Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Digital TV Question - No Signal on Several Channels

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Aug-2008, 07:37 PM #1
Digital TV Question - No Signal on Several Channels
This is related to a question that I asked a while ago and it really was never resolved because I didn't ask the right questions.

I bought a Samsung Digital TV (TX-T2082 20") and because I don't want cable
I use an antenna which is a signal booster. I bought the best one that they had for my purpose and it works perfectly except that there are still several channels that I'm unable to get when I'm in the the DTV mode but I am able to get them when I'm in the analog mode. They are NBC (channel 4 in NY) and all of the PBS stations.

The channels are there, as I said, they are viewable but in the DTV mode it says "no signal". No matter where I move the antenna or how I adjust it there is no signal.

I'm concerned now because it's getting closer to the time when there will only be the Digital signal and I'm worried that I won't be able to see those channels then.

Before I call Samsung customer service I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it. I live in a big apartment building and I am on a low floor but since it's only those 4 channels I doubt that that is why.

Also, there is a "master antenna" in the wall which I never used because the jack needs to be repaired and I was told that they didn't think that they were still being manufactured - but do you think that using that (if I'm able to get them to repair it) might solve this issue?

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

03-Aug-2008, 09:05 PM #2
I dont know where in the world you are,but here in the UK we have the same problems as you regarding the reception of digital tv ...its almost essential to have an outside roof mounted wide band ariel of the high gain type to get satisfactory reception and even then on some days,due to local conditions its possible to get low signal strength resulting in poor reception ....you mentioned that you could move your antenna,is it the motorised type? or is it an indoor one? if its indoor then its not really good enough even with a booster ....its the way things are ...maybe that wall jack would be the way to go because presumably it goes to an antenna on the roof of the building perhaps ....and even though you say you dont want cable,you get no problems that way because they do all the signal processing ....have a look at this site about antennas and for freeview read digital http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?s...&sid=3&subid=0
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

03-Aug-2008, 10:07 PM #3
I am in New York City and my antenna is indoors. I'm not sure where the master antenna connects to, or even if it's still functional since almost everyone in the building has cable.
It's annoying that everything will be digital in a few months even though they aren't really ready for it - if I'm unable to get a signal from NBC and I'm just about 40 blocks from where they transmit I don't know how anyone else will!
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

03-Aug-2008, 11:07 PM #4
Well cycler whatever we (the people) think in your country, the same as mine, the powers that be have decided that digital is the way it will be and so we have no choice in the matter ....digital is accepted over here nowadays and most people either go by way of satellite or cable,there are very reasonable "packages"offered by the relevant companies involved in this and the government even subsidise people on lower incomes to some degree (as they do in yours I'm led to believe) over here for instance I get over 200 channels of digital TV with no problems via cable ....and Im afraid no matter how close to the transmitter you live, you need a top class antenna to recieve it or go the other way via cable or satellite ...

There is by the way a thread on this problem which has a lot of interesting reading if you are interested click on this http://forums.techguy.org/random-dis...analog-tv.html

Last edited by telecom69; 03-Aug-2008 at 11:15 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 01:30 PM #5
I spoke to someone in my building today and he said that the master antenna won't be working anyway after the switch to digital so that won't work.
I guess I'll just call Samsung and see what they've got to say.
Thanks!
Member with 17,584 posts.

06-Aug-2008, 09:43 PM #6
You need a good signal level for digital, in no way would I rely on an indoor unit.
I really can't see what Samsung can do about it.
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,598 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Aug-2008, 10:53 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
I spoke to someone in my building today and he said that the master antenna won't be working anyway after the switch to digital so that won't work.
I guess I'll just call Samsung and see what they've got to say.
Thanks!
I would question that it would not work. If it works for analog it will work for digital, too. Have a friend with HDTV (no cable) and he's using his old analog outdoor antenna and gets more stations and better reception than I get with powered indoor antenna.
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
07-Aug-2008, 12:13 AM #8
The trouble is the the old Yagi type antennas are not appropriate for the reception of digital. You really need an antenna that looks more like the old UHF antennas, and, as you know, most of the digital channels will be in the UHF range. The quality is not as good in the lower channel numbers.

As for NBC 4, are you sure you are trying the correct channels? Do you know what channel it will be in February and what channel it is now? They are not the same. Do you do an automatic scan?

There are add-ons for Google Earth that show the nation-wide digital channels both as they are today and as they will be then.
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

07-Aug-2008, 03:47 PM #9
The antenna that I got is specifically for digital - I'll see if I'm able to locate a picture to add.
I called NBC but they never got back to me on it.
Computer Specs

07-Aug-2008, 03:52 PM #10
I was referring more to the one on the roof, especially if it has been there a while.
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

07-Aug-2008, 04:03 PM #11
Oh - right - from what I was told that one isn't really even an antenna - it's just something that was put there long before cable to bring in the signal.
Computer Specs

07-Aug-2008, 06:51 PM #12
You could always put your own up there if the cable exists.

I'm looking for a good roof-top antenna with the longest range possible and a rotor. There are quite a few on Ebay that claim ranges of 75-95 miles, but I'm a little wary of those mass-produced Chinese products with new names. They could make a fortune on those things and vanish before anyone realized it was junk (not that it is, but could be).
Junior Member with 5 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 08:23 PM #13
I just got the same TV as you and am having a similar problem. My old TV picked up all the analog channels perfectly, while on the Samsung they come in rather grainy. The HD channels it can receive are great, but many channels aren't coming in.
Computer Specs
Member with 496 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 08:42 PM #14
That's the same for me. The digital picture is the best I've ever had (but I had an ancient TV so anything is an improvement). So what are you going to do about it for next year?

I don't think that my building will let me put an antenna there because I'm sure that everyone except for me has cable - it's a huge building - almost a square block in NYC and I think that they'll say there will be liability issues.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 08:46 PM #15
I'm not sure, I was just googling the TV to see if other people are having similar problems, it seems they are. I'm thinking about trying to return the TV and see if a different one would get better antenna reception. Maybe they just built these without testing the antenna tuning very well.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!