Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Earlier Versions of Windows Earlier Versions of Windows
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Old Compaq PC wont boot.

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Aug-2012, 02:06 PM #1
Thumbs down Old Compaq PC wont boot.
Alright so we have an old Compaq computer that refuses to boot up. After it starts up it ends on a screen that says
"Non-System Disk or Disk Error."
Why exactly does it show this? My guess is that either the system BIOs are crapped up or the operating system is missing. (my Dad got it years ago when company he worked for was shutting down a particular office.)
Any Ideas or solutions would be appreciated.
Also when booting I went to setup menu and wrote down the following info if it helps.
System Information:
Compaq Workstation W6000 (says Compaq Evo W6000 on the actual pc cover by the way)
Processor Type: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor 1700MHz
Processor Speed: 1700/400 MHz
Processor 0 Stepping: F0A
Processor 1 Stepping: - - -
Cache Size (L1/L2): 8/256 KB
Memory Size: 2048 MB
Integrated Mac: 0002A562CD3A
System ROM: 686P8 V1.05

Also Id Prefer Solutions that do not involve Diskettes seeing as the metal cover of one has become stuck in the drive and id rather not mess with at the moment unless its the only way of course.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
05-Aug-2012, 02:41 PM #2
That message generally means that the operating system can't be found. Sometimes it is because there is a disk or floppy in the drive and it is set to boot from one of them.

If the floppy is defective, disconnect it. Go to BIOS setup and make sure that all floppy options are disabled. Check the boot order while you are there.

Does the machine have a hard drive? Can you tell if it spins?

You could also try booting with a CD or USB stick with an OS on it to make sure the machine works and take a look at the drives and partitions.

Parted Magic disk partitioning, PC repair, and file recovery tool (Bootable CD or USB image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
Member with 5 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 02:52 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
That message generally means that the operating system can't be found. Sometimes it is because there is a disk or floppy in the drive and it is set to boot from one of them.

If the floppy is defective, disconnect it. Go to BIOS setup and make sure that all floppy options are disabled. Check the boot order while you are there.

Does the machine have a hard drive? Can you tell if it spins?

You could also try booting with a CD or USB stick with an OS on it to make sure the machine works and take a look at the drives and partitions.

Parted Magic disk partitioning, PC repair, and file recovery tool (Bootable CD or USB image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
Yes I just came back to add that I finally caught on and saw a message basically saying the OS was missing. I didn't see before because it only shows for quick sec before saying non-system disc. Anyways Basically it appears It needs a new OS. (basically I have been thinking this was the prob for awhile but wasn't sure, especially since my dad is convinced it has always had an operating system and never had problems booting before. he thinks previously it booted fine but he didnt have password so couldn't log in. Personally I dont remember that but its beside the point. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I dont believe my dad managed to get an OS install CD with it so that may pose a problem heh...
Member with 2,625 posts.

15-Aug-2012, 11:24 AM #4
it probably needs a new cmos battery inside on motherboard

did you hit del or f10 or f2 and see if you can get into cmos /bios and auto detect the hard drive?
Member with 5 posts.

15-Aug-2012, 04:11 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
it probably needs a new cmos battery inside on motherboard

did you hit del or f10 or f2 and see if you can get into cmos /bios and auto detect the hard drive?
Would you mind explaining what you mean by auto detect the hard drive?
Member with 44,555 posts.

16-Aug-2012, 11:39 PM #6
I think what steppenwolf meant was that if you can get into the BIOS setup and make sure that the Motherboard recognizes your Hard Drive and that sometimes you have to use the auto-detect feature to make sure of your Drive...Also you might get inside the box to make sure any cables didn't come loose...
Member with 2,625 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 12:38 AM #7
on a compaq you hit f2 key i think to get to bios or f10?most its deetel key

bios screen appears then-first screen is harddrive floppy cd listed time day year--second screen is booting order whether floppy or cd rom or usb cd rom

newer ones dont have auto detect screen, so go to first screen scroll down with keyboard arrow to hard disc hit enter-any numbers appear?
Member with 5 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 10:34 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
on a compaq you hit f2 key i think to get to bios or f10?most its deetel key

bios screen appears then-first screen is harddrive floppy cd listed time day year--second screen is booting order whether floppy or cd rom or usb cd rom

newer ones dont have auto detect screen, so go to first screen scroll down with keyboard arrow to hard disc hit enter-any numbers appear?
yah, f10 is just system settings, f9 is boot order screen, then f12 is network system boot (which i should maybe look up exactly what that is in case it might be of use with this prob. {shrug} )
anyways none of em seem to have any sort of auto detect.
P.S. : update: thinking i will try the linux boot isos again except with a flash drive. does anyone happen to know how i can make roxio creator burn iso to flash drive as it only shows option for disk drive and it sounds like may not be one for flash even after i plug one in.
Member with 2,625 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 02:54 PM #9
not yet dont use linux

did you see hard drive settings yet?

size of disc and all that in bios?
Member with 2,625 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 02:58 PM #10
how old is this computer?

i think up till about 1996 there were computers that you had to remember the harddrive settings to set it
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bios, boot, compaq, operating system

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!