Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

magicjack- plus, phone service

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-May-2012, 08:22 PM #1
magicjack- plus, phone service
Magazine & TV ads make this seem too good to be true. I heard that some love it and some are not happy with it. I see that you must have an Internet connection but it can supposedly be used with or without being hooked up directly to a computer. I do NOT have Cable or a Dish & am very happy with an attic installed antenna for TV. I see that AT&T offers a stand alone (no phone service required) Internet connection for $14.95 mo. & wonder if they also offer a higher speed, stand alone, DSL connection for an increased price?
What are the pros & cons for the magicjack- plus, service??
Member with 53 posts.

20-May-2012, 12:10 AM #2
I have seen it used handful of times and the users were happy with it. One customer ran his whole business off of magic jacks and was very happy. I think he even hooked it up to a phone system.

I tried using it for fax once and it did not work.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

20-May-2012, 10:35 AM #3
You definitely need an internet connection, but you do not need to leave it connected to a computer. You need at least 128kbps upload speed, but more is better.

Yes, people either love it or hate it because it's entirely dependent on the quality of your internet connection and whether or not you have any problems. It's cheap because they don't pay a building full of American tech support engineers to answer every customer service issue. If you have a problem, you'll maybe get help through e-mail or a forum.

And, obviously, if the internet connection ever goes down, the MagicJack service goes with it so you should have a cell phone to use as a backup.
Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Jun-2012, 05:15 PM #4
have magic jack plus, need router to hook to,we have wifi, we like it BUT when we go on xbox live & netflicks we lose the connection
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!