Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

seatbelts don't pull out

(!)

Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jul-2012, 03:58 PM #16
Quote:
your post wowser

So I'm riding my motorcycle with my helmet on, and get flattened by some dope texting...
How soon they forget!!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 05:27 PM #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probie007 View Post
How soon they forget!!
Who...... I don't get your point/post...

Where is the "him" used in my post? IF that's what you're refering to.
Member with 23 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 05:48 PM #18
I was refering to the fact that some dope was texting and ran into you on your motorcycle.... maybe he was doing something other than texting. After all we were discussing the stupud laws in various countries and the fact that people are forced into doing/ or viewing things they do not think is right without a choice of thier own. So does it really matter if its "him, her or some dope"???
Computer Specs
Member with 1,598 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 05:58 PM #19
Quote:
the fact that people are forced into doing/ or viewing things they do not think is right without a choice of thier own.
No comment. wrong forum for this to go any further...

Last edited by wowzer; 07-Jul-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Member with 2,391 posts.

14-Jul-2012, 10:26 PM #20
post # 5:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probie007 View Post
Hi I am a certified traffic accident investigator and reconstructionist. I suggest you perform a small test on your seat belt if you are having problems with them.

Sit in the car grab the shoulder belt at about shoulder height and jerk on it... do this 5-6 times. It shoud lock each time you perform this test. If it doesn't lock then have it checked out by a qualified dealer or service tech. You need this to work to save your life.
Probie007
just for edification -
for someone who is a "certified traffic accident investigator and reconstructionist" - i would take exception to your explanation of how to test seat belts -
- "yanking" on the belt, no matter how hard - will accomplish absolutely nothing!!!
it is done by a force called "inertia"

- and newer vehicles also have what is called a "Pretensioner" - which is also explained on the pages i have supplied the links to, with pictures even
- and really new vehicles, the last 2 to 3 years, also have some other integrated features

All About Seat Belts / The Wonder of Seat Belts
http://www.takata.com/en/around/seatbelt03.html
Quote:
When the brakes are applied sharply or when the car is impacting something, the vehicle may be stopped, but due to inertia, the passengers motion will keep moving forward. Seat belts can help restrain that motion. Inside, the retractor has a silver-colored bead that is slightly larger than a ball bearing. The movement of the ball due to the vehicle deceleration that is occurring (either brake application or vehicle impact), results in an actuator moving up to lock the spool rotation, locking of the seat belts...
How Seat Belts Work
http://www.takata.com/en/around/seatbelt01.html

this also is informative:
Precrash system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precrash_system

whole lot more information here:
Category:Automotive safety technologies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...y_technologies

and while i'm on the subject, a question,
have any of you seen what happens to the human body when you are involved in a frontal collision and are "lying-down-driving" [the back-rest laid back so far one can hardly see over the dash-board]
OR
someone with their feet on the dashboard and involved in a frontal collision???
- same consequences
sure isn't pretty - might be something to think about....
Member with 23 posts.

15-Jul-2012, 08:31 AM #21
inertia (-nrsh)

The resistance of a body to changes in its momentum. Because of inertia, a body at rest remains at rest, and a body in motion continues moving in a straight line and at a constant speed, unless a force is applied to it. Mass can be considered a measure of a body's inertia.

The resistance your body places on the seatbelt as you move forward is what makes it work, the same effect is accomplished by the process I mentioned.

That said maybe you should read a book published by JF Michell CD Actar called International Guide Book for Traffic Accident Reconstruction or even Guide to Accident Reconstruction by Jack Murray, CLI, DFE, PhD and JAy Murray, JD. or even papers published with NHTSA.

As far as this subject goes... I consider it closed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!