Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to hook up a car sub in a home theater

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Mar-2007, 11:02 PM #1
How to hook up a car sub in a home theater
Does anyone know how to hook up a car sub to a home theater system. I already have a powered sub hooked up to a home theater amp, but i don't know how to hook up the car sub to it. The car sub is a 10" bazooka.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 175 posts.

Experience: Enthusiast
26-Mar-2007, 01:09 PM #2
i'm pretty sure you'll find something about it here: http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?

it's a forum all about home theater diy and such
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Mar-2007, 04:41 PM #3
So, it's equalizer time. You could buy a two-channel equalizer and hook your regular speakers up to one channel, and the subwoofer to the other channel...And by doing that, you could cut the mids and highs off to the subwoofer while keeping the full range for the other speakers.[/QUOTE]

I would agree on that being your best solution.
Junior Member with 15 posts.

29-Mar-2007, 05:08 PM #4
Car audio and home audio run on different ohm's. It will work but you must see what ohm's the home theater head unit runs at, and the ohm's range of the sub. Any other questions please feel free to ask
Computer Specs
Member with 5,531 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Mar-2007, 05:34 PM #5
Hard to do without hooking the sub up to some kind of crossover or equalized amp before connecting to the receiver.

Simple reason why: that sub is going to sound like bullox (and you might blow it!) if its not getting the specific frequency range its designed for!

For example: You could simply wire the sub to one of the speaker terminals on the receiver. But then the sub is going to be receiving the full frequency range of about 20Hz-22KHz...A car audio subwoofer is normally designed to handle a max frequency of about 100Hz to 1,000Hz. The result will be a very muddy sound, as you'll be hearing the mids and highs out of the subwoofer. You won't be able to turn the volume up very loud without risking a blowout.

So, it's equalizer time. You could buy a two-channel equalizer and hook your regular speakers up to one channel, and the subwoofer to the other channel...And by doing that, you could cut the mids and highs off to the subwoofer while keeping the full range for the other speakers.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

16-Nov-2007, 03:44 AM #6
Unhappy Plz.....
can anyone help me !!! do anyone live in SAN JOSE and live around costco in hosstter !! can u call me at , i need some addvise from u guy !!! my name is Bi ... thz

Last edited by hothanhbinh88; 16-Nov-2007 at 06:32 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 56,017 posts.

16-Nov-2007, 05:36 AM #7
Don't you have a toll free number?
Member with 3,428 posts.

Experience: I'd Like to say Einstein but I'm not....
16-Nov-2007, 11:56 AM #8
You might try reading this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbt...ion_guide.html

Oh and I strongly recommend you remove your phone number from the previous post. Very, very bad, you never know who's out there on the internet!
Member with 3,428 posts.

Experience: I'd Like to say Einstein but I'm not....
16-Nov-2007, 11:59 AM #9
Though oddly enough the last four digits are the same as my extension at work... you're not stalking me are you?

PM me if I can be of help.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

21-Nov-2007, 07:08 PM #10
Almost the same thing.
Does anyone out there know how i can put a whole car audio system into my house. What do i need to make my outlet 12 volts. Can i just use a transformer to get it down? What do i do about the amperage? Any help would be awesome. I already have the subs, head-unit, and amplifier. Thanks a lot.

Nick.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

Experience: Omnigeek
23-Nov-2007, 12:20 AM #11
Sell your car system on craigslist and use the money to buy a proper home system.

Seriously. Not only do you need a 12VDC power supply with *good* current capability (you're probably looking at AT LEAST $100 for a sufficient 12VDC power supply to drive all that), and you'll need to put your speakers in some kind of enclosures... by the time you build those you end up with a home system, just a lot sloppier.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Nov-2007, 08:37 PM #12
To the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekovuterakos14
Does anyone know how to hook up a car sub to a home theater system. I already have a powered sub hooked up to a home theater amp, but i don't know how to hook up the car sub to it. The car sub is a 10" bazooka.
There are a few bits of information not in your original post.
Does your home theatre amp have a sub-out channel? most do, but they are not amplified. Usually a single RCA connector.
If so, that means you do not need a crossover (which some posters above mistakenly called an equalizer).
Does the bazooka come with an amp built in? if so, you will need a 12volt feed which can supply a decent amount current. As posted above, not really worth the bother.
If not: you need to get yourself a home sub amp. 80 to 120W amps can be obtained fairly cheaply (and most will have a built-in crossover, if your home theatre amp happens to not have a sub out connection).
Most home subs are 8 ohms, but almost all home sub amps support loads down to 4ohms (i.e. car subs).
I have done this with two different sub amps & car subs, with no problems at all.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 99 posts.

Experience: eh??
14-Jan-2008, 02:00 AM #13
Quote:
Does anyone out there know how i can put a whole car audio system into my house.
Why would you want to rip out all your car system for a home theater???? Seriously my advice is too just save your penny's and buy a proper home theater rather than causing all these headaches for yourself.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

Experience: Omnigeek
14-Jan-2008, 02:23 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduk8_me View Post
Why would you want to rip out all your car system for a home theater???? Seriously my advice is too just save your penny's and buy a proper home theater rather than causing all these headaches for yourself.
Seconded.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!