Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wrong Processor in BIOS

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Apr-2012, 02:57 PM #1
Wrong Processor in BIOS
Hey everyone, first post here.
So here the predicament, I was given an old computer with windows ME on it. Motherboard is the ASuS P2L97, with 384 MiB of ram. The processor is (according to the non-changeable value in the BIOS) is a Celeron 787mhz processor. As far as I have discovered, there has been no intel celeron with a clock speed of 787. (nothing is overclocked). The system is generally stable under no load, but when some programs are opened, the computer will just hang indefinitely. I thought this was because ME has not been reinstalled in 10 years but when I try to install XP or 2000 the text install loads files then hangs at "Setup is loading Windows".

So, my questions. First of all, how is it possible that the bios thinks there is a Celeron 787mhz installed? (additionally the p2l97 should not be able to use it as the Maximum processor speed according to their website is some Pentium II..). Secondly, could this be the reason that windows setup hangs? Or is there another reason?
All help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance
-Phoenix

EDIT: Maybe this should have gone under hardware... Mod can move if needed, sorry about that

Last edited by PhoenixRain; 12-Apr-2012 at 03:06 PM..
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Apr-2012, 08:25 AM #2
After a couple days of searching, I have concluded that it is in fact impossible to install W2K or XP on my processor/chipset combination.
Also, contrary to what I thought, the processor /was/ overclocked via a 75mhz (i think) bus speed, which I turned down to 66 to possibly stabilize the system a bit.
I ended up reinstalling ME, and its about as fast as before... even with all the stuff that was on it. I am still having the random system freeze problem, and I think it lays in the video card, which is a Rage Pro AGP 2x,with 4mb of VRAM. but stuff about this should definitely go under Hardware, so thats what i have done :P
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
asus p2l97, bios, cpu, processor, windows

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!