgrounds the hard way. I'm a small retailer and I can't tell you the number of stock photos that have ugly backgrounds. Some I've never been able to remove (lack of know-how) but I will definitely try your methods.

I do have some brushes, mostly for the fun side of things but am lacking in the type you speak of. I would love to have a copy if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks again!!
Computer Specs

04-May-2010, 01:41 PM #6
To Install these additional brush selections ...
COPY the file .. My Brushes.abr .... in the attached zip
and PASTE it in the folder .. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop **\Presets\Brushes.

Shortcuts are my Buddy ... My left hand is usually as busy as my Mouse hand
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Photoshop CS3 Invert Selection Issue-see-me.jpg  
Computer Specs

04-May-2010, 02:03 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabods View Post
...mostly for the fun side of things...
Speaking of fun stuff ...
Some of my "Fun Stuff" needs Speech Balloons Custom Shapes .. Attached if you want them.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Photoshop CS3 Invert Selection Issue-brake.jpg  

04-May-2010, 02:23 PM #8
I feel like I hit the jackpot! Brushes for the business side of things and fun stuff too

Thanks - I really appreciate it!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cs3, invert selection, no pixels, photoshop

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!