Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Unexplained Phenomenon - Internet/Phone Use Simultaneously

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 261 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 03:58 PM #1
Solved: Unexplained Phenomenon - Internet/Phone Use Simultaneously
I used to be comcast and all was good. I had bundled service with them, phone/internet/cable tv.

When I was on the phone and internet, nothing was delayed, service as usual, no problems whatsoever.

That was then.

Now, I have Century Link and I have phone and internet bundled with them.

Noticing since March, that when computer is on and I get on the phone, I LOSE MY INTERNET SERVICE ALTOGETHER until I hang up the phone, then it takes few minutes to restore service to the internet.

I called 2x and 2x they told me to get a PHONE FILTER, whatever that is. I "never" needed one when I was with Comcast. I don't want to invest in one not knowing what it is, or if it will be of any help.

I know that I quit Comcast because of their exhorbitant fees but am beginning to think that you really get what you pay for. I had great internet/phone service with them but was cutting cost that is why I got rid of them.

Can someone explain this, it is bugging me but Thank God I 'm not on the phone a lot.

Thank you.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-Jul-2012, 04:03 PM #2
What kind of connection do you have? If DSL, it needs filters no matter who the supplier. Was there a change in the connection type?
Computer Specs
Member with 261 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 05:33 PM #3
I'm not sure about the connection. All I know is that when I had Comcast, I never had any problem with phone and internet use.

Problem was only when I switched to CenturyLink, perhaps that's DSL but not sure. I am saving money, that's for sure, but I miss the quality of Comcast service. I suspect CenturyLink is operating out of a phone line and Comcast is operating out of cable line? I really don't know if there is a difference.

I have them for 1 year contract then I have to decide what to do next.

Thank you.
Member with 45 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
30-Jul-2012, 12:16 AM #4
Centurylink is DSL, their Internet is not the best, I had it for 5 years in Colorado. When they installed your DSL modem they should have left you the phone filters as they (2) are included in the box with the modem. They aren't expensive a couple bucks at Rat Shack, just plug them in to where the phone plugs in and then plug your phone line into the filter should cure your problem
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!