Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Turntable won't turn

(!)

Member with 118 posts.

31-May-2009, 09:19 PM #1
Solved: Turntable won't turn
I have recently purchased an Akai ATT10U USB turntable. After I set it up and turned on the power, all the appropriate lights came on - but the turntable would not turn. I pressed both the stop/start buttons (one for each direction) but nothing happened. This is basically a simple piece of machinery - power into an electric motor that turns a belt to a spindle. I can only think that I've either got a dud motor or the belt is not connected - either of those options means going back to the shop. But if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be most grateful to hear them.

Many thanks
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-May-2009, 11:58 PM #2
Since you did not mention it, I have to ask. Did you actually try to play a record? Not sure about your model of turntable but some turntables will not start to spin until the tone arm is is over the turntable.
Senior Member with 1,498 posts.

Experience: Rocks are smarter !
01-Jun-2009, 12:16 AM #3
also, did you remove the 2 ribbon tapes from beneath/on the underside of the turntable, and have you installed the drive belt over the motor capstan ? These steps are required BEFORE you try to use this turntable. Check your owners manual that came with the turntable. If you dont have one, let me know, I will send a link for one.
Member with 118 posts.

01-Jun-2009, 03:32 AM #4
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Yes, Chuck, I did try to play a record by moving the tone arm across the record, but this had no effect.

Paisano, I have an owner's manual, but it is only 4 pages, and makes no reference to removing ribbon tapes, or installing the drive belt. From what I can remember (I'm at work at the moment and not close to the turntable), the drive motor and belt are in a sealed compartment that is not accessible. BUT - I shall have a much closer look when I get home. In the meantime, if you would please be kind enough to send me a link to a user manual, I shall be most grateful. Many thanks
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

01-Jun-2009, 09:25 AM #5

02-Jun-2009, 02:34 AM #6
I have
attached below, 2 screen shots of your turntable model instructions. You can see the full instruction set at the link that John provided above this post.

(Thanks, BTW, JW, I was in a hurry, as my wife wanted the computer,and wasnt sure if the op had the book needed )

I hope the 2 photos come out clearly, but I think your turntable must have been packaged at the factory, without the drive belt engaged on the drive pully, to prevent stretching, and/or shipping damage. The second photo describes the procedure illustrated in the first photo diagram.

I hope this solves your problem, good luck!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Turntable won't turn-turntablediagram.jpg   Solved: Turntable won't turn-turntableinstructions.jpg  

Last edited by paisanol69; 02-Jun-2009 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: correct my goofy spelling..
Member with 118 posts.

03-Jun-2009, 08:20 PM #7
Thank you very much, paisanol69 and John Will, you have helped me to solve my "problem". The highly abbreviated instruction sheet (4 pages) supplied with the turntable made no reference to having to engage the belt drive with the drive pulley. When I located the belt and slipped it over the pulley - problem solved. So, once again, very many thanks to you both. (I have a small problem now with the input volume into the PC through the USB link, but that needs some more expeimentation - and, in any case, I think it's a software issue for another forum)

03-Jun-2009, 11:30 PM #8
you're very welcome. I hope you get the software problem worked out soon, and have a great time re-recording all of your LP's to cd format. Take a trip down memory lane...( I did) LOL.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

04-Jun-2009, 05:19 PM #9
Glad it all worked out.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!