Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Water On Floor under Furnace

(!)

Member with 1,043 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Jul-2009, 11:08 AM #1
Water On Floor under Furnace
Before I call a repairman,
Can you tell me why there is water below my furnace?
I had the air conditioner on, and my "pump" is working to
take the condensation out from the air conditioner, so what
do you think is happening?

Maybe the drain to the pump is plugged?

I don't know, I see this is going to be expensive.
They will probably tell me I need a new furnace, but I
don't want to go that route.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
18-Jul-2009, 11:18 AM #2
Depends on a lot of things. Do you have hot water in that setup, too? It could be a plugged drain on the reservoir for the condensate. That is not uncommon. Dust and debris can eventually plug it, as can mold.
Senior Member with 1,308 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Jul-2009, 11:20 AM #3
http://www.jimrooneyonthelevel.com/2007/0609.htm

Check this out--it may solve your problem. If you are ever told you need a new furnace, get a second or even a third opinion. Never go by what the first guy says. There are some unscruplious people out there.

That is good advice I got when I was young and it's a rule I follow for everything
Computer Specs
Member with 1,415 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jul-2009, 02:24 PM #4
I suspect your A Coil has iced up due to low refrigerant in your system due to a leak, which [the leak] is most likely located in the A Coil. When the ice on the A Coil melts (when the A/C is off) it causes water in, and under, the air handler unit.

If my guess is right you'll probably learn you have a pinhole in the A Coil, which causes loss of refrigerant.

To check this yourself - pull the cover off your air handler unit (after the A/C has been running a while) to see if the A Coil is iced up.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Jul-2009, 04:17 PM #5
Actually, I'd guess that it's simply a plugged up drain for the condensate, this is very common. That would be my top suspect, and also easy to fix yourself.
Member with 1,043 posts.

18-Jul-2009, 04:22 PM #6
Ice Up
I was thinking about the icing up, but to get at it is ridiculous, there isn't a "cover", there are screws to sheet metal, etc. It would take time.

I took apart my "pump" that takes the condensation from the air conditioner to the sink. It was filthy, lucky the pump isn't ruined. I'm thinking maybe that stopped water from coming in the pump. I took my mushroom air compressor, and blew back through the line from the pump into the air conditioner. I'm hoping this line was blocked. I did see a little water come out after I blue through these lines. We'll see next time I use the air conditioner.

Thanks all of your for your advise.

Silverado
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2009, 04:28 PM #7
I'd make sure that line is clear, then test the pump. My pump has a float that will turn off the A/C if it fills up and fails to empty the reservoir in the pump.
Member with 1,043 posts.

18-Jul-2009, 04:36 PM #8
Water drain Line
My pump running good. There is a cap on the pump, that I took off and poured water into it. The pump started, and drained what was in the pump's reservoir. I poured "white vinegar" into it and ran it again. I'll find out when I start my air conditioner when it gets hotter. It's been cold here, and I don't dare turn it on, she'll kill me. Thanks for your input, but it looks like I already did what you said.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,415 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jul-2009, 05:02 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado4 View Post
My pump running good. There is a cap on the pump, that I took off and poured water into it. The pump started, and drained what was in the pump's reservoir. I poured "white vinegar" into it and ran it again. I'll find out when I start my air conditioner when it gets hotter. It's been cold here, and I don't dare turn it on, she'll kill me. Thanks for your input, but it looks like I already did what you said.
It's a good habit to pour a cup of bleach into the condensation line once a month during A/C season to keep it clear and to prevent mold/mildew growth.
Member with 1,043 posts.

19-Jul-2009, 09:25 AM #10
Bleach
I will do that, I'll put in a cup of bleach in each month. I hope I solved the problem by cleaning the lines out.

I'll let you know the next time I turn on the A/C.

Thanks for all the info.

Silverado over an out
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Aug-2009, 12:58 PM #11
Could be the A coil is freezing up and melting in areas that don't normally catch condensate. This could account for the water on the floor. Check your air filter to see if it is clogged. The reduced air flow causes the coil to freeze up. Try changing the air filter before calling for repair. Its cheap and needs to be done one a month anyway.
Member with 1,043 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 01:06 PM #12
Water On Floor
I'm going to change the filter, (it's not bad, but just in case). We've had a few hot days here in Michigan, and today it will be close to 94 or so. The last few times I had the a/c on, there wasn't any water on the floor. This may be because I used an air compressor (mushroom type), to blow through the drain lines, and back into the coil also. I opened up my pump that gets rid of the water to my sink. I've had this pump for 8 years, never cleaned it. It was moldy and dirty. It is clean now, and I will watch it this weekend. I can't get at the drain pan under my coil, since it is surrounded by sheet metal. That may have junk in it also. I'll let you know.
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2009, 04:32 PM #13
Any area of the coil that could freeze should be in an area where the condensate is collected.

I'm betting that clearing the drain line was the silver bullet here.
Member with 1,043 posts.

10-Aug-2009, 10:36 AM #14
Drain
The a/c ran all night and all day yesterday, temp was around 90 or so. No Water on floor the next day, (today).

Also, my A/C unit outside is oxidizing on the bottom due to my dog lifting his leg on it.
This only does damage to the bottom 4-5 rows of fins on the front of the a/c unit. This should not cause the leaking on the floor, but when the dog leaves this earth, I'll replace it.
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2009, 02:40 PM #15
Well, the outside unit is the "meat" of the A/C, and you're going to find out that it's NOT cheap to replace! Normally, they'll also want to replace the A-coil as well to keep them as a matched set for best efficiency.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!