Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Digital Photography & Imaging Digital Photography & Imaging
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

disk error...may be full or read-only

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 67 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Nov-2010, 09:52 PM #1
disk error...may be full or read-only
I copied my photos to a DVD from my old Gateway Vista 64 bit computer and using the DVDs, copied them to my new Mac. Now, when I try to edit them in Picasa, I get the following message:
"Unable to write redeye due to a disk error. The disk may be full or read-only."
In looking online and in the Picasa help files, I find that many people have had this problem both on Macs and PCs. I have tried changing my permissions which was recommended on most forums, but with no change in the problem.

Should add that the newly transferred photos are the only ones I have a problem with. Photos that I transferred using Dropbox, edit and save with no problems.

Would appreciate any suggestions to fix this.
PEM

Last edited by PE_Mac; 07-Nov-2010 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: added info
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
07-Nov-2010, 10:28 PM #2
Where are the photos located when you try to edit them? They can't be edited on DVD, obviously, because they are read-only on DVD and can't be changed in any way. If you have copied them to a folder on the hard drive, check to see if they are still read-only.

If that doesn't work, they may be "in use" by some other program that you have. Look through (or search) OpenedFilesView to see if the file is opened by another app.
Computer Specs
Member with 67 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Nov-2010, 02:26 PM #3
Unless I'm reading it wrong, OpenedFilesView is only for Windows. Is there a way to view multiple permission settings on my Mac? I found, online, how to change permissions on multiple files, but when I tried, it said I had mixed access and wouldn't let me do anything. I have a full DVDs worth of photos so doing them 1 at a time is way too slow.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!