Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

help! The water in my Toilet tank is filling very slowly

(!)

Member with 355 posts.

13-Sep-2009, 10:53 AM #1
help! The water in my Toilet tank is filling very slowly
Hi! After I flush the toilet and the water goes away but then the water in the tank is filling very very slowly. The water is coming out of the grey thing that sticks out. I check the water valve and it's turn all the way. What can I do? What happened? How can I make the water like normal? It's strange, it worked fine then this happen?

ps. I found this pic on the net and it's silimiar to mine.

Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,597 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Sep-2009, 11:41 AM #2
Something is restricting water flow. It could be a rubber seat in the wall shutoff valve or if you have very hard water a piece of lime build up has broken loose in the line. It could also be your tank valve assembly is suffering from the same problem. If you move the lever arm up and down during the water filling process it may work it out. Otherwise, it or the wall shutoff may need replacing (this is provided your water pressure on all your other faucets is the same as it's always been).
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert
wacor has a Photo Album
Account Disabled with 27,340 posts.

Experience: Depends on the definition
13-Sep-2009, 05:54 PM #3
Unless the plumbing has been worked on to stir up stuff and assuming shut off valve has not been touched I doubt it is the shut off valve. Unless this was a gradual problem.

You can verify if it is a supply problem by doing the following.
1. Drain the toilet tank
2. Turn off that shut off valve
3. Disconnect the tubing on the discharge of that valve.
4. Stick a bowl or something under the valve and open it.

If the pressure is good then it is not a supply issue.

It probably is something internal in the ballcock or whatever they call it anymore. Those are easy to change and cheap.
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,989 posts.

13-Sep-2009, 10:21 PM #4
have you tried to move the metal clip up or down (like the one in the red circle) and see if that helps?
Have you checked the rubber flap that lifts up when you flush? Sometimes the bottom of that rubberdisk gets dirty from rust and doesn't close properly, so there is a slow leak into the toilet, you hardly notice it, but it will take a lot longer to fll the tank.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 552 posts.

Experience: always learning
13-Sep-2009, 10:55 PM #5
does it constantly make noise after flushing intill it fills.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

14-Sep-2009, 09:50 AM #6
Note that the whole guts of most common toilet tanks are only $10-15, and you'll have all new parts. They're also pretty easy to install...
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Sep-2009, 02:20 PM #7
That particular type of fill valve in the picture have a replaceable seal, this is the symptom of the seal needing replaced. Series 400 is the most common fluidmaster valve.

http://www.fluidmaster.com/html/fill_valve_seals.html they have downloadable "how to replace" instrucions on this site.

Home depot and Lowes carries these.
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,952 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Sep-2009, 10:23 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbodog View Post
That particular type of fill valve in the picture have a replaceable seal, this is the symptom of the seal needing replaced. Series 400 is the most common fluidmaster valve.

http://www.fluidmaster.com/html/fill_valve_seals.html they have downloadable "how to replace" instrucions on this site.

Home depot and Lowes carries these.
Yeppers. I would start with Mumbodog's suggestion. That little seal is cheap, and over time it develops a small hole in it that inhibits its operation. On the picture in the first post, you pop the black cap off, change it out, and you're good to go.

Also, make sure you have not had a significant flow/water pressure drop at your house. Make sure the main valve is on all the way.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!