Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Major Problem with Video Driver in Windows 3.1 (unable to acces it) need help asap

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Jul-2012, 07:02 AM #1
Major Problem with Video Driver in Windows 3.1 (unable to acces it) need help asap
Hi,

So i installed a real original copy of win 3.1 a while ago over dos 6.0 thats been preserved in a old computer for a while. Its runs in standard VGA with 16 colors.

So i have a ton of dos/3.1 games and graphic design software add ons that ONLY run on it, not win xp or 7 through dosbox, and some were giving me trouble lately saying they couldn't install as they need 256 colors. So find this site: (http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/...csDrivers.html) and quickly load up a compressed "S3 graphics drivers" file on a floppy disk and then load it up on my older computer ( then same exact steps as below):

S3 Graphics
To install the S3 graphics drivers:
  1. extract S3DRIVERS.ZIP to "C:\DOSBOXC\S3".
  2. Start Windows 3x in DOSBox.
  3. In the Main group, open Windows Setup.
  4. Go to "Options" > "Change System Settings..."
  5. In the "Display" drop down, select "Other display (Requires disk from OEM)..."
  6. In the popup window, type the path to the driver files ie "c:\s3" and click the "OK" button.
  7. Select desired display driver, such as "
    S3 864 1.41B5 640X480 256 COLORS" and click the "OK" button. Restart Windows when prompted.
After i restart my dos works fine and my screen colors are in a deep mess and refuse to start when i enter windows 3.1 from dos.

I haven't tried any games right now as it happend or anything but i have no idea how to fix this to run win 3.1!!!

what i should do to get it to work again as normal stanard 16 colors or perphaps solve the original problem?? Here's what i thought buy either:

-deleting or changing the new driver to go back to the old one
-re-installing win 3.1 ( i lost the original disks) is it possible to download?
-Moving 3.1 through Dos box on my xp. ('ve got a working floppy drive) tried it once i. couldn't figure it out or get a proper download.

But i need your help explaining how to do these or anything else!!

honestly aside of managing to figure out how to run old games, softwares and the basics i don't know much about how to run old programs or let alone computers that well.

I really need immediate help from someone please. Thanks!!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!