Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Closet Door Won't Open. Knob is old and Wont Turn. Help Please!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3,060 posts.

18-Nov-2006, 02:15 AM #1
Closet Door Won't Open. Knob is old and Wont Turn. Help Please!
Hello, I'll get right to the point. The bolt that functions as the lock, won't retract. I can't get the knob to turn. Door won't open. I thought about removing the hinges, but the screws are in the inside, and the hinge itself is self-contained so I can't remove the bolt that keeps the two parts of the hinge attach to each other. How can I either open the door or remove it without an ax?

Thank You.
Computer Specs
Member with 56,093 posts.

18-Nov-2006, 04:17 AM #2
You sure that there are no pins in the door hinge?

How about some picture of what your taking about.
Member with 32 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Nov-2006, 04:58 AM #3
Have you tried WD40 or anything like this?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Nov-2006, 11:20 AM #4
Have you tried slipping a thin piece of metal in and pushing the latch in? Think all the movies where they do it with a credit card.

I'm with hewee, not many doors around that don't have pins holding the hinges together.
Member with 18,285 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Nov-2006, 04:59 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
Have you tried slipping a thin piece of metal in and pushing the latch in? Think all the movies where they do it with a credit card.

I'm with hewee, not many doors around that don't have pins holding the hinges together.
some cheap hinges have non-removable pins

in a lot of older homes, the hinges have been painted, tho, and the pins only seem non-removable....have you taken a screwdriver and a hammer and tried and knock the pin upward out of the barrel, jonasdatum?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,060 posts.

19-Nov-2006, 08:37 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iltos
some cheap hinges have non-removable pins

in a lot of older homes, the hinges have been painted, tho, and the pins only seem non-removable....have you taken a screwdriver and a hammer and tried and knock the pin upward out of the barrel, jonasdatum?
LOL that was common sense...I tried it with one door already, and success. However, the door in question is incrusted with paint and my home was constructed about 50 years ago (if not longer). I already removed the top pin from the door in question. However, because of it's position the bottom pin will prove more difficult.

I am going to try to buy some paint remover to put on the hinges. If all else fails I'll buy a hatchet or an ax and cut the dang thing apart!

....Just wait until you see my other maintenance and repair projects . I'll update you guys as the updateds proliferate.

Last edited by jonasdatum; 19-Nov-2006 at 09:26 AM..

19-Nov-2006, 10:20 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasdatum
LOL that was common sense...I tried it with one door already, and success. However, the door in question is incrusted with paint and my home was constructed about 50 years ago (if not longer). I already removed the top pin from the door in question. However, because of it's position the bottom pin will prove more difficult.

I am going to try to buy some paint remover to put on the hinges. If all else fails I'll buy a hatchet or an ax and cut the dang thing apart!

....Just wait until you see my other maintenance and repair projects . I'll update you guys as the updateds proliferate.
don't be afraid to use your hammer and your screwdriver to wack away at the paint...you'll get to a point where the pin will come free....may take a short handled screw driver or another "misused" tool (nailset) to get the angle that you need, tho.

after getting rid of some of the paint, try a pair of plyers to a/rotate the pin (free it up more from the barrel) and/or b/you made need another hand, but grasp the head of the pin (with the plyers horizontal, and use the side of the hammer (i'm assuming you've limited space between the floor and the hinge) to knock the pin up.

paint remover is ghastly, messy stuff
Computer Specs
Member with 3,060 posts.

19-Nov-2006, 10:50 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iltos
don't be afraid to use your hammer and your screwdriver to wack away at the paint...you'll get to a point where the pin will come free....may take a short handled screw driver or another "misused" tool (nailset) to get the angle that you need, tho.

after getting rid of some of the paint, try a pair of plyers to a/rotate the pin (free it up more from the barrel) and/or b/you made need another hand, but grasp the head of the pin (with the plyers horizontal, and use the side of the hammer (i'm assuming you've limited space between the floor and the hinge) to knock the pin up.

paint remover is ghastly, messy stuff
LOL, got the door off about 10mins ago. Had do damage the lower portion of the door because that ghastly 20+ years worth of paint keeping the hinge attached [w/o the pin]. Did all that, Common sense, but thanks. Now I have slightly new issues with the door. I want to remove the old hinge bases in the wall, but they are old school and I might have to use them with new ones. This will require photographs, so I'll have to get back to you guys. I have to get my old (5 years) digital camera. Don't think they make door hinges like these anymore? Might have to remove the hinges that are on the old door and put them on the new door.

Also, I have to remove the locking device from the door itself. It's hard as heck, but not impossible.

Last edited by jonasdatum; 19-Nov-2006 at 07:43 PM..
Computer Specs

19-Nov-2006, 11:06 AM #9
If you're replacing the door, it's normally pretty easy to route out new recesses for new hinges.

19-Nov-2006, 11:53 AM #10
Quote:
LOL, got the door off about 10mins ago. Had do damage the lower portion of the door because that ghastly 20+ years worth of paint keeping the hinge attached [w/o the pin]. Did all that, Common sense, but thanks. Now I have slightly new issues with the door. I want to remove the old hinge bases in the wall, but they are old school and I might have to use them with new ones. This will require photographs, so I'll have to get back to you guys. I have to get my old (5 years) digital camera. Don't think they make door hinges like these anymore? Might have to wall mounted portions and remove the door portions of the hinges!?
i'm not exactly sure i understand....but the screwdriver and hammer are still your friend....look closely at the butts (hinges) that are in the wall....if the paint is so thick that you can't see the screws, knock some paint off- expose the head of the screw....use the blade of the screwdriver and your hammer to clear the paint out of the slot in the screw -you'll have to come at from both ends of the slot...the goal is to provide a clear slot for the screwdriver blade...it'll take some fussing (and there's always at least one that is a complete nightmare....cursing it doesn't help, but it feels good), but you will be able to unscrew the butts eventually

HOWEVER ....if you can't, you can always just drill out the screw.
Computer Specs
Member with 56,093 posts.

19-Nov-2006, 09:02 PM #11
It takes time but chipping away the paint you can clear the paint away. Also a sharp razor blade can help clean up the screw slots etc.
Member with 5,520 posts.

Experience: Advanced...I guess... ;)
19-Nov-2006, 10:00 PM #12
Quote:
Hello, I'll get right to the point. The bolt that functions as the lock, won't retract. I can't get the knob to turn. Door won't open. I thought about removing the hinges, but the screws are in the inside, and the hinge itself is self-contained so I can't remove the bolt that keeps the two parts of the hinge attach to each other. How can I either open the door or remove it without an ax?

Thank You.
Howdy folks...

Before you do anything drastic...

A lot of those old door knobs had set screws just behind the knod near the door...

Does yours have this?

If so just take a small flat screw driver and tighten it...
Computer Specs
Member with 13,657 posts.

19-Nov-2006, 11:00 PM #13
I believe Craftmen makes a little tool which backs out screws with torn-up screw heads (if it comes to that). Not sure what they call it.
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

Experience: Always wanting to learn..
20-Nov-2006, 09:07 AM #14
One word....DYNAMITE
Computer Specs

20-Nov-2006, 09:27 AM #15
Jedi_Master, I think we're past tightening screws.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!