Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

32 GB micro sd HC showing just 10 GB

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

17-Oct-2010, 11:29 AM #1
32 GB micro sd HC showing just 10 GB
Hi
i just bought 32GB micro sd HC card and my pc and my phone showing just something more then 10GB.i was trying to format the card in FAT,FAT32,NTFS and exFAT and nothing helps.Still showing 10GB.
Anyone any ideas what could cause the problem???
any ideas are very welcome
Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Oct-2010, 09:04 PM #2
Does it have any partitions? Look in Disk Management.
It may be that it's a mis-labeled 10 GB card.
Junior Member with 29 posts.

17-Oct-2010, 10:23 PM #3
also, is it showing 10gb in the computer, or just phone? my phone only supports 6 gb so i cannot see all of my 8gb card. if its showing just 10 in computer, ignore this comment. Actually, delete it...

21-Oct-2010, 03:39 AM #4
hi thanks for replys.
the card is showing 10gb in my phone and in my pc as well.
im busy at the moment so ill have a look on that on saturday.ill try the disk managment and see whats going on there.
ill come back with more info over the weekend
Thanks guys

23-Oct-2010, 08:35 AM #5
Hi im back with so informations.
so i checked the card in disk manager and indeed there are 2 partitions.
one of them is the mentioned 10 GB and the other one is unallocated 20 something GB.
soo my question is how to delete this partition?i was trying to do that using disk manager but no sucsses.
any good program for that?
Thank you
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

23-Oct-2010, 02:59 PM #6
after taking everything off the card, Just use disk manager and right click and delete both partitions, then it should combine them to give you 1 large unformatted partition, then try formatting it in the camera options
Senior Member with 896 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Oct-2010, 04:46 PM #7
If you still have problems, use a program like gparted and reformat the flash drive.

after that, save enough data to fill it then check by randomly opening files if all of the data is still there.

some counterfeit sd cards will be a small size but they simply enter in a large size for the partition table in hopes of tricking the device and computer into thinking it is a large drive but when you exceed the true storage of the drive, all new data simply randomly overwrites random cells of data in the drive causing the data to corrupt.

also counterfeit sd cards have gotten better at looking genuine. when I purchased a 4GB sandisk ultra from the amazon.com marketplace, I got a fake card, when I sent pictures to sandisk (since the seller refused to take them back and give me a refund because they insisted they were genuine, I sent them off to sandisk and only upon taking it apart and testing the individual chips 9which also had the sandisk logo and model numbers, did they find out that they were not genuine and then I was able to get a refund. Criminals are getting better at making real looking fakes. When ever you buy a sd card, look at reviews to find out it's true read and write speeds, then benchmark the card you purchased.

anyway, to reformat your sd card, you first need at least a 1GB flash drive. install ubuntu to the flash drive, then boot into it

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

after that, using gparted in ubuntu, reformat your flash drive.

Last edited by inuyasha320; 24-Oct-2010 at 04:51 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!