Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: HDTV help, what to get?

(!)

View Poll Results: Which tv should I get?
720p 32inch 3 100.00%
1080p 24 inch 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Computer Specs
Member with 220 posts.

Experience: I know stuff, I think
23-Nov-2009, 10:31 AM #1
Solved: HDTV help, what to get?
Well, I'm buying an hdtv.
I originally thought that I wanted a 32 inch, 720p or 1080p
The 32 inch tvs in my price range ar all 720p.
That would be fine, but then I started thinking about the difference between 720p and 1080p.
SDTVs are 480p
720-480=240
1080-480=600
It seems that there is a much bigger difference than I originally thought.

I'm really one for quality, all my games are high graphics and I'd be using the tv for not only hd movies, but output to games as well.

So I started looking up deals on 1080p tvs.
All the 1080p hdtvs in my range are 24 inchs. (which seems kinda like a monitor to me)

My question is, do you think it would be worth it to get a 24inch 1080p hdtv, or would it be better to stick with my original plan of a 32 inch 720p?
Would the quality on the 720p be just as good or better than the 24 inch?
Would I even be able to notice the difference that a 1080p hdtv makes if its on such a small screen?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

23-Nov-2009, 11:00 AM #2
I'd be more interested in the refresh rate for games, you want at least 120hz.

FWIW, I have a 50" 720P plasma and a 52" 1080P LCD. Both have great pictures from the HD box for Verizon FiOS, which I believe only offers 720P. I suspect that if I had a Blu-Ray box, I might see the difference. I'd hold out for the larger screen in 1080P if it were me.
Computer Specs
Member with 71 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Nov-2009, 02:25 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrovamp View Post
Would I even be able to notice the difference that a 1080p hdtv makes if its on such a small screen?
The answer to that is a resounding: no. There is no way you'd be able to tell the difference between 720P and 1080P at such a small screen size. That's a total gimmick. I've read at least 3 or 4 tests online that tested 720P vs 1080P on 40" TV's at regular (~7ft) viewing distances, and the human eye just can't tell the difference. Even at 2-3 feet, almost all the people they tested couldn't see a difference. And that was a 40" TV.

I would definitely get the 32"
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

24-Nov-2009, 02:45 AM #4
Not all TVs are of the same quality,there is more to think about other than 720 and 1080..Picture quality is all about the eye no whats on paper. The 1080 has the capabilty given to produce a better picture,but that dont mean it automatically does based on this alone.
With the screen range you have in mind either is just fine...Remember its all about the eye. I would go to a big chain where there are many TVs and one can see not all pictures are alike....I have seen some great 720 pictures....Since the 1080 panel costs more to produce the savings by the mfg might take place with the rest of the componets,,,Since a 720 panel is cheaper to produce more money can be spent on the other componets inside.
And sound one must take sound into consideration..its half the show..there are a few units with crappy sound and that can spoil an otherwise good experience.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
1080p, 720p, buying, deals, hdtv

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!