Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Fridge troubles - HELP!!!!

(!)

katonca has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 13,649 posts.

11-Jul-2006, 02:22 PM #1
Fridge troubles - HELP!!!!
I've got a @ 15 year old GE 15.5 cubic frost free refrigerator/freezer with some issues. The fridge isn't keeping foods properly cold or solidly frozen.

I've got the temp turned all the way up in both compartments. The fridge temp is 40 degrees and the freezer is 31. The compressor does turn on but I'm not sure if it is turning on at a "normal" rate. I've cleaned the coils under the machine and inspected/cleaned the door seals. The seals are in good condition.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for any advice.
Memnoch322 Memnoch322 is offline Memnoch322 has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 880 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2006, 03:09 PM #2
My landlord just spent like 200 bucks fixing our fridge... It wa s doing the same thing. Wouldnt stay cold and the freezer keep getting warm and all the ice would melt n stuff. I dunno sounds like its time for a new one to me.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,375 posts.

11-Jul-2006, 04:07 PM #3
If a fridge is older than 10 years it's time to replace it once it starts to give out. 15 years is quite a good service record...imo.
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2006, 04:42 PM #4
Thanks for the advice. I guess it's time. Too many financial probs right now.
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2006, 05:19 PM #5
Two things I just remembered. I'm sure it's level but you might want to double check. If the temp. is quite hot in your neck of the woods it will play havoc on an older unit.
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2006, 11:00 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpy369
Two things I just remembered. I'm sure it's level but you might want to double check. If the temp. is quite hot in your neck of the woods it will play havoc on an older unit.
That's something I didn't check, thanks.

One other thing. The warmer it is in the room the warmer the compartments become. I naturally thought it would be a door seal prob but I checked them and they are in good shape and now cleaned. And there isn't any condensation on the outside of the fridge.
Computer Specs

11-Jul-2006, 11:11 PM #7
Wait for a cooler day and see if the inside temp drops in the fridge. I have had that happen to an older fridge but it kept on working. Even now with a new fridge I noticed a bit of a change between hot/warm and cool days. Something else we do during hot periods is make sure we don't keep to much stuff in the fridge. It just makes it work that much harder. ( it's just the 2 of us in the house so it's easy ) I'm by no means an expert just throwing ideas.

I hanger some of my aircraft shots HERE
Member with 17,584 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 01:54 AM #8
Sounds also a bit like it may be low on refrigerant gas, the efficiency of the whole unit has dropped off.

Usually indicates a real problem, the gas does not just disappear without a seal problem in the compressor or a leak, which often means a new compressor, which may be uneconomic for a fridge of that age.
Member with 43,651 posts.

12-Jul-2006, 02:40 AM #9
It doesn't hurt to clean everything. Including the seals. And, when your volumn gets low,
then empty out the fridge and dry it out...The automatic cleaners work well, but, there's
nothing like starting out fresh...
Computer Specs

12-Jul-2006, 12:49 PM #10
Thanks for the input. The fridge does chill much better on cooler days and less on warm days.

12-Jul-2006, 09:13 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by katonca
Thanks for the input. The fridge does chill much better on cooler days and less on warm days.
Does the fridge cycle on and off in the usual manner?

Have you considered my post above that if it has lost some refrigerant gas it will be unable to cope, as it will be quite inefficient?
Computer Specs

13-Jul-2006, 12:04 AM #12
I don't believe it is cycling normally. As far as loosing refrigerant, I guess that is most probable but if it has and a new compressor is in need, I'll buy a new fridge.

How about beating on the compressor a few times with a hammer....any help...or just satisfying my need to release anger?

13-Jul-2006, 08:11 AM #13
I would agree, that at the age a new fridge would be indicated over just a compressor replacement.

Beating on the compressor may make you feel better but will not help the fridge.

Low refrigerant gas can cause more frequent cycling in some cases.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,683 posts.

Experience: Death & Taxes
17-Jul-2006, 08:09 AM #14
check inside the freezer compartment and see if there's ice built-up on the back wall.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!