Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related) Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

garage opener is opening the neighbors door too

(!)

wacor has a Photo Album
Account Disabled with 27,340 posts.

Experience: Depends on the definition
31-Jan-2010, 07:33 PM #1
garage opener is opening the neighbors door too
I have a year old Sears garage door opener. It has the roving codes as I recall. All of a sudden the remote opener is also working on the neighbors door. But not always. I have no idea how this could happen. I thought the door changed codes each time it operated. I reset the codes and it did not operate the neighbors door at first but then the next time I used it the neighbors door also went up when I used my remote. The weird part is the keyless pad does not seem to effect the neighbors door.

I thought resetting the code would fix this but no luck so not sure where to go from here.
Moderator with 63,518 posts.

31-Jan-2010, 07:36 PM #2
I'm sorry. There's no way in hell I could even begin to assist here. I just think it's funny as hell and wanted to post.

Can I ask a question? What was the look on your fact like when you first figured it out?

Also, does it work both ways?

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 552 posts.

Experience: always learning
31-Jan-2010, 08:35 PM #3
Ha my uncle had the same problem but our friend across the street just had the dealer or who ever do something to it?

Call the manufacture quick because if something gets stolen and they find out that your opener works on their garage you can find your self in court.

buy the way it's not hard to crack garage doors with computer software and little modification to the remote that's why i anchor my tool boxes to a large anvil.
wacor has a Photo Album

31-Jan-2010, 09:16 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I'm sorry. There's no way in hell I could even begin to assist here. I just think it's funny as hell and wanted to post.

Can I ask a question? What was the look on your fact like when you first figured it out?

Also, does it work both ways?
I had no idea it was happening. I got a note from the wife that one neighbor complained to another neighbor about it. As if it is only my problem to solve.

I have not asked them if their opener does the same thing.

The weird part is that it is inconsistent. I have been really sensitive to watch and make sure I don't leave there door up so I look every time.

I did not want to have to reprogram mine so I kept thinking when it was ok for a couple days that it was just a fluke. But then finally got fed up and reset the codes today and it worked once without affecting theirs and then the next time theirs opened.

With these controls that are roaming I have no idea why this is happening.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

31-Jan-2010, 09:20 PM #5
You need to reprogram the opener to your door, just start from scratch. This is not supposed to happen, if all else fails, I'd get on Sears for a solution.
wacor has a Photo Album

31-Jan-2010, 09:27 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
You need to reprogram the opener to your door, just start from scratch. This is not supposed to happen, if all else fails, I'd get on Sears for a solution.
I did reset the codes

Unless I did that wrong somehow. But I doubt it as the lights did what they were supposed to and the remotes did not work until I synced them.
Member with 2,470 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Feb-2010, 09:17 AM #7
This sounds more like your neighbors problem then yours.
If I found out my neighbors generic key unlocked my car door I would blame my car, not my neighbor and get my car fixed.
Senior Member with 836 posts.

01-Feb-2010, 10:42 AM #8
Agreed, it could be a receiver problem on his side rather than a transmitter problem on yours.
Computer Specs

01-Feb-2010, 11:32 AM #9
Maybe you should talk to him and try re-syncing his codes?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,415 posts.

01-Feb-2010, 11:53 AM #10
The problem lies with your neighbor's older garage door opener's receiver. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it just doesn't have the safeguards like the newer ones...and now your unit's roving codes (within the same frequency range sometimes matches your neighbor's code. And bingo - your remote opens your neighbor's garage door along with your garage door.

Each time you use your remote control it seeds your receiver with new coding for the next operation. Your neighbor's receiver happens to randomly operate whenever your unit's coding matches your neighbor's much broader coding range.

There are a few different operating frequency ranges for garage door openers and obviously you and your neighbor's door unfortunately operates within that same frequency range. But the problem is not the frequency operating range, though a different range would prevent what's happening, but instead your neighbor's older unit does not have the inherent safeguard that newer units have.

I would talk with an experienced tech at "any" garage door installer and ask what can be done. There are a number of national companies - Overhead Door Company is a good place to start.
Computer Specs

01-Feb-2010, 03:38 PM #11
Of course, you could replace your transmitter and receiver, but I can't see why you should have to do that when it sounds like the neighbor's rig is the problem.
Senior Member with 1,498 posts.

Experience: Rocks are smarter !
02-Feb-2010, 12:06 AM #12
I guess it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
Of course, you could replace your transmitter and receiver, but I can't see why you should have to do that when it sounds like the neighbor's rig is the problem.
....would all depend on who had the oldest installation of the garage door opener. For example, if I had a garage door opener installed 6 years ago, working perfectly, and my neighbor installed a new one across the street from me, causing my garage door to open randomly, then it would definately be my neighbors problem, not mine since there was/is nothing wrong with my doors function. My neighbor would have to be the one to address the problem, not me.
The only time it would become my problem, is if I got robbed due to my garage door being opened when I was not at home, and I can assure you, that would SOON become my neighbors problem, since he/she was aware that their opener was/could leave my home unsecured when they operated their remote.

As a side point, I would be glad to know that the problem existed, since it stands to reason that if my neighbor can now randomly open my garage, so could anyone else driving by, with the same type of remote!

Last edited by paisanol69; 02-Feb-2010 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Computer Specs
Member with 1,415 posts.

02-Feb-2010, 12:26 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisanol69 View Post
....would all depend on who had the oldest installation of the garage door opener. For example, if I had a garage door opener installed 6 years ago, working perfectly, and my neighbor installed a new one across the street from me, causing my garage door to open randomly, then it would definately be my neighbors problem, not mine since there was/is nothing wrong with my doors function. My neighbor would have to be the one to address the problem, not me.
The only time it would become my problem, is if I got robbed due to my garage door being opened when I was not at home, and I can assure you, that would SOON become my neighbors problem, since he/she was aware that their opener was/could leave my home unsecured when they operated their remote.

As a side point, I would be glad to know that the problem existed, since it stands to reason that if my neighbor can now randomly open my garage, so could anyone else driving by, with the same type of remote!
That said, you may want to reconsider your position concerning whose problem it is!
Senior Member with 1,498 posts.

Experience: Rocks are smarter !
02-Feb-2010, 12:49 AM #14
all I am saying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koot View Post
That said, you may want to reconsider your position concerning whose problem it is!
is just because my neighbore decided to upgrade/replace his garage door opener, do not mean that I should have to also.

Whats next? He/she decide to paint their house, so now I must follow suit?

That is/was the point of my last post!!
Senior Member with 836 posts.

02-Feb-2010, 01:02 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koot View Post
Especially when you consider the FCC rules for most electronic devices of this type, it`s sorta straddle of the fence, but says:
1: This device may not cause harmful interference
2: This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!