Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Canon Powershot sx10is Lens options?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 354 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Aug-2010, 11:14 PM #1
Canon Powershot sx10is Lens options?
I would love to purchase another lens for my Canon Powershot sx10is but I cannot seem to find one that is trust worthy. Price is not an object so please post any findings. Please avoid Ebay, I have already searched there, and I have found things, just not trust worthy things. Thanks.
Member with 361 posts.

Experience: long live the 6502
22-Aug-2010, 12:31 AM #2
Your Canon already shoots an effective 28-560 mm equivalent, which is pretty good, but I can understand it if you want to go more wide angle, or add macro capability. You're not talking about another lens, but a lens adapter, a piece of glass that attaches to the front of your sx10is lens and bends the optic path trying to either give you less (wide angle) or more (telephoto) magnifications.

Often, they will sell you wide angle and zoom adapters designed for video cameras. If these had smaller diameter lenses than your Canon, they won't pass enough light and you get dark edges (called vignetting) at the edges of your image. Also, it is difficult to make a generic adapter that fits all lenses and doesn't introduce distortion and color shifts.

Anyway, if you want to experiment, get a filter adapter for your Canon. Here;s one link. Close up adapters are available from them, and they might meet your needs.
http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sx10sx1.html
Computer Specs
Member with 354 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Aug-2010, 09:39 AM #3
I was looking at that lens adapter last night, is that trust worthy? Have you bought from it?
Member with 361 posts.

Experience: long live the 6502
23-Aug-2010, 01:24 AM #4
I didn't throw in my real opinion on these kind of adapters in my first reply. The adapter itself is just a mechanical ring that is a force fit on your Canon and has threads for filters/adapters/add-on-lenses. Polarizers and filters are useful and with experience, can help you get a better exposure when conditions are tricky. Add-on lenses are junk. Doesn't matter if you are newbie or expert. Still junk.

Your Canon already has a 20X zoom, a reasonable 28mm wide angle and macro/super-macro.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!