Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help me fix my Akai 54"

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-May-2012, 12:58 AM #1
Help me fix my Akai 54"
Hello everybody, I'm new here - hopefully you can help me solve my problem so I don't have to call up geek squad & spend $150 for them to come out and fix my TV.

Anyway, I've had my TV for a little under 10 years(since 2003) and am very satisfied with it; in the long run it'll be a lot more efficient to fix it instead of getting a new TV.

Here are its basic specs for your convenience:

-Akai 54" rear projection TV
-1080i HD
-Manufactured in 2003
-Void warranty(which is why I'm attempting to fix it myself)

The only problem I've had in the past is the CRT bulb blew out, so we replaced that; otherwise, it has been an absolute beauty to enjoy. My problem that I come to you with is screen discoloration. To be more specific, a transfer of color and what appears to be "ghosting" (not image burn) on the screen. It has been gradual and progressive, and in the following screenshot of a PS3 in action you can see almost half of the text "ghosted" directly next to it in blue, and the rest of the image overexposed with yellow. My guess is something is out of allignment, causing the blue to shift out of position - however, I'm not sure what that could be, and that, my friends, is why I have come to you!

Here you go:

http://oi49.tinypic.com/wt9ml5.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Member with 46 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
06-May-2012, 12:02 AM #2
This is a common problem. Its called a convergence failure. You will need to replace the convergence chips and possibly some convergence resistors and pico fuses. This is a a fairly easy DIY job if you know what you are doing. If you have never done this before I would advise calling a shop or if you want to do it yourself get a complete kit with instructions and support from TvRepairKits.com. Their kits include a step by step instruction guide, original OEM Sanyo STK chips, convergence resistors, pico fuses, thermal paste, email/phone support, etc.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
akai, crt, discoloration, screen, television

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!