Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Dishwasher Burning Up?

(!)

Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

08-Aug-2008, 09:02 PM #1
Solved: Dishwasher Burning Up?
My wife asked me to check out the dishwasher about 5 minutes after she started it because she could see smoke in the kitchen. Sure enough, a light cloud of smoke coming from the area at the top of the dishwasher door. It smelled like burning electronics (like burned ICs or resistors) so I cut the power at the circuit breaker panel and removed the front panel at the bottom. No smoke or burned smell there, the motor was not hot, and nothing looked burned underneath.

Figuring I need to see where the smoke was coming from before I can fix it, I turned the power back on and washed a load of dishes. Everything appeared to work and no smoke this time.

I am thinking maybe something fried inside the door? Not much there except 8 pushbutton switches, four lamps, and a dial that selects the operation mode. Does anyone know (so I don't have to take it apart) if Maytag puts circuit board assemblies inside the door?
Member with 4,294 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2008, 11:15 PM #2
Just a thought...

Are lizards prevalent in your area? One could have crawled in and fried. It's happened before with my a/c unit...lizard goes in...gets sideways...and we smell him burning. Sad but true; but it really doesn't hurt anything except the lizard and my stress level...I hate smelling something burning.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you-
Computer Specs
Member with 5,178 posts.

09-Aug-2008, 12:09 AM #3
U sure also it was not the dry cycle. I know mine which is a GE Profile Triton emits steam during the dry cycle. The burning could have possibly been a chunk of food that fell on a heating coil as well and you smelled it burning up.
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2008, 12:33 AM #4
My job is electrical engineer at a high tech electronics company so I know the smell... definitely electronics parts burning. Just not sure where it was coming from.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

09-Aug-2008, 08:21 AM #5
First off, the electronics are indeed in the door, you have to take a panel off to see the PCB. I'm surprised it still works after smelling circuits frying!
Member with 2,470 posts.

09-Aug-2008, 08:35 AM #6
My bet is a teflon spachela dropped onto the heating coil, or a plastic bottle cap or a plastic picknik fork. It may be totally melted away so look for remains in the strain drainer on floor of the the diswasher.
I know that smell well-and it is exactly like an electrical insulation burning. You probably dislodged it when you reloaded the trays.
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2008, 08:41 AM #7
I don't use the heated drying in mine, so that could never happen here.
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2008, 01:51 PM #8
I took the door apart (after finding my Torx drivers) and found nothing there except a synchronous motor, switches and lights. Since apparently nothing burned, nothing to fix. As Knotbored posted, maybe something plastic. I put it all back together and hope Murphy doesn't find out.
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2008, 03:38 PM #9
Must be an older dishwasher, both the one I replaced a few years back and the current one have a pretty good sized electronics board in the door.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!