Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

homlite chansaw refuses to stay running

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 17,421 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Mar-2007, 10:28 PM #1
homlite chansaw refuses to stay running
i have a homelite 16 inch gas chainsaw model UT10532. Has not worked right sense I got it from homedepot last year. Then it would run a full power then start to die and I would have to tap the throttle to get it back up to speed. even when not under load. This year won't run for more they 3 seconds are does not get to full power.Im thinking its a carb problem like its not set right. Any ideas
Member with 2,470 posts.

22-Mar-2007, 09:28 AM #2
Nine times out of 10 its old/stale fuel.
Dump the old fuel into a glass container and compare it with fresh made- its likely to be cloudy, perhaps with some scum or water at the bottom.
Pull and clean the plug-look for carbon deposites -reset it to specs.
pull the cord a few times to clean all fuel in the lines out thru the plug hole.
Make a FRESH batch of fuel/oil a SMALL batch so it doesnt go stale also. Always use 2-cycle oil-never use auto oil.
fire it up
After two seasons of cutting remove the muffler and clean out the carbon accumulation on the exhaust port.
Computer Specs

22-Mar-2007, 09:37 AM #3
this thing has had this problem sense the day I got from home depot.guess this one slipped passed the pre-test stage but I will try that
Senior Member with 430 posts.

22-Mar-2007, 12:19 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
this thing has had this problem sense the day I got from home depot.guess this one slipped passed the pre-test stage but I will try that
Why didn't you return it?
Computer Specs

23-Mar-2007, 12:42 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXX
Why didn't you return it?
didn't think of that and I lost the recept for it
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Mar-2007, 12:34 AM #6
Most gas powered chain saws have a limited lifetime warranty I would check with that. Call homelite and see what your options are. If worse comes to worse the store you bought it at can look up your receipt from when you bought it if you paid with a credit or debit card. Calling homelite to see what they can do for ya would be my first option though. Why spend more money fixing it yourself if you don't really have to? Good luck.
Computer Specs

24-Mar-2007, 06:31 AM #7
Im guessing its a carb issue and it has a 2 year warrenty but it does not cover carb adjustments if thats all it needs
Computer Specs
Member with 2,918 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
26-Mar-2007, 02:05 PM #8
Did you ever put oil in it? (not in the gas tank!)

There should be a separate place to put oil, to lubricate the chain, and the other moving parts.
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2007, 12:53 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurutech
Did you ever put oil in it? (not in the gas tank!)

There should be a separate place to put oil, to lubricate the chain, and the other moving parts.
yes have used bar and chain oil on the chain oil tank.as for the engine this is a 2 cycle so you mix 2 cycle oil with the gas. If I take it in for a tune up its going to run about $90 which is more then what I paid for it brand new from home depot last year
Computer Specs
Member with 11,507 posts.

27-Mar-2007, 01:54 PM #10
Kinda sounds like you have an air leak between the carb and the block especially if it ran decent when cold, then got worse as the engine warmed up. Have you checked? I used to use chainsaw engines on my 1/4 scale aircraft and ran into your symptoms many times. Two issues were usually the cause... 1) air leak 2) crud in the needle valve(s) / seat . To fix #1 I always had a supply of home made gaskets and replaced them with ease. #2 is just as easy to fix. Just remove them and flush the fuel system. There isn't much that can go wrong with one of those engines.

I hanger some of my aircraft shots HERE
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2007, 01:59 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyzer
Kinda sounds like you have an air leak between the carb and the block especially if it ran decent when cold, then got worse as the engine warmed up. Have you checked? I used to use chainsaw engines on my 1/4 scale aircraft and ran into your symptoms many times. Two issues were usually the cause... 1) air leak 2) crud in the needle valve(s) / seat . To fix #1 I always had a supply of home made gaskets and replaced them with ease. #2 is just as easy to fix. Just remove them and flush the fuel system. There isn't much that can go wrong with one of those engines.
a trick my parts guy said take a can of wd-40 and spray around the gaskets if it speeds up or slows down you got a leak. I will have to try it. i
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!