Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

DOS/Other DOS/Other
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Imac password problem

(!)

Junior Member with 24 posts.

23-Nov-2002, 07:48 PM #1
Imac password problem
Hello all.I recently bought an Imac from my landlord who got it out of one his rental apartments.He knows nothing about computers so I got it pretty cheap.When I plugged it in and turned it on it went straight into the last users desktop.So I piddled around and checked things out.Then I made a mistake.
Instead of just turning it off,I shut it down,now when I turn it back on it goes it asks for a password.I can get into the computer by "new user",but I can't get back to the original owners desktop. And that is where I need to get into to set the computer to my preferences.Is there anyway I can get around the password thing short of reinstalling a new MAC os?It is currently running mac os9.Also there I noticed a reset button on the back. Would that help me in anyway? Thanks all...............Beverly
Member with 254 posts.

Experience: Einstein
24-Nov-2002, 12:41 AM #2
MacOS 9 Multiple Users is relatively secure. I think you'll find it a moderate challenge for a seasoned hack.

Best bet is to reinstall the OS. Probably a good idea anyhow...make sure you're starting clean and such.

24-Nov-2002, 11:41 AM #3
Hi.I've decided that reinstalling the os would be easier.Now when I do that,do I have to reinstall os 9 or can I go ahead and put in a newer version like 10? I don't hacve anything to save on the computer,like I said,I just got it and all I did was look around.
Thanks for your help.
Member with 254 posts.

Experience: Einstein
24-Nov-2002, 09:38 PM #4
I'd reinitialize the drive and put 9 on fresh. Then, do a Mac OS X install over Mac OS 9. this will make sure the "classic" (i.e. MacOS 9) environment is there and working and will give you a fresh start on both OS's.
Member with 243 posts.

12-Dec-2002, 08:54 AM #5
You could boot with a boot CD and delete the multiple user preferences and (sometimes) the key chain preferences. This will take care of the password issue.

15-Dec-2002, 11:04 PM #6
Unhappy I think I made a boo boo
Ok.I got a software restore disk,OS 9.0 for my type of Imac.I inserted it and booted from it.I tried to do a restore but it wouldn't let me.Said I couldn't use that disk.So I took a look around at what I could,and tried to reintialize the drive.Well I think I wiped out my entire hard drive.When I turn on the computer,all I get is a little ? in the middle of the screen.When I put the disk in,it loads up,says MAC OS 9 then goes to the desktop and all thats on it is an icon for the software restore cd and an icon that says untitled.I have no idea what I may have done or if it can be fixed.If it can be fixed,how and exactly what disks do I need?Thank you all very much for your help to this computer dummy
Member with 243 posts.

16-Dec-2002, 09:09 AM #7
Well the "untitled" icon is probably your Hard Drive so you'll have to reinstall the O.S Using the software restore CD... which will hopefully work now!

16-Dec-2002, 09:58 AM #8
Hi.I tried the software restore disk again and it still won't work.
Any more suggestions?
Member with 243 posts.

16-Dec-2002, 10:22 AM #9
Do you get any error messages when you try the install?

16-Dec-2002, 10:41 AM #10
No.All it says is" this configuration not supported on this computer"
Junior Member with 1 posts.

09-Feb-2003, 01:17 AM #11
Unhappy I have a similar irritating problem that needs attention please help
Hi there I have a similar problem to morgan , in that i do not posses the passwords to the multi user function on my imac! this is terrrible as i just got it and my privledges are very limited! i read that you can boot with boot discs and somehow delete the muti user option! if this is true where can i get these or if anyone knows a way around this problem........please holla at me!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!