Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Sound Suddenly Went Off on TV

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

30-Jul-2009, 01:33 PM #1
Sound Suddenly Went Off on TV
I'm house-sitting for my friend, and while I was using the TV, flipping through the channels, the sound died but the picture is still on and working well. It's not muted, and the volume isn't working. The button on the remote I think I might of pushed is the "TV Input" and when I push it, the screen goes dark and goes through the various input options. At the time, I was only using the Direct TV remote which as far as I knew didn't affect sound. I don't know what happened, I went through the sound settings, and changed everything and put it back and nothing happened. Still no sound. I'm not sure what I did. Everything except the sound is working. Can someone please help me??

Last edited by helpmeplze; 30-Jul-2009 at 02:24 PM..
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,316 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2009, 02:54 PM #2
HI and welcome to TSG.

Does the TV have any other signal sources, like a DVD player, connected to it? If so, does the sound work for them?

30-Jul-2009, 04:02 PM #3
The TV has a built in DVD player, and the sound and picture are both working on it.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 04:20 PM #4
That kind of eliminates the problem being with much of the sound hardware in the TV.

Maybe if you post the brand and model number of the TV and the model number of the DirecTV receiver, someone here may be able to help with making sure you have the configuration menu selections right in both units.

30-Jul-2009, 04:30 PM #5
Before I post all that, would it of been possible for me to change that with the remote, when I only pushed like three buttons? Or is that what happened? I just totally screwed it up? Well, the brand and model name of the TV are: RCA and its a Scenuim. I don't know where all the model numbers and everything are though.

But, is it safe to assume that its not broken completely because it still had sound for the DVD?
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 04:44 PM #6
Yes, you are probably safe to assume that no hardware is broken but some setting got changed on the TV or receiver to mute or change the audio input or output type settings. We have a couple of different DirecTV receivers at home and I can not recall if they have any option to mute the sound output.

30-Jul-2009, 04:48 PM #7
Oh man that is so good to know that I didn't break their TV, hopefully. So should I just try messing around with the settings some more to see if anything changes?
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 05:05 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeplze View Post
So should I just try messing around with the settings some more to see if anything changes?
That might be a good choice. Are you also taking care of any dogs or cats at their place? If so, you can always blame one of them for stepping or laying on the remote and killing the sound.

30-Jul-2009, 05:14 PM #9
Thats perfect! They have two dogs and ones always in you lap when you watch TV. Ha, I'll save that for a last ditch effort. Thanks for the help, by the way!
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 05:29 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeplze View Post
Thanks for the help, by the way!
You're welcome.
Hope you figure out the menu settings and the pooch doesn't get the blame.

30-Jul-2009, 06:36 PM #11
I haven't gotten it fixed, and they're coming back tomorrow. I'm up a creek here. I need some serious help. Any other ideas?

30-Jul-2009, 07:02 PM #12
I just plugged in headphones to see if I could hear out of them. I couldn't. There was a buzzing noise, does that mean its muted, or there is no sound at all? Ugh. This is frustrating.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2009, 10:57 PM #13
Not sure what else to suggest.

If you can get behind the equipment check how the audio gets from the receiver to the TV and make sure the plugs are all fully inserted.

Then make sure that the TV set-up menu shows that the correct audio input jacks are used when selecting the receiver as the video source. Lastly, see if the receiver has any kind of set-up menu that may turn different audio outputs on and off.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
no sound on tv

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!